PDA

View Full Version : Non Centered Axle, Big Vibration, and Track Bar Question

Fred Garvin
06-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a 95 XJ with a 4.5" Rough Country lift. I purchased the vehicle already lifted. It has a nasty high speed vibration coming from the front end. I rebuilt the transfer case and found a bad front output bearing. The vibration is still there. This isn't a wobbly tire vibration but a high speed vibration throughout the vehicle. There isn't an adjustable track bar and, as a result, the axle sticks pushes out around 1.5" on the driver's side. I'm thinking this is causing the high speed vibration due to the differential gears being in a bind. Has anyone experienced this or am I way off base? The front diff has plenty of fluid.

Thanks in advance,

Erich

4.3LXJ
06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't think your vibration is the fault of the axle alignment. But I would be looking at that front drive line. Examine it. If you can't find anything wrong with it, remove it and see if it is still there.

bigjim350
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I would check hub bearings, and front driveshaft.

knothead96xj
06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
i had the same vibration when i lifted mine. i didnt have a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and the rear driveshaft would vibrate at higher speeds. i put the stock spring shackles back on to lower the rear and the vibration stopped. might not be your problem, but its something to check...

LizardRunner
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
first things that come to mind are like jim said, front hub bearings and front drive shaft. If those check out then move on to rear drive shaft. After that check to see if trans has been dropped 1" cause on 4.5" lifts that sometimes works in lieu of the SYE. Also check the tie rod ends. Might also check the UCA and LCA bushings for wear. Then get an adjustable track bar and install it just to be safe and sure.

default83
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
pull the front driveshaft and drive it, i can almost promise thats the problem, i would not keep driving with it, it will DESTROY the transfer case.

either that or bad u joints in the back.

Fred Garvin
06-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions. It has a new yoke on the back, both driveshafts were dial indicated okay, and it has the transfer case drop spacers. I'll pull the front drive shaft and see if that makes a difference. Pardon the stupid question but do I have to worry about the yoke coming out of the front differential turning or getting damaged while I drive?

Again, thanks in advance!

Erich

jccatt
06-18-2011, 04:21 AM
No mate. I took my front drive shaft out and drove it for a couple of weeks. No dramas.

Fred Garvin
06-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Okay, I pulled the front drive shaft off the old girl and the vibration is completely gone. I'm thinking that the front diff gears are okay since there isn't a vibration. I did notice that the shimmy in the front end at 50 mph is a little more pronounced with the driveshaft out.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that the front axle shift is putting the driveline in a bind and causing the vibration. I'll probably take it to a 4 wheel drive shop for a thorough check out at this point. At least I can drive it without fear of tearing up the transfer case while the wife's car is in the shop.

Thank you to all for the great ideas as I try to work through this. I really enjoy this type of troubleshooting!!

Erich

default83
06-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Okay, I pulled the front drive shaft off the old girl and the vibration is completely gone. I'm thinking that the front diff gears are okay since there isn't a vibration. I did notice that the shimmy in the front end at 50 mph is a little more pronounced with the driveshaft out.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that the front axle shift is putting the driveline in a bind and causing the vibration. I'll probably take it to a 4 wheel drive shop for a thorough check out at this point. At least I can drive it without fear of tearing up the transfer case while the wife's car is in the shop.

Thank you to all for the great ideas as I try to work through this. I really enjoy this type of troubleshooting!!

Erich

get the front driveshaft rebuilt the vibration will go away. the shimmy could be tires? idk

OrangeXJ
06-22-2011, 08:13 AM
get the front driveshaft rebuilt the vibration will go away. the shimmy could be tires? idk

x2 my front axel is not centered and I have no vibration

4.3LXJ
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you are dealing with two different issues. One is a worn out CV joint on the front drive line and the other is death wobble, a common issue after a lift. Since you are off center anyway, I would suggest getting and installing a new adjustable track bar. Get someone to saw your steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the front end components. Fix anything that moves when it is not supposed to. Also get that front end shop to check your castor angle while your at it.