PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery

da9r00d
06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
does anyone know what Optima battery fits best in an 88 XJ? also i was looking for a yellow or blue top, anyone using either?

4.3LXJ
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I can't remember what group the XJ is supposed to have, but I currently have a red and yellow top in mine. yellow and blue are both good batteries.

JENSSEN
06-16-2011, 12:35 AM
I have had very little luck with the red tops,... Replaced at least 2 in the last few years , maybe the yellows or up are better

xjrev10
06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I had a red top that went with my 2000 XJ when I sold it. Going on 6 years at that time..

bluedragon436
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
WEll we use Optima batteries in all of our equipment and most of our vehicles on the flightline with the USAF, so must not be too bad..
I have owned a red top that was in my wife's Tiburon for almost five years with a full audio setup on it, that ran two fairly large amps any time the car was on. Even powered the system through a few competitions and was still working flawlessly the day we sold the car, and from the current owner tells me it is still providing awesome power almost three years after that.. so now sitting at 7years of use.

I had a Yellow top in my 00' Cougar which provided great power for 5 years, and then sat for over two years, and still started the car. I will be purchasing a Yellow top for my XJ as soon as I have the money to spare, or my current battery dies, which ever occurs first!!

modestmar00xj
06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
yeah i have a red top and its doing great!

LizardRunner
06-27-2011, 09:55 AM
The red top is a cranking battery or just for starting. The Yellow top is a cranking/deep cycle battery which means it will take recharges better than a red top. The blue top is a marine deep cycle battery designed for trolling motors and so on. I'd go with a yellow top if your planning on having things like aux. lights that may be on when the engine is turned off. My plans are for two of these located where the rear seat used to be so they are out of sight and no battery is in the engine bay.

Metlic53
06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
i put a stowaway (marine boat) battery from academy in my XJ. 58 bucks and it works great. 1000 amps and 800 CCA. I had one in a boat of ours that was 7 years old and died, went in and they replaced it for free. LOL :rolleye0012:

LizardRunner
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I have one of those in my boat for the trolling motor and fish finder, works all day just great, recharges pretty fast too. the only reason I will most likely be using the optima or similar is because I may be mounting them on their side to get clearance.

Mudderoy
06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I wanted a yellow top at the time but bought a red top instead. Since we have a 1999 Jeep now as finances allow I may get a yellow top for the 98 and move the red top to the 99.

Hmmm I'll have to get a trickle charger for the Interstate battery and keep it for something, maybe a good jump start battery.

jccatt
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Would the blue top be better than the yellow?