PDA

View Full Version : Offroad LED lights - illuminating the ground

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Well I've been saving my pennies to buy a new set of tires, but SCREW IT!

I just ordered two sets of these...

http://www.bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic26.jpg
:link: (http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=26)

I already have a set of a prior version of these LEDs but in RED and not as bright. I ordered these from BLUE WATER LED (http://www.bluewaterled.com), a xjtalk.com vendor! :thumbsup:

I've been curious for awhile about how much light these puppies would put out, and would this be an inexpensive alternative to very expensive LED off road lights.

Yes these are very simple, and don't even have a cover, but remember these are LEDs not glass bulbs. My experience with the earlier version is very good. I have had ZERO problems with them and they are literally glued to the front of my Jeep on the uni-body. (I need to get some pictures)

They've been on 3 off road trips so far!

So the plan here is to take these 4 (4 1 watt LED) squares and glue them to the inside wheel well on the front driver's side. They are white and with 16 watts I am hopeful that these lights will be bright enough to provide enough ground light.

The nice thing is if it isn't I can just add more squares until there is enough. I suspect that these 4 will be more than enough though. I'll work hard to get the pictures that really give a good idea of the level of brightness to the eye.

Anyway I'm pretty excited about this. I can see this being very useful in a whole host of off and on road applications. Pretty much anytime you need to see what you're driving over in the dark.

Now that I think more about it I might want to attach these to a metal plate then make an attachment to the wheel well that allows me to adjust the angle of the light. The light straight down in front of the wheel might make sense but leaning out of the drivers side window it may not be very visible.

I guess in a rock crawling application this would be fine for the spotter.

What are your thoughts? Especially those of you that do the rock crawling thing.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
What is the measurements on those Tony?

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
What is the measurements on those Tony?

I'll let you know, I suspect 1.5"

XJ4IV
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
LED's give more of a GLOW effect rather than a beam so a GENERAL aiming should be fine... You saw mine and how bright those were and those were facing the inner fender... I think straight down will be MORE than fine... you just need them higher to project more light, thats all... also GREAT FIND!
How much are they with XJT discount

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
LED's give more of a GLOW effect rather than a beam so a GENERAL aiming should be fine... You saw mine and how bright those were and those were facing the inner fender... I think straight down will be MORE than fine... you just need them higher to project more light, thats all... also GREAT FIND!
How much are they with XJT discount

We don't ask for $$$ and a xjtalk discount from our vendors. If they want to offer a discount out of the goodness of their heart...

prerunner1982
05-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Cant wait to see the pictures.......

Mudderoy
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Not dead, just working on other things.

I'm thinking of putting the LED array on a metal plate that I can adjust the angle on to "direct" the light to the ground.

I have hooked them up to a 12 volt power supply I have in my home office and they are VERY bright.

prerunner1982
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
tease.....