PDA

View Full Version : Welcome fletch!!!

msmoorenburg
05-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi fletch, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

fletch
05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Just got a 95 cherokee country and am new to four wheeling.
It is stock at this point so looking for upgrades. looking at lifts at this point I guess. lol there are so many its gonna be hard to figure out whats best. Found your site by crusing internet for info.

bigjim350
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Well welcome to the site. Have any questions about anything, just ask.

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Just got a 95 cherokee country and am new to four wheeling.
It is stock at this point so looking for upgrades. looking at lifts at this point I guess. lol there are so many its gonna be hard to figure out whats best. Found your site by crusing internet for info.

"Fletch" the 1985 film with Chevy Chase, was very funny.

:welcome: to xjtalk and :thanx: for joining.

LizardRunner
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Welcome Fletch, great group of folks here, willing to help just ask the questions answers are quick in coming.

fletch
05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
With the last name of Fletcher you know I just had to run with it!! lol I am pretty excited and cant wait to really get into this. I was looking at the rough country lifts however heard they were not the best quality. what do you guys think? Any sugestions. i think 4.5 is as high as i want to go.

bigjim350
05-27-2011, 10:38 AM
With the last name of Fletcher you know I just had to run with it!! lol I am pretty excited and cant wait to really get into this. I was looking at the rough country lifts however heard they were not the best quality. what do you guys think? Any sugestions. i think 4.5 is as high as i want to go.

Rough Country is a great choice for a lift. They have the best quality for the money. The 4.5" full leaf kit with x-flex arms is a great kit, and will come with everything you need, including sway bar disconnects. There are a couple out there that beat there quality, but are much more expensive. And in my opinion nobody beats their cutomer service or warrany.

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 10:40 AM

I don't have any experience with any other lift. Some people complain about a rough ride, not necessarily Rough Country, however that seems to be part of their mantra :D

I have a RC 4.5" lift on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I bought it from a now xjtalk vendor 4wheelingplus.com "Ron" If I was going to do another lift on another Jeep, I would buy Rough Country. I bent a trackbar about 6 months ago. They replaced it free, and they shipped it to me the same week I reported it.

I'm no hard core wheeler. It's my daily driver. Is it rough, yeah I guess but it's a ****ing 4 wheel drive! :bang: :rotfl2:

Yeah I can't say enough good things about Rough Country.

Most everyone says "I don't want to go higher than X" then about 6 months to a year later they want to go higher. Actually 4.5" isn't bad because it's pretty easy to move to 6.5" later, which I will be doing eventually.

fletch
05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys! I will be using it as my daily driver also. Maybe I should get the 6.5 now instead of waiting until later. lol Is there that big of a difference?

Mudderoy
05-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys! I will be using it as my daily driver also. Maybe I should get the 6.5 now instead of waiting until later. lol Is there that big of a difference?

Well it's really about tire clearance. For example the 4.5" lift is fine (with very minor trimming) for 32" tires, but if you want to go offroad it's going to rub.

I didn't go with 6.5" to start because of price and because I would have to install a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) on my transfer case. So I have to do a SYE then it will be pretty easy to go to 6.5"

I'll just move the shackle connection down one hole on the rear and I'll replace the coils on the front from the RC 4.5" to the RC 6.5"

Some say that you need to keep it low so the center of gravity stays low and your wheels stay on the ground, mostly.

Really what you have to ask is what size tire do I want, then go from there.

I knew I was going to go with 33" before I started the lift. I knew that 32's would probably fit fine with a 4.5" lift. I planned on bushwackers then 33" tires. After going off road a few times I can see that bushwackers, 4.5" lift and 32" tires is a good combo. The rear is the only place it rubs, and it really requires quite a bit of articulation for it to rub.

I can just extend the bump stops on the rear to fix that, just haven't done it yet.

A 6.5" should take care of rubbing (along with the bushwackers) for the 33" tires.

I've gone offroad with a member that has 33" tires and a 6.5" lift (RC) and he hasn't flipped, yet! :thumbsup:

xj4life2
05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Rough Country is currently the best value for your dollar lift, Its true a few years back their quality was questionable , but they have taken major steps in the quality/customer service area to win back the trust and reputation they used to have. I am a RC dealer and have no issues selling their lift and standing behind them 100%. I agree with Muddy on the size of the lift I would start with a 4.5" and go from there most people never go any higher and you can do other mods to increase tire size. Unfortunitly the XJ is about as areodynamic as a brick so center of gravity is a big issue. I perfer the 33" tire on the XJ for many reasons. I think that most people would agree that the 33" tire is the optimun for the XJ . My recomendation for a starter lift would be 4.5" short arm kit, nicely priced ($829.95) and an all inclusive lift. Hope this helps if you have more questions let us know !!
Mark

fletch
05-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I Think I will stick with the 4.5 at this point.

modestmar00xj
05-30-2011, 01:21 AM
fletch! welcome to xjtalk!

4.3LXJ
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Fletcher

If you are going to get a rough country kit, you might want to wait a couple of months. They have been redesigning their bushings and flex joint inserts. While some have had good success others have not. They do stand behind their product though. But wait until they get the new stuff out. It might be worth the wait. Also bear in mind that with any flex joint, there is a certain amount of maintenance that goes with them. They will also require new inserts at some point. Technology is getting better on these and will continue to improve.

bluedragon436
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk Fletch!! I was going with a 4.5" kit as that is what I got a good deal on when I was building my kit... but in the end I ended up going with a little over 6.5" of lift, and was able to run 33's which was my eventual goal to reach... and I am certainly glad that I went ahead with that height... But I will say that since you are just wanting to lift it a bit, and get started into the mod bug, and wheeling fun... 4.5" and some slight trimming and 32's would be more than capable... mine is a DD as well, and as of right now I haven't had to do an SYE, but that is sort of a XJ by XJ thing as to whether you need to or not... so I am sure I may just be on borrowed time as to installing an SYE...

4.3LXJ
05-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Fletcher

I would add to this. I have been able to run 5" of lift without a slip yoke eliminator. But beyond that, the slip yoke will not take the bend. When you set up your drive shaft, I can help with that and save you the price of an SYE if you don't go over 4.5". Beyond that, you get into the additional cost of the SYE

fletch
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
you guys are awesome! thanks for all the info. As I plan on keeping this xj for a looong time lol I really want to make sure and get a really good quality lift so I dont have any problems and frustrations because I tried to save a few bucks. The problem is there are so many and every company says theres is the best. lol