PDA

View Full Version : 1998 XJ Tilt Steering Wheel Repair

Mudderoy
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Last Thursday my wife and I went into Houston to visit my elderly Aunt in the hospital. I adjust my tilt steering wheel each time I get in or out of the Jeep. My leg usually hits the bottom of the steering wheel getting out.

I was adjusting the steering wheel so I could see the speedometer and all the sudden the adjustment lever went loose. It was like it wasn't connected any longer. The steering wheel was locked into place.

I didn't feel a pop like something had broken inside.

A recent trip to Matt's shop he was handing me interior parts from a 2001 XJ he was going to have towed off. One of the items was a steering column. So after the tilt stopped working, I just went and had a look at the 2001 steering column.

There is a cable that runs between the lever and a metal tab about 5 inches further down the steering column. I figured that cable must have come loose or broke.

Yesterday evening since I was taking the dash out under the steering column I decided to have a look on my 1998. The cable had indeed broke, or I guess more accurately the little metal cylinder on one end of the cable had come off.

First I removed the good tilt steering cable from the 2001 steering column on the bench. I used that knowledge to help remove the damaged cable from the 1998. It took a good few minutes to get them both out. The 1998 was more difficult since I had to lay on my back in the front seat.

Finally I was able to get them removed and reinstalled. Looking at the broken tilt steering cable it appeared that the cable had just simply pulled out of the cylinder. I ran a 1/16 inch drill bit through the hole and reinserted the cable. I then used my vice to re-crimp the cylinder to the cable.

I installed the formally broken tilt steering cable back on the 2001 steering column so I wouldn't loose it.

{Pictures to follow}

weimgl
03-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Did you have to remove the airbag and then the steering wheel to repair the broken tilt steering cable? I have an 01 Cherokee that I bought for my 16 year old son just 2 weeks ago. This is my first Jeep and we are looking forward to making some mods over the next few years together. Love the show and thanks for your help.

Where do I find the pictures on this post? Hard to find using my mobile device. It sounds like I have the same issue as you did. This is my first attempt at repairing anything on my new Jeep.

Thanks again - weimgl

Mudderoy
03-29-2017, 01:34 AM
Sorry I don't think I took any pictures. It's been a while back. As I recall it was under the steering column driver's side. Friend of mine had given me a bunch of stuff from a 2000 XJ he bought for parts, and a steering column was of those things. I just took it off from it.

It's out in the garage, when I get a chance I'll dig it out and take a picture.

The only thing that may have to have been disassembled would have been the cover around the column.

Did you have to remove the airbag and then the steering wheel to repair the broken tilt steering cable? I have an 01 Cherokee that I bought for my 16 year old son just 2 weeks ago. This is my first Jeep and we are looking forward to making some mods over the next few years together. Love the show and thanks for your help.

Where do I find the pictures on this post? Hard to find using my mobile device. It sounds like I have the same issue as you did. This is my first attempt at repairing anything on my new Jeep.

Thanks again - weimgl

weimgl
03-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Oddly enough, the guy I bought the XJ off of threw in an old steering column. He thought I would need it to.fix the turns signal on the Jeep. As it turns out, all I had to do was to replace a fuse. I think I remember seeing a cable on the spare column for the tilt. Do you recall if there are any electrical wires I'll need to unplug to do this repair? Should I unhook the battery before I start?

Started listening to old runs of the show and one of the first episodes I downloaded was one where Your call in guy did his 3 minute wale impression....classic! Thanks for the tips I'm sure I'll need a lot of them. Oh one more - what is the best way to bring the black back into the side trim panels and the front and rear bumpers? Heat gun, back to back cleaner/resurfacer, other methods? Have a great week!

prerunner1982
03-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Greg, welcome from OKCish...

Started listening to old runs of the show and one of the first episodes I downloaded was one where Your call in guy did his 3 minute wale impression....classic! Thanks for the tips I'm sure I'll need a lot of them. Oh one more - what is the best way to bring the black back into the side trim panels and the front and rear bumpers? Heat gun, back to back cleaner/resurfacer, other methods? Have a great week!

Ohh NickyG, that's great. Hopefully you find DenverD1's voicemail about the walking dead and the retaliation from Tony and Josh, it's classic.

As far as the graying issue.. replace the parts or heat gun is probably your best bet. None of the back to black type products are very long term and the heat gun probably isn't either but maybe longer than the chemical products.

Mudderoy
04-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Oddly enough, the guy I bought the XJ off of threw in an old steering column. He thought I would need it to.fix the turns signal on the Jeep. As it turns out, all I had to do was to replace a fuse. I think I remember seeing a cable on the spare column for the tilt. Do you recall if there are any electrical wires I'll need to unplug to do this repair? Should I unhook the battery before I start?

Oh there may be a series of steps you SHOULD take, but all I did was replace that little cable, and I don't remember if I removed anything other than the broken cable. Perhaps the cover around the column.

NickyG! Yeah that was funny.

weimgl
04-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Tilt wheel is fixed. Took off the panel to access the radio, then unscrews the four screws to remove the dash cover panel. Then removed the panel that covers the heat shield under the steering column and the heat shield itself. Next I removed the three screws that hold the two plastic trim pieces that wrap the steering column. This gave me a clear shot see the cord that broke. It's a piece of steel cord about 1/16" dia that has a black plastic tube around it. At the two ends there is a metal "T" piece that the metal cord is attached to. To remove the cord I used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend back the clip that holds the "T" in place at the column side. The steering wheel side is held in by a plastic clip. In replaced
The broken cord with the the spare cord I had and put the dash all back together. There was no electrical to unhook. Thanks for all your help and I hope this thread will help the next guy who has the same issue.

At the same time, I fixed the speaker wire in the drivers door along with re-soldering the motherboard to the drivers door lock and window controls. Lock and windows were not working properly watched a couple of YouTube videos and figured out how to fix that electrical issue. Just a few hours in the garage and I've learned that working on the XJ can be addicting....Thanks again for your help!

nickyg
04-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Started listening to old runs of the show and one of the first episodes I downloaded was one where Your call in guy did his 3 minute wale impression....classic!

Thanks for the shout out.
But it wasn't an impression. I really can talk to whales.... And toasters too but they're self centered and pretty much want to talk about themselves most of the time so I avoid them.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the shout out.
But it wasn't an impression. I really can talk to whales.... And toasters too but they're self centered and pretty much want to talk about themselves most of the time so I avoid them.

So, do the whales come to you or run away when you talk to them :p

Mudderoy
04-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Mudderoy
04-09-2017, 06:44 AM
http://amzn.to/2oSqxne

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71lZ5EBI14L._SL1500_.jpg

denverd1
04-24-2017, 11:36 PM
Ha!! Wale (wall-ay) is a rapper... i thought NickyG was impersonating rappers now. Yes the whale bit is a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk