PDA

View Full Version : 2000 xj tailgate electrical

Manitoba XJ
05-17-2011, 09:48 PM
My rear wiper and rear 3rd brakelight stopped working. I popped the tailgate open and looked at the rubber wiring gasket/pass through. The gasket was torn and I could see the wiring inside. Some of the wires had nicks in the insulation, other wires were cut in half. What is the best way to repair these wires? Doesn't seem to be much slack in the wiring to make repairs easier. Do I splice or replace a whole length of wiring?

Mudderoy
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
My rear wiper and rear 3rd brakelight stopped working. I popped the tailgate open and looked at the rubber wiring gasket/pass through. The gasket was torn and I could see the wiring inside. Some of the wires had nicks in the insulation, other wires were cut in half. What is the best way to repair these wires? Doesn't seem to be much slack in the wiring to make repairs easier. Do I splice or replace a whole length of wiring?

I don't know how much room you have to work with but I might try soldering the wires together (after disconnecting the battery) and then using heat shrinkable tubing over the connections.

Maybe you can take a picture so we'll have a better idea what you are working with.

4.3LXJ
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I repaired mine, and had them break again. I am going to pull the harness and splice in new lengths of wire into them. There is just too much movement there

Manitoba XJ
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I think I will do the same and have the repair under the trim inside the vehicle. I'll just run new wires from there to the connectors in the tailgate. I'll just have to figure out how to put new wires into connecter plugs.

4.3LXJ
05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I think I will do the same and have the repair under the trim inside the vehicle. I'll just run new wires from there to the connectors in the tailgate. I'll just have to figure out how to put new wires into connecter plugs.

There are two ways to go. You can just connect to the original wire outside the plug, or you can get a tool for it and some new connections for inside the plug at an auto electrical shop. I have done both

LizardRunner
05-22-2011, 12:49 PM
There are two ways to go. You can just connect to the original wire outside the plug, or you can get a tool for it and some new connections for inside the plug at an auto electrical shop. I have done both

X2 not hard at all either way

Manitoba XJ
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advise!