PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size Decision Time

Mudderoy
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I am leaning towards the 35x12.5x15 BFG MT KM2 tires as replacement for my 32x11.5x15 MT KM tires.

I would like to hear from anyone that has run 35" tires for awhile.

Lift size?
Braking issues?
Steering failures?
Tire rub/fender damage?

I have 4.5" lift, with the Bushwacker cutouts. I don't think I'll have a problem ON ROAD with the 35" tires and with additional bump stop modifications in the rear I think I'd be ok off road.

Downside is I have a good 32" for a spare tire. With 33" tires, the 32" would be an acceptable spare. I don't think it would be for 35" tires.

xj4life2
05-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I am leaning towards the 35x12.5x15 BFG MT KM2 tires as replacement for my 32x11.5x15 MT KM tires.

I would like to hear from anyone that has run 35" tires for awhile.

Lift size?
Braking issues?
Steering failures?
Tire rub/fender damage?

I have 4.5" lift, with the Bushwacker cutouts. I don't think I'll have a problem ON ROAD with the 35" tires and with additional bump stop modifications in the rear I think I'd be ok off road.

Downside is I have a good 32" for a spare tire. With 33" tires, the 32" would be an acceptable spare. I don't think it would be for 35" tires.

Ok Tony here's my two cents. I have about 5" of on mine and have severly cut the front fenders and trimmed the rears to run 35"s. As for breaking and steering issues , yes the 35's are big and heavy and without a heavy duty tie rod system and a dual diaphram booster , 3 piston calipers and rear disc you will have some (not horrable) brake reduction and the steering will be less than responsive and the possability of breaking the tie rod ends or tearing the box of the sub frame will be increased greatly. You also stand the chance of breaking axles , u joints ect ect. There are mods than can be done to effectively (problem free) run the 35" tires but they are timely and expensive. The one thing you never mentioned was gear ratio. With the 35" tire you will need to have at least 4.56 gears. I personally would say that 4.88's would be the choice. Yes I have run 35's but wont do it again untill I have upgraded my steering , breaking and axles. It's only my opnion but 33's always have and always will be the optimal tire for the XJ reguardless of lift. I figure the more space I have above and around my tires is more room to articulate !!
Ok I'm done gotta rest my finger lol
The 32 would be an ok spare except you wont be able to use 4wd with it on the rig. Yes its only an inch but its not acceptible for 4wd sys.

4.3LXJ
05-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Tony

33s are a nice size for an XJ. But 35s are a bit much unless you upgrade components. Those unit bearings just don't like that much tire. And yes, you will loose about 10 - 15% braking power.

hookedonxjs
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
My bro ran 35s on his xj and he hated them because of all of the above comments. I drove it on the hiway it was scary. The only way I would even think about it if I built a trail rig and trailered it out and if I had that kind of money I would build a ground up tube frame crawler. To quote my least favorite qoute of 2010 "it is what it is". You are where the twain meets.

jccatt
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Dont do it Mud's. 33 is the biggest i would go on an XJ. The clearance is the same as a patrol on 35. Plus the issues above. If you go to a 16 rim the tyre sizes are not as wide as a 15. Don't know any xj on 35 that is not a pos.

xjjeepthing
05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Go to 33 on 8" wheels and you will love it. Glad I did mine. 35 will take way to many upgrades. Most of which are mentioned

Mudderoy
05-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah just came over there to mention that I calmed down again, and 33's will be the way to go. Thanks for all the info, it helped.

We need to start up a support group like AA but for people that want to put too big a tire on their XJ.

I can always go to 35's later, which will give me time for upgrades.

cantab27
05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
yep but 35s would look good at the mall.........