PDA

View Full Version : Welcome torque!!!

rguignard
06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi torque, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

torque
06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey everyone...

I guess I will post my intro here. I was for a long time a wrangler only guy, Had a wrangler YJ and it was rear ended and totaled out so it is currently in storage awaitng a rebuild. I started to fall in love with the cherokee a little while ago and the small cars I have been driving since my jeep was hit aren't doing it for me. I ruined a brand new set of tires last winter in PA trying to get up the hill to my house and my car is utterly useless in anything beyond a dusting of snow so the decision was made. I need a jeep.
I started looking and found one on CL and I am currenlty working on the purchase and I want to learn more about them from the folks who have been driving them.
Visited the forums after hearing the podcast and saw some cool stuff and even saw some very polite answers to posts, makes me think this is my kind of forum.

my ride is going to be a 1996 cherokee sport, it is bone stock and high mileage but the mechanics are all in order and from what I could tell the owners have done their best to keep it in good shape under the hood. the interior is beat, and there is very minimal rust. so I think I got a solid starting platform.

I will probably drive it stock for a little while, and fix the cosmetic stuff, but basically much to the dismay of most net-wheelers, I am not going to go nuts with it when I do get around to building it a little bit. I am not looking to make a trail rig, I basically need to be able to get out and go in snow and ice, I live on a farm and am about 4 miles from any main road, so in the event of an emergency I have to be able to make it to at least a main road. my neighbors are 75 years old so being able to get them out would be nice too.

I think my plans will be 3" of lift, I don't want to fool with sye eliminators and all that.
the biggest tires i can stuff under it with the lift...
some basic utility stuff (lights, roof rack, CB, hi lift mount position, recovery gear etc)
I am just so sick of snow here in PA after last winter and the one before. it basically shut everything down couldn't leave the house. I want to look at 12" of snow like a kid again!

I welcome advice and opinions, look forward to chatting up.

Mat

steph74
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
welcome to the forum, I know you are going to like it here ;)

Mudderoy
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Hey everyone...

I guess I will post my intro here. I was for a long time a wrangler only guy, Had a wrangler YJ and it was rear ended and totaled out so it is currently in storage awaitng a rebuild. I started to fall in love with the cherokee a little while ago and the small cars I have been driving since my jeep was hit aren't doing it for me. I ruined a brand new set of tires last winter in PA trying to get up the hill to my house and my car is utterly useless in anything beyond a dusting of snow so the decision was made. I need a jeep.
I started looking and found one on CL and I am currenlty working on the purchase and I want to learn more about them from the folks who have been driving them.
Visited the forums after hearing the podcast and saw some cool stuff and even saw some very polite answers to posts, makes me think this is my kind of forum.

my ride is going to be a 1996 cherokee sport, it is bone stock and high mileage but the mechanics are all in order and from what I could tell the owners have done their best to keep it in good shape under the hood. the interior is beat, and there is very minimal rust. so I think I got a solid starting platform.

I will probably drive it stock for a little while, and fix the cosmetic stuff, but basically much to the dismay of most net-wheelers, I am not going to go nuts with it when I do get around to building it a little bit. I am not looking to make a trail rig, I basically need to be able to get out and go in snow and ice, I live on a farm and am about 4 miles from any main road, so in the event of an emergency I have to be able to make it to at least a main road. my neighbors are 75 years old so being able to get them out would be nice too.

I think my plans will be 3" of lift, I don't want to fool with sye eliminators and all that.
the biggest tires i can stuff under it with the lift...
some basic utility stuff (lights, roof rack, CB, hi lift mount position, recovery gear etc)
I am just so sick of snow here in PA after last winter and the one before. it basically shut everything down couldn't leave the house. I want to look at 12" of snow like a kid again!

I welcome advice and opinions, look forward to chatting up.

Mat

Thanks for the podcast reference. It cheers me up that someone not only listens, but helped someone join because of it.

Sounds like a great plan you have there, the only thing I'd recommend is talking to a few guys on here that said the same thing about going with a 3" lift. Specifically rguignard. :D

torque
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I know that it seems a little mall-crawler...

I dont want to have to add an SYE, get double cardon shafts, change the brake lines etc.
I found out that the jeep came with a dana 35, not the best thing but it will be fine for my purposes.
The whole Idea for this thing in mind is to not lok bubbafied, to have the essential 4WD capabilities, and be the DD and parts run car for basically forever. I have no problem putting a new/reman engine in this thing vs buying a new car I hate 99% of the new cars. It needs to get me up and down the highway, get me to work and conquer snow like it was it's job. all the while looking respactable. Dont plan to do any trails with this thing, absolutely no mud. in the end if more lift is needed then I guess it is what it is. I was thinking with good snow tires and some chains I could basically get everywhere I wanted.

My real toy will be Molly, the 1991 wrangler that is currently in my parents driveway back home. That jeep is going frame off and getting the whole nine yards. But that isn't happening until I get the cherokee in right order.

Yep listened to the podcast, liked what I heard so far and I have nothing but pity for you working on that mustang. I was actually dissapointed that it was on central time, I was in bed when you went live :(

Mudderoy
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I know that it seems a little mall-crawler...

I dont want to have to add an SYE, get double cardon shafts, change the brake lines etc.
I found out that the jeep came with a dana 35, not the best thing but it will be fine for my purposes.
The whole Idea for this thing in mind is to not lok bubbafied, to have the essential 4WD capabilities, and be the DD and parts run car for basically forever. I have no problem putting a new/reman engine in this thing vs buying a new car I hate 99% of the new cars. It needs to get me up and down the highway, get me to work and conquer snow like it was it's job. all the while looking respactable. Dont plan to do any trails with this thing, absolutely no mud. in the end if more lift is needed then I guess it is what it is. I was thinking with good snow tires and some chains I could basically get everywhere I wanted.

My real toy will be Molly, the 1991 wrangler that is currently in my parents driveway back home. That jeep is going frame off and getting the whole nine yards. But that isn't happening until I get the cherokee in right order.

Yep listened to the podcast, liked what I heard so far and I have nothing but pity for you working on that mustang. I was actually dissapointed that it was on central time, I was in bed when you went live :(

Yep, I still need to do the SYE on mine. I want to get rid of my 1" transfer case drop, but after 3 years and a few off road trips I'm happy with my 4.5" lift.

Dirtboundoffroad.com (an xjtalk vendor) has a nice SYE.

torque
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
LOL you love your lift!
What brand stuff did you use, or would you recommend?
I am completely new to cherokees so I honestly haven't started planning the lift out or anything.
I do know that I am going to go to team cherokee and get the all OEM tune up kit, are they a sponsor?

cantab27
06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
welcome to xjtalk.....sounds like you have a good plan for your jeep...I'm running a 3" lift and am happy with it....keep us updated with progress pics ,,,and ask questions ,,I'm sure someone one here will help....you will be surprised what they can do stock with a decent set of rubber on them..

Mudderoy
06-10-2011, 01:50 PM
LOL you love your lift!
What brand stuff did you use, or would you recommend?
I am completely new to cherokees so I honestly haven't started planning the lift out or anything.
I do know that I am going to go to team cherokee and get the all OEM tune up kit, are they a sponsor?

I've only used one lift, on my now first XJ, I just got a 99 for the wife. Rough Country. I've been really happy with it. Many people say that Rubicon Express flexes better and rides better, but sadly I'll never know since they are out of production (out of business). They were quite a bit more expensive than Rough Country.

No, Team Cherokee isn't a vendor here.

LizardRunner
06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Greetings and welcome aboard

rguignard
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
im running a 3 in lift as well and 33's will fit but with LOTS of trimming lol ask cantab27 or myself btw we like pics

4.3LXJ
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Mat

A 3" lift with a full leaf pack and coils, shocks etc are your best bang for the buck. You can run stock control arms and brake lines etc. You can also easily run 10.50X31 tires on your stock rims, or aftermarket rims if you prefer. I chose to use stock rims for about 5 years because I could stuff the tires without problems. With a 3" lift you shouldn't need an SYE. When you get around to it, there is an article here on setting up the pinion angle so it won't vibrate. If you have any further questions about it, I can help you with it.

bluedragon436
06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk Mat!! Look forward to seeing the progress of your Cherokee once you get it.. I know of quite a few folks that are running 4.5" lifts with a 1" TC drop and have been running that setup for quite a few years, and on some pretty heavy wheeling trips with no issues. I myself have been running almost 7" of lift for just about a year now with just a 1" TC drop, so you would probably be just fine picking up a RC 4.5" kit that has the TC drop in it and running that with some 32's.

torque
06-10-2011, 08:29 PM
OK, so I am excited!

Tonight, about 2.5 hours ago I arrived at the notary, gave my cash to the PO, and took keys to my new to me 1996 cherokee sport.

Dear Mat:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center with your
build information request.

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.

According to our records, this vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

Sales Code Description
*J5 Cloth/Vinyl High-Back Bucket Seats
ADLP Skid Plate Group
APCP Center Band Two Tone Paint
ARWP Sport Decor Group
AWE Up Country Suspension Group
AWH Power Equipment Group
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGK 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
CADP High Back Bucket Seats
CDBP Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CGTS Driver Air Bag Only
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Rear Back Panel Cut Away
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAP Spare Tire Cover
CSC Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUFP Full Length Floor Console
CUN Overhead Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSS Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GAL Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEHS Fixed Door Vent Glass
GFA Rear Window Defroster
GRKP Left Power Mirror
GSKP Right Power Mirror
GTK Power Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDP Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
K27P STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MB1S Black Front Bumper
MB5S Black Rear Bumper
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFFS Black Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MUKS MOPAR Chrome Bodyside Molding
MWGP Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHM Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PR4 Flame Red Clear Coat
QX9P Black
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RABS AM/FM Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDUP Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SH8P Delete Rear Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRNP P225/75R15 OWL Wrangler AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJ5P 15X7.0 Full-Face Steel Wheels
WKDP 17" Aluminum Spare Wheel
WLYC All Steel Wheels
XEAP Tow Hooks
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thanks again for your email and enjoy your day and I hope this helps
with your purchase decision.

Sincerely,

Lorrie

Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center

Pics coming Sunday Night!
So pumped!

bigjim350
06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Well it sounds like it has quite a bit of the good stuff from the factory. Congrats on the new XJ, and welcome to the site.

4.3LXJ
06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
:congrats::woot:

oderdene
06-10-2011, 10:14 PM
congrats and welcome to xjtalk.

mine had a 3" lift and running 31x10.5, mainly DD, frequently drive to suburb, I hate stop somewhere due to snow, mud, obstacles etc.

4x4Dalton
06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey there Mat welcome to xjtalk. You can also do a 4.5 lift without a SYE trust me I know...lol. I have a Junkyard 4.5 lift on mine. Here's a link to a thread I started with a list of Junkyard parts you can use to make a lift. If you decide to go that route give me a hollar on here I can help ya out any way I can bro. Again welcome man seems you will fit right in here.:welcome:
Bear

torque
06-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks bernard

I am all about saving money so I may just look into that route. However I will definitely need to put steps on the side as the GF is only 5'2" and the GF's G-mom is over 70 and both ride with me regularly.

I wont be doing a lift on this beast until probably next year in the spring/early summer.

4x4Dalton
06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
LOL!!! I know how ya feel bro. My wife is 5ft4 so I know all about side steps. But she doesnt ride much so I just made a lil step stool. But when ever yer ready let me know I will help ya with budget lift info anyway I can.

Mudderoy
06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks bernard

I am all about saving money so I may just look into that route. However I will definitely need to put steps on the side as the GF is only 5'2" and the GF's G-mom is over 70 and both ride with me regularly.

I wont be doing a lift on this beast until probably next year in the spring/early summer.

My wife is 5'2" no problem getting in or out. Her Mom has ridden in the Jeep and laughs about getting in and out. She likes it.

1ATony
06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
welcome to the site