PDA

View Full Version : Bus turn signals controls in my cherokee?

Switch_knuckles
06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I am a public transit bus driver, our buses have a turn signal set up like what is in pic 1. I was thinking of installing something like this in the jeep. I would use horn buttons like in pic 2. I would not have a high beam, or a intercom switch. Just the turn signals. Your thoughts?
Pic 1
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g344/bicentennial_midgett/012.jpg

Pic 2
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g344/bicentennial_midgett/hornbutton.jpg

KH96XJ
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
So your looking to install foot activated turn signals? If your using a horn button wouldn't you have to keep your foot on the entire time you want the blinker on?

Switch_knuckles
06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah I will, but I do it all day long so I am kind of used to it. The buttons in the bus are momentary switches as well.

Mudderoy
06-03-2011, 03:10 AM
I am a public transit bus driver, our buses have a turn signal set up like what is in pic 1. I was thinking of installing something like this in the jeep. I would use horn buttons like in pic 2. I would not have a high beam, or a intercom switch. Just the turn signals. Your thoughts?
Pic 1
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g344/bicentennial_midgett/012.jpg

Pic 2
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g344/bicentennial_midgett/hornbutton.jpg

Wow you have to meet some interesting people every day!

jccatt
06-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Can't say we have that here in buses, why don't you have the normal stork blinkers?

Switch_knuckles
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Mudderoy- The stories I could tell about the people I meet.
1. Lady shooting Heroin on the bus
2. Crackhead who would flash her stuff to get on the bus
3. Guy rolling blunts on the bus (he had a gallon size freezer bag full of weed)
4. Homeless guy and girl that got into a fight over a seat
5. The guy that tried to hit a driver and the passengers beat his ass
Just a few of the things I could tell you about

Jccatt we dont have the stick style cause the wheel is like 20 inches. The driver's area is cramped anyway so to have the stick we would actually have to reach under the wheel or through it. Believe me the last thing you want to do is get your hand or finger caught in the wheel when it is turning. It hurts!!! It is better to have foot activated switches that way your hands are always on the wheel, so you have better control. Moving a 50 ft bus around town is not an easy task.

jccatt
06-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Thats a big wheel mate, know wonder you have foot buttons.

Mudderoy
06-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Hmmm the pictures disappeared.

I don't know that I'd want my feet doing that much work. I guess if you are used to it though.

I had a buddy tell me that he never signals, it gives away his strategy! :bang:

LizardRunner
06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I actually like the idea, but I wonder if horn buttons would hold up like the metal ones in your bus do. Could you perhaps buy some of those from your shop? seems they wouldn't be that expensive but I have no idea where else you might find the metal ones.

xj4life2
06-08-2011, 07:25 PM
"I had a buddy tell me that he never signals, it gives away his strategy!"
My signals don't work so I'm gonna have to use that one !!!! I like it !!!!
Gotta give ya credit man thats one job I could not do, I wont even ride the busses here due to the freaks that ride them, but to spend all day.... man you got my respect !!!

Mudderoy
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
"I had a buddy tell me that he never signals, it gives away his strategy!"
My signals don't work so I'm gonna have to use that one !!!! I like it !!!!
Gotta give ya credit man thats one job I could not do, I wont even ride the busses here due to the freaks that ride them, but to spend all day.... man you got my respect !!!

Yeah it was pretty funny. I was talking to him on the local 2 meter repeater at the time. He's a character. He works as an engineer but his real job is acrobatic flying. Never met him, just spoke with him on the radio.