PDA

View Full Version : Lift Question

mikecav19
05-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I am a DD and will be using my Jeep for some camping and outdoors stuff along with having a hitch mount bike rack as I am a cycler, but not any real off-roading. I am wanting to do a 3” lift on my XJ. The shocks and leafs look like factory parts in my ’94 XJ and so getting a full leaf pack is what I really want. I would like to replace them and thought that getting a lift at the same time would be a good idea. I am thinking of doing the RC lift. See:

http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=630X&cat=264

How does this lift compare to the OME lift?

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=429

I would like a smooth ride since I am a DD and will be toting the wife and kid along at times. The price difference is $250 and I would pay that if there was a significant enough reason to pay it…like if it was a way smoother ride or if they lasted way longer.

Also, with a ’94 XJ country does anybody know what my rear axle is or how to find out? Is it Dana 35, Dana 44, or Chrysler 8.25? Lastly, if I order the kit and bring it to my mechanic to install, are there any other parts required to complete? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

xj4life2
05-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I sell both brands of lifts for what you are suggesting the OME would probably be the best for your application as they do have different types of springs , generally light , med, heavy as for quality both are in my opinion good quality. As for the type of rear end is in it take a pic and post it , we can tell ya in a second what it is. more than likely its a 35 but we'll see. As for the haveing someone else install it, just be sure you get the complete kit if you have questions on that post up what you get and we can look and see if its all there or not. Hope this helps
Mark

bigjim350
05-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Well I don't know much about the OME lifts, but the Lifetime warranty and great customer service from Rough Country would be enough for me to live with a bit harsher ride.

RTPG
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
$310 difference if you buy from 4WheelingPlus.com

http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=630X&coupon=XJT10

OME is good stuff.

So is Rough Country.

I am biased towards Rough Country since they have some of the best customer service and warranties.

RTPG
05-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Lastly, if I order the kit and bring it to my mechanic to install, are there any other parts required to complete?
At 3" of lift you shouldn't worry about brake lines, t-case drops, SYE, CV driveshafts, etc.

mikecav19
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I sell both brands of lifts for what you are suggesting the OME would probably be the best for your application as they do have different types of springs , generally light , med, heavy as for quality both are in my opinion good quality. As for the type of rear end is in it take a pic and post it , we can tell ya in a second what it is. more than likely its a 35 but we'll see. As for the haveing someone else install it, just be sure you get the complete kit if you have questions on that post up what you get and we can look and see if its all there or not. Hope this helps
Mark

Do you know what quality would make the OME better since they have different types of springs? Do the different types of springs make for a better ride overall? Thanks!

mikecav19
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
$310 difference if you buy from 4WheelingPlus.com

http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=630X&coupon=XJT10

OME is good stuff.

So is Rough Country.

I am biased towards Rough Country since they have some of the best customer service and warranties.

Thanks for your input! An additional question. There are some dropdown boxes for steering stabilizer and also a Nitro Shock upgrade. What are your recommendations here? Would I need to worry about that at all? Thanks!

xj4life2
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Do you know what quality would make the OME better since they have different types of springs? Do the different types of springs make for a better ride overall? Thanks!

OME springs come in different "strengths" so you can taylor the spring rate to your type of use , therefor yes you would get a better ride as you would not need heavy if its a DD you could go to Med or light. They base it upon weight and type of useage. But I do agree with the other here on the Rough Country for dollar value , customer service , warrrenty you wont find many better and I deal with over 25 different ones so I've had some practice at it. lol The other draw back with OME is they dont have alot of different heights as RC does. I can do the 3" series two kit from Rough Country shipped to your door for the $609.95.