PDA

View Full Version : Piecing together a 4.5" lift!

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm piecing together a 4.5" lift. My plan is to get my daughters an XJ for their first vehicle.

Here's what I have right now...

UpCountry leaf springs with AAL (needs 2" shackles to get to the 4.5")
Track bar drop
RC 4.5" lower control arms
Brake line relocation brackets
Front shocks (hydro)

Here's what I need (other than the XJ)
4.5" coils
Shackles
1" transfer case drop

After I install my SYE, I'll probably go to 6.5" coils, which will give me the 4.5" coils. I am planning on replacing the RC 2 position shackles with some 2" boomerangs shackles from Ironman4x4fab.com. I also need to get some 9178 Nitro shocks for the rear)

What am I missing lift wise?

xj4life2
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Shocks

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Shocks

Thanks! Added that to the original post.

rguignard
05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks! Added that to the original post.

you might have the shocks when you go up to 6.5 to ?

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
you might have the shocks when you go up to 6.5 to ?

The shocks that came with the kit are for 4" to 6" lifts. So if I replace the rear shocks then I'd have a full set. :D

4.3LXJ
05-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Tony, I don't think the stock upper control arms will handle the 4.5" springs. At least mine wouldn't. It is a range of motion thing

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Shims and Tcase drop also. Most lower control arms take no top arms in concideraton on 3" lifts but on a 4.5 I think 4.3's right about the arc of movement. I would run the same manufactures top arms so you don't end up with death wobble There is some adjustment on lower arms from the factory. You want 0 camber when it gets aligned. Your daughters must be either pissed or very happy. My daughter would be the first.

xj4life2
05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Tony, I don't think the stock upper control arms will handle the 4.5" springs. At least mine wouldn't. It is a range of motion thing

You are correct grasshopper , they will not, they may fit but they will not be long enough for proper angle ,usually they wont even fit , as for camber we always shoot for +1/2 but o is ok if thats the best you can do. caster should be 3.5.

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 07:23 PM

The 4.5" RC kit doesn't come with upper control arms, just lower. Stock is what I've been running until recently.

XJ4IV
05-11-2011, 07:41 PM

I ran OEM uppers for a year with 4.5 coils... no reall issues at all to speak of...
I ran 33'' TSL's too so I had PLENTY to complain about for handling but I didnt see any issues really

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM

You are correct grasshopper , they will not, they may fit but they will not be long enough for proper angle ,usually they wont even fit , as for camber we always shoot for +1/2 but o is ok if thats the best you can do. caster should be 3.5.

This is great information though. Now I need to check my camber since I have the ability to adjust top and bottom control arms!

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 10:58 PM
If you stay at 3" runnin thirty's it will save you alotta headaches and money, plus it will drive alot nicer. That was my dad's setup and every time I drove it made me rethink the whole 6" on 33"s thing I had going on which is why I went
4.5" runnin 31"s on my 99. My dad's was still funner to drive. Just something to concider.

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
If you stay at 3" runnin thirty's it will save you alotta headaches and money, plus it will drive alot nicer. That was my dad's setup and every time I drove it made me rethink the whole 6" on 33"s thing I had going on which is why I went
4.5" runnin 31"s on my 99. My dad's was still funner to drive. Just something to concider.

Thanks, yeah no I'm from the camp that if you're going to lift it lift it. If you want something that drives nice drive a stock vehicle.

hookedonxjs
05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm not talking about you driving it, it's just if it were my daughter I would feel more at ease.Safer lane changes, no bumpsteer, brakes stop faster, less likley to roll if she swerves. And it did do everything but crawl boulders after I put in the the limited slip in for pops. Just my POV.

Mudderoy
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm not talking about you driving it, it's just if it were my daughter I would feel more at ease.Safer lane changes, no bumpsteer, brakes stop faster, less likley to roll if she swerves. And it did do everything but crawl boulders after I put in the the limited slip in for pops. Just my POV.

Thanks and strange as it may seem I'm thinking about my daughters to. :bang:

I've been driving mine with a 4.5" lift for 3 years now. If I didn't feel like I could stop, turn, or might flip at anytime I wouldn't be putting my lovely wonderful daughters at risk.

Just curious, how many children do you have?

4x4Dalton
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Tony I know this dont have anything to do with the lift but are you going to install any type of recovery packages on the XJ's?

BigJeepBigJeep
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I have 4.5 inches of lift with stock control arms, no shims, and no trac bar drop... my jeep drives perfectly straight and has zero death wobble and plenty of articulation... even with the sway bars off (I daily it this way), quick lane changes are not scary and I put my 4 month old in the backseat every day.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

BigJeepBigJeep
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Stock upper control arms I should say

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
05-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Tony I know this dont have anything to do with the lift but are you going to install any type of recovery packages on the XJ's?

It (if it happens) would be an on road vehicle. Depending on funds it might get a tailbone from Detours.