PDA

View Full Version : Welcome CherokeeNat.92!!!

cantab27
06-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi CherokeeNat.92, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

CherokeeNat.92
06-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Hey guys!!! I'm dave. lol ..sounds like i am joining a rehab support group or something. I actually found this on facebook. I have always liked jeeps but never considered buying one. Don't ask why..i actually have no clue why i didn't do it sooner. Soooo anyways..i'm in the Army and one of my friends when i got out here to Wa. State had a 03 rubicon. Thats where my love jeeps really surfaced. I bought a 98 grand cherokee in 2010. It was a pretty cool jeep..like the 5.2. However..deep inside..i wanted the 4.0 I6. And in Feb this year i got my 92 xj. Some would say i have a jeep obsession. I would say its more than that. I almost feel like i am playing catch up to the rest of the jeep world. Lets put it this way..i bought a book called the "Jeep: Owners bible". Only cost $35...but it has some cool info inside. I have learned soo much about jeeps since i got my grand, its outa control. And the best part. I have met and/or talked to soo many other cherokee and jeep owners and picked up a lot from them. And the best part..they have all been more than willing to answer questions or even come over and help me out with whatever i am trying to do to my jeep but am unsure how to do it. It really is amazing. Now don't judge me on this, but my other ride is an 07 civic coupe. Its my daily driver to and from work and helps me save on gas. Now having said that...i have given a lot of thought to selling it in the near future just because i really enjoy the jeep that much more. And i havent even taken it wheeling yet. I have been spending the better part of my time smoothing out rough areas on it. The previous owner tried to convert the power doors to manual. Thats cool and all but i would prefer that if they are power, leave them power and just get manual doors and put them on. So thats what i did. i went and picked up manual doors from, i believe it was an 89 or something. The side mirrors are different than what you usually see around. They are bolted into the side of the door. Little did i know, that model has a Dana 44 rear axle. So i changed the doors...then i got some Herculiner and i lined the inside and outside of the jeep. The new doors and body were a different shade of white and i thought i would look cool and help protect the jeep from the elements and rocks. Took about a week and a half to apply that to the jeep. Still need to touch it up in some spots but all in all looks great. And it gets lots of attention driving down the road. Even rich folk with their beamers give compliments. I guess thats pretty cool. lol. I put a brand new radiator and hoses in, new A/C compressor and idler pully and belt. Changed the T Case. Kept it a 242 though. Gonna get that resealed here shortly. Beyond that, i have a minor leak where the oil cooler lines meet the tranny and the other line on the other side of the tranny pan. They are minor though. So i got some work there. Gonna replace the valve cover gasket here shortly. It seems that's a common job on these jeeps. And then there is the brakes. Soo most of that stuff is pretty easy. Beyond that stuff, she runs like a champ. Today i heard JK coils will give me a 4" lift. I did not know that. Always learning new stuff. Its like they say..once you start a jeep project, the project never truly ends. Sooo i am gonna stop here. I look forward to talking with everyone on here and learning even more.

dave

cantab27
06-08-2011, 01:29 AM
ha ha shot dave,,, yall gonna fit in around here,..welcome to xjtalk...post some pics of ya jeep...

Mudderoy
06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey great, love the info. Seems like so many people are worried about typing too much. Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic.

CherokeeNat.92
06-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah i don't mind typing. I don't know why people would worry bout saying too much. This is my first real jeep project and its really exciting. And the best part is it doesnt have the np249. i was not a fan of the all wheel drive. Even though the 242 has the same thing on it..it also has a part time 4 hi and 4 lo. And if i want..i can be in 2wd. Eventually i may go over to the np231. For the longest time i would look at the consumer reports car rating and stuff and see their break down on the reliability of vehicles to see what i should be looking to buy. I remember hondas and toyotas and nissans and whatnot all had all red bubbles or close to it. Meaning they were very reliable in each catagory or at the very least, above average. Then i would look at domestics and most were all black or half black bubbles and its like ok..so according to this magazine..imports are awesome and domestics are just gonna break on you. And it gives people the wrong mentality. Take the I6 myself and many others have. Yes it has its qwerks. But then look at how simple the motor and components are to fix or replace. Every xj seems to have it own personality, and by personality i mean things that seem to either not work, work when you push a certain button or go through a certain routine to get it work, or they work just fine and then at random moments go nuts, stop working and work again before going nuts again. My speedometer and radio being a perfect example. I mean..why is it i need to cut on my lights for the cd player to work. Bad wiring job is why..lol. I am sure all our jeeps have something that fits in one of things one way or another. So maybe my jeep is all black bubbles according to a magazine but i don't really care. I look forward to every opportunity to get some work done to it. And your right..there is nothing wrong with a honda civic. I love my car, but i have to admit. It doesn't have the personality and doesnt' quite put a smile on my face the way that my xj does.

bluedragon436
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!!

4.3LXJ
06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. The Jeep bug has struck again.

1ATony
06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
welcome to the site