PDA

View Full Version : Lifted Shackles

jccatt
06-06-2011, 04:57 AM
I am looking at some lifted shackles. Most are around the 1" mark from $50 to $100.

:hmmmm2:
Question, is an MJ Comanche standard shackle 1" higher than an XJ? A stock MJ shackle is $30.

Also is a boomerang better than a straight shackle?

Mudderoy
06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I am looking at some lifted shackles. Most are around the 1" mark from $50 to $100.

Question, is an MJ Comanche standard shackle 1" higher than an XJ? A stock MJ shackle is $30.

From a xjtalk facebook friend...

Ford f150 drop shackles. 39.99 at autozone same exact shackle.

4.3LXJ
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM

The MJ shackle will get you one inch. The boomerang shackles are good if you have high arch springs so when fully flexed the shackle will not hit the forwards parts of the shackle mount.

jccatt
06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Cool. So I can use stock F150 & MJ shackles for 1" lift. The reason being we are not aloud lifted shackles, so stock ones won't look after market. We don't have MJ's here but there is a F Ford wreckers close by. What year F150?

Mudderoy
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Cool. So I can use stock F150 & MJ shackles for 1" lift. The reason being we are not aloud lifted shackles, so stock ones won't look after market. We don't have MJ's here but there is a F Ford wreckers close by. What year F150?

That's all the information I had from Facebook friend. :pray:

XJ4IV
06-06-2011, 11:05 PM
... you can grab a few of the MJ leaves and add them to your XJ leaves and get some lift that way... then you dont have to pray about that stupid shackle bolt inside the frame rail breaking... trust me 93.2% of the time they do THEN your screwed unless you got a welder

jccatt
06-06-2011, 11:34 PM
... you can grab a few of the MJ leaves and add them to your XJ leaves and get some lift that way... then you dont have to pray about that stupid shackle bolt inside the frame rail breaking... trust me 93.2% of the time they do THEN your screwed unless you got a welder

No MJ's in Australia.

4.3LXJ
06-06-2011, 11:39 PM
No MJ's in Australia.

You can make what we call a bastard pack. The trick is to use a full length leaf in your example that has more than 4" of free arch. The XJ spring has only four, while there are many other rear springs that have near 8", and Isuzus have 10" Almost any will work if they are 2 1/2" wide. All you need then is a new center pin. Your existing U bolts will take one additional leaf without needing new ones. Another plus to doing this is not having any drive shaft vibes afterwards. A 1" lift changes the pinion angle by 2°

jccatt
06-07-2011, 01:56 AM
I have added another xj top leaf to my pack already. Not sure what we have here for bigger leaf. I know the falcon utes do but are too stiff a ride.

cantab27
06-07-2011, 03:17 AM
I have added another xj top leaf to my pack already. Not sure what we have here for bigger leaf. I know the falcon utes do but are too stiff a ride.

they use the falcon leaf on the surfs here,,,don't know why ,,stitching ford to yota just devalues vehicle even more...........:rolleye0012:

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearSpacer.htm

jccatt
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Might do some more research on this. Need to go see a spring dude.

XJ4IV
06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Jcatt... basically if you have wrecking yards look for THIS option on a vehicle... Locate ANY truck that has the rear leaf springs that go UNDER the axle, then build those into your XJ leaf pack or replace all EXCEPT your XJ main leaf and that will give you pretty good height for WAY cheap... a popular one out here in the states is a Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck. The leafs UNDER the axle are way more arched to offer the ride height at a "normal" height for the pickup truck but when put on TOP of our XJ axle it gives us the added height of the whole axle tube which is usually around 4-5 inches.
I used Dodge dakota leafs for my setup and Im pretty happy with them and the ONLY thing I would have done differently is I would have found a 4X4 dakota which would have given an additional 3 inches but other than that Im pretty happy with my selection
here is a before picture
the one on the left is NO lift
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/pics/shorty.jpg
and here is mine right after installing JUST the dodge dakota leaf packs
and here is MY jeep right before installing my shackles
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/Ironman%204X4%20Fab%20equipment/IMG_5908.jpg
Im on 33's and the dakota leaves in back and RE 4.5 up front coils

jccatt
06-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks Scott thats a big help. I'll look for spring under. :D