PDA

View Full Version : 96 oil filter question

torque
06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Ok, so I did the first oil change on my xj tonight.

PO must have been angry because the drain plug required a cheater bar to get out. I am not the strongest guy in the world but usually drain plugs don't kick my butt.

oil came out black, but no coolant and nothing unusual.

The oil filter on the other hand... WOW!

I had a heck of a time getting that thing out and the new one back in. I only have a single old school oil filter wrench. the old metal kind... not much room to work in there.

So my question is what is the secret combination? What do you guys use to get the filter on and off? a strap or filter pliers? there has to be a better way than that old wrench I had tonight. I feel like there has to be a better way.

jccatt
06-17-2011, 10:21 PM
I got some filter pliers after I slipped with the screw driver and broke the oil pressure sensor. Dam expensive oil change that one. :sad0147:

knothead96xj
06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
i use a strap wrench on my jeep. seems to work easiest for me. i do oil changes on our equipment at work, so i have strap wrenches of all sizes, filter pliers and the socket kind for our ford 1/2 tons. (nothing else works on them) the right tool for the right job...

LizardRunner
06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I use a strap wrench but have been thinking of getting a filter end cap socket rig http://www.ctatools.com/oilfilter.html or this type http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/filterwrenches.aspx

cpttuna
08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I use a strap wrench. I also use a 3 step step stool to give myself a better angle on removal and instalation. I place it beside the tire. May I also mention that there is the regular oil filter for the cherokee and the oversize filter that you may purchase (depending on what brand you use). for instance- the regular NAPA gold filter is the 1085. the oversize filter is the NAPA gold 1515. hope this helps.

pikapp504
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
If you don't have a strap wrench or anything but your hands, try this trick:

Take off your leather belt, wrap it around the filter so that is cinches down around it and the long, free end dangles down between the filter and the block. Get underneath, pull on belt, filter should start to spin off.

Learned that trick from a buddy of mine on his Honda (even less room to work).