PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Jeep Cherokee - Drive shaft u-joint replacement

Mudderoy
05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
I think I have a noisy u-joint.

As I recall I had all the u-joints replaced a while back, but there was one on the front drive shaft they didn't replace, and I suspect it was the two that make up the double cardan.

I purchased some Spicer u-joints a while back and I believe I told the guy at 4wheel parts what I needed it for, so I'm hoping I already have the right u-joints.

What I have found by digging around online is that the u-joints are part number 8130750.

From what I can see changing out these u-joints is much like any other u-joint replacement. I'm just going to get a tool from the auto parts to press them in and out instead of using the hammer method.

I seem to be reading something about NOT using u-joints in the double cardan with grease fittings because of possible damage to the fitting. Anyone know anything about this?

4.3LXJ
05-20-2011, 10:40 AM
If you are talking about the grease fitting, yes. The casting will probably hit it and rip it out. There is a fitting that is almost flush that takes a "needle" grease gun, it is just a long narrow tube with at tapered end. These are standard on all double cardan joints. They just screw in. You can get the needle fitting for your grease gun that just inserts in the standard gun to grease them when done.

Mudderoy
05-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I was outside cleaning the IAC today, so I dug out the new u-joints I bought some time back...

Spicer 5-153X (2 of them)

Hmmm this says front or rear drive shaft.

:link: (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4359)

4.3LXJ
05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
That's right, they fit both ends

Mudderoy
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
That's right, they fit both ends

I guess I need to get a different grease fitting though, because these are the standard ones.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
That is easy, just a trip to a good auto parts store

saar
05-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I don't know how it works with a double cardan, but when I replaced my axle shaft u joint with a "press" I damaged the axle shaft and had to replace it. with a hummer is won't happen.
I pressed it too hard and bent the "ears" of the shaft (when the u joint fits in).
After that, I worked with a hummer...
Saar.

Mudderoy
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I don't know how it works with a double cardan, but when I replaced my axle shaft u joint with a "press" I damaged the axle shaft and had to replace it. with a hummer is won't happen.
I pressed it too hard and bent the "ears" of the shaft (when the u joint fits in).
After that, I worked with a hummer...
Saar.

Thanks, I just use the big "C" clamp.

rguignard
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
a big vice works great

xj4life2
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey Tony be sure to check the centering yoke on the Cardan, make sure the seal is good the pin on the yoke side isn't worn and the ball in the centering yoke moves freely. these can be a bit tricky but I have faith in ya!! OOOOHHHH Dont lose the spring !!!! in the center of the ball.

And when your done ,paint it red:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
a big vice works great

I was wondering about that. I didn't have a bench or a vice when I did the u-joints on the dana 30. I was a BFH, a 2x4 and a concrete floor. Day 2 I went and got the big a$$ "C" clamp.

Maybe I'll try the vice and have the "C" clamp as a backup.

xj4life2
05-23-2011, 03:00 PM
I was wondering about that. I didn't have a bench or a vice when I did the u-joints on the dana 30. I was a BFH, a 2x4 and a concrete floor. Day 2 I went and got the big a$$ "C" clamp.

Maybe I'll try the vice and have the "C" clamp as a backup.

X2 on the vice !!!

rguignard
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
theres one out at matts shop that works great