PDA

View Full Version : Brakes! Beware of Brake only shops!

Mudderoy
06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Have you ever taken your XJ to "Just Brakes" or any shop that just does brakes?

They may have a special where they'll do your brakes for $99.95 but by the time they are done with the "free" brake inspection you'll be up to $500.

I took my 1998 to "Just Brakes" about 9 years ago. I had them do the free inspection. They said I needed brake calipers. I asked how much was that, $430!

OMG! Recently I change the brake calipers, rotors and pads for $120

Of course caliper prices could have really dropped in the last 9 years! :poke:

LizardRunner
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
wow, that's about what I will be spending for the Wilwood upgrade binders. can't imagine stock parts costing that kind a cash except at a stealership.

bigjim350
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
You could take a brand new car off the lot to a "Just Brakes" and they will tell ya all kinds of things it has to have.

LizardRunner
06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
dang vampires always trying to suck ya dry.

KH96XJ
06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I've had similar experience with them in the past and discourage anyone from going there.

xj4life2
06-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Have you ever taken your XJ to "Just Brakes" or any shop that just does brakes?

They may have a special where they'll do your brakes for $99.95 but by the time they are done with the "free" brake inspection you'll be up to $500.

I took my 1998 to "Just Brakes" about 9 years ago. I had them do the free inspection. They said I needed brake calipers. I asked how much was that, $430!

OMG! Recently I change the brake calipers, rotors and pads for $120

Of course caliper prices could have really dropped in the last 9 years! :poke:

I wish I could tell ya that was true but in my 35yrs in this business I've yet to see prices go down on anything. Nice savings by DIY'n !!!

Mudderoy
06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I wish I could tell ya that was true but in my 35yrs in this business I've yet to see prices go down on anything. Nice savings by DIY'n !!!

lol yeah I was being sarcastic about the price drop. And seeing how you guys do brake jobs there I'll add. I don't have ANY problem with a business making a profit for a job well done. I can see how a complete break job could be in the $200 to $300 range because of the parts and labor involved, but $430 to replace the calipers?!?!?!? That's what I'm warning people about.

OrangeXJ
06-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Same thing happened to me several years ago. Said I needed calipers. Still have the same calipers and they are still working fine.

msmoorenburg
06-09-2011, 07:26 AM
After a panic service call to Brake Check (car stuck on a lift for a week) I rolled up and was like everyone of these guy's can peel a ball bearing blind. Well 15 mins later the car was off the lift and I was happy to return the favor on the bill :D

LizardRunner
06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm amazed that any company that is so blatant about ripping off the customer is still in business. I got burned one time in while I was at Pensacola NAS by a shop. I told everyone I knew and posted to many bulleten boards about this business, a week later they were no longer there, closed up tighter than a drum. Word of mouth works both ways for a business. Best part was I told the owner that I was going to run his a out of business. Last time I saw the sucker, he glared at me, then said "thanks a lot". I just said, guess you didn't think I knew how to ruin you did ya. Now a days we can get the word out via so many ways, it's just stupid for a business to try and rip you off, if you take the time to say your piece to the world on facebook, twitter, and all the other sites available for reviews.

4.3LXJ
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Another one to watch is the minute lube outfits. They will always offer to pump your oil out of your power steering pump because it is dirty. They only get half the oil out anyway and then offer to do it the next time. Same with your diff oil. And they are notorious for stripping threads on the fill or drain plugs.

1ATony
06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
We shoot a ton of brake repair videos over here and place them on our YouTube channel.

Your welcome to share them if you would like. Here's a link to our channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1aauto

Mudderoy
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
We shoot a ton of brake repair videos over here and place them on our YouTube channel.

Your welcome to share them if you would like. Here's a link to our channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1aauto

Thanks, and of course you are welcome to put the link on the site.

http://youtu.be/UU8DO-nofmE

candorich
03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
my rear drums are making me worry....need some rebuilding...drums, shoes, wheel cylinders.....all MIAMI brake repair joints have mixed reviews....never done drums (just disc) but seems like I should be able to go for it since I FEAR local mechanics(?)....Thanks for your inputs, as always....

4.3LXJ
03-01-2013, 07:20 PM
If you do get into them, do yourself a favor and get some brake spring tools. They aren't expensive and make the job go many times faster and easier.

bigjim350
03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Drum brakes really arent that bad. If your new to them, jack up the rear, take both rear wheels and drums off. That way while your replacing the brakes on one side, you can look at the other side to see how stuff goes back on if you dont remember. I have the drum brake spring tools, but usually dont try to hunt them down, just use a good pair of vise grips.

Mudderoy
03-03-2013, 08:24 AM
my rear drums are making me worry....need some rebuilding...drums, shoes, wheel cylinders.....all MIAMI brake repair joints have mixed reviews....never done drums (just disc) but seems like I should be able to go for it since I FEAR local mechanics(?)....Thanks for your inputs, as always....

http://youtu.be/MCpCkun2qxA

candorich
03-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Got a "rear brake service bundle" (drums, shoes, bunch of little things) from Morris 4x4 with rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders. Hope I have a DANA rear end with 9" ers. Saw video of a guy that just used vice grips on the springs. Any thoughts?

Mudderoy
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Got a "rear brake service bundle" (drums, shoes, bunch of little things) from Morris 4x4 with rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders. Hope I have a DANA rear end with 9" ers. Saw video of a guy that just used vice grips on the springs. Any thoughts?

Yeah you can do the drums with needle nose and tools you already have, it's just easier with the right tools, you know like most things.

I bought some drum tools recently when I thought my drum brakes were going out. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing unit.

4.3LXJ
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
I did without tools for awhile. But the right tools keep the springs from flying when the pliers let go.

Mudderoy
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I did without tools for awhile. But the right tools keep the springs from flying when the pliers let go.

lol yeah! That's the exciting part followed by the boring searching part.

candorich
03-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback....after watching the Mudderroy supplied video I think I'll save my knuckles and buy the "tool".

dondale13
12-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Ever try a 'Midas' shop? They're even bigger crooks! A guy I knew took his car there, they quoted him $430 to do the front brakes on an '84 Chevette. I got him taken care of under $100