PDA

View Full Version : Who wants better MPG???

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
ok I did this hoping to resolve another issue but I found I was not looking in the right direction...
Anyhow basically you can "rejuvenate" your transmission and get better MPG by about 25% which in these jeeps is GREAT.
all you need is
5 quarts of ATF...
3 cans of brakleen or any brake parts cleaner
and new tranny filter and gasket
and a few different sockets

First is to drain the tranny pan and drop it...
next step is to replace the tranny filter I paid 19 at autozone for the filter and gasket kit

next is probably the more beneficial aspect of the procedure.
Remove the shift solenoids
labled here
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/solenoids.PNG
but Remove them one by one not all at the same time as we dont want to get them mixed up when re installing...
the next step is to use one of the brake parts cleaner and spray the solenoid down really good THEN activate the solenoid by applying 12v to the plug and grounding the outer housing to the negative this will open the solenoid to allow you to clean out the inside as well...

CAUTION brake parts cleaner is highly flammable...
CAUTION applying 12v to the solenoid WILL cause a spark...
BE SMART... WAIT for the parts cleaner to evaporate prior to hooking or unhooking the 12v supply unless .... you know...
http://www.borev.net/boom.jpg
ok so now that youve done this on all three solenoids then just put everything back together
MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR WIRES CONNECTED BACK TO SOLENOIDS 100%
if not your tranny will skip a gear or cause other bad issues.

My testimony to this:
I performed this last weekend and on monday this week I drove from houston to McKinney texas
285 miles plus another 15 miles the next day and I was able to make it on one tank of fuel... and STILL had little under 1/8 of a tank
NO other modifications had been made as far as MPG would go... matter of fact I ALSO went to a larger tire size the day before as well which would bring it down a little bit.
my previous trips I would have only made it about 3/4 of that trip prior to needing to refuel
factors that YOUR jeep will not have on your outcome that MY jeep did...
My fuel tank is dented to where it is only a 16 gallon tank now.
ALSO I was loaded down with a good 800 lbs of tools and equipment for work
My jeep is on 33's with a 6 inch lift and no sway bars and fairly heavy front bumper... those are the variables in my experiment...
Im not sure HOW this worked cause IM pretty dumb about transmissions but whatever man it worked!

KH96XJ
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
That's good it worked for you. I thought mileage should have gotten better anyway with the larger tires at hwy speeds.

LizardRunner
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
well darn it, this won't work for me since I have the AX15 manual tranny.

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
best thing to do with yours... is ... uhh... sell it?

rguignard
05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
well darn it, this won't work for me since I have the AX15 manual tranny.

hey liz i have a friend that had a 5 speed w stock gearing with 33's getting over 20mpg on the highway and did 4's and 5's trails

LizardRunner
05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
sweet rene, I get around 20 mpg as long as I don't turn on the aircon. when I swap out the injectors I should get a little better mileage than now.

No scott, I prefer a manual shift, don't really know how to drive an automatic, lol have never had one. the wife's van is auto and I keep trying to clutch and shift if she makes me drive it.

Gldyrx
05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Could u please post a pic or give some more insight of where the sylinoide feed holes are located that I would need 2 pound down thanks awesome post

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Ive been trying to find one but basically when you remove the solenoid you will see the holes... very hard to miss... beware though as the parts cleaner WILL spit back and it DOES aim for your eye! and it hurts!

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
here is the best I could find but on the end where the O ring is you will see some holes, this is where you wanna focus the cleaner...
http://www.electricaladvantage.net/images/products/thumb/IMG_1767.JPG

Gldyrx
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
So the holes in the actual solenoid are the ones I need 2 make smaller between .17-.24 ?sorry 4 the confusion just wanna get it right the first time so I can reep the benifits. Thanx

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
NOOOOOOO My writeup has NO modifications to the solenoids... mine is JUST to clean them
the picture I used is from another thread that sows something else

Gldyrx
05-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Ok got it will repost with results thanx 4 clearin that up

XJ4IV
05-12-2011, 06:14 PM
sweet Thanks for taking this on and verifying my results... I hope it works out for you!!! so it will work out for anyone else as well...