PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Cherokee Eagle won't Start.

Mudderoy
05-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I recently sent out an e-mail to several of our members that haven't visted the site in a while. I asked "Does xjtalk.com suck?!?!?!"

Lots of responses, most pleasant.

Today I received another response but this was from an absent member that his having a problem. I e-mailed him back letting him know I'd ask his question here.

Dear Sir,

as I already told you, I am driving Cherokee Eagle from 1992.

All this week an awful problem persists. Namely, I forget to close its window over the night and tomorrow all the jeep was completelly blocked; I cannot even start it.
This situation lasts for the whole week.
No expert around can fix the problem and, since the jeep is immovable, I cannot place it somewhere else.

Maybe you know some simpje trick to deblokade it or to restart the alarm?

Yours sincerely,
Sima

bigjim350
05-06-2011, 11:11 AM
He is from another country so his english is a bit rough. The only way to re-set the factory alarm with out the keypad is to put the key in the drivers door lock and turn to the right, if thats the problem

xj4life2
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
he could try to diconnect the battery and reconnect it or find the fuse for the alarm and pull it, chances are its an after market alarm the brand would be helpfull as I could search for the disarm/reset instuctions. Does it crank and not fire ? Sounds like it could be a CPS but no info on engine size ect ect. Leaving a window open should not have anything to do with it unless the vehicle was tampered with during this time. More than likely a coincidence. Let me know if I can help further

hookedonxjs
05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh that explains, Tony has a dry sense of humor and I thought that it was red herring post. I'm sorry my bad.

sima
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Dears,

thanks for cheerfull comments and sorry for my bad english.

But, the problem is serious.

I manage today to transport the car to a neighboor elecrtician but he didn't solve the problem and he left it for tomorrow.

I will appreciate your serious advices.

Sincerely,

Sima

Mud junkie
05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I:banghead:f this is a fuel injected vehicle. try changing the crank sensor!

hookedonxjs
05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I:banghead:f this is a fuel injected vehicle. try changing the crank sensor!

It worked on my 89. It was the last ignition part that I changed though. Ran great for another 120K then I sold it.

steph74
05-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't worry about the english Sima ;)

However if someone could explain more what seem to be the problem, that would be great.

I am not saying that to mock (because well I have some difficulties with that language too sometimes) but it might help others to understand what is the problem ;)

This is what I understood.
The window was left open and now the jeep doesn't start ?

Metlic53
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Don't worry about the english Sima ;)

However if someone could explain more what seem to be the problem, that would be great.

I am not saying that to mock (because well I have some difficulties with that language too sometimes) but it might help others to understand what is the problem ;)

This is what I understood.
The window was left open and now the jeep doesn't start ?

X2

ice_cold
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
First question Sima. Does the engine turn over or does it not even do that?
Does the Jeep have a alarm installed? Is it a automatic or manual transmission.
Does it have 4.0 straight 6 engine?

Am not sure what a Cherokee Eagle is, thinking its a model designation for where it is that you live.

cantab27
05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
googled cherokee eagle,, came up with this
http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/johns-78-J10-GoldenEagle/P8175963.JPG

http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/GoldenEagle/

DETOURS
05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I had this problem years ago, after a hard night of strip bars & heavy drinking, my key unknowingly fit someone elses Jeep that looked like mine.......the next afternoon when I went to return it, non of my XJ Jeep keys fit......I thumbed a ride to get 'my' Cherokee back which remained at the strip bar's parking lot.....but could'nt return the one I borrowed......:o

I had it towed to a diffrent location by a friend, problem solved.......

Perhaps this is what happened to you?

ice_cold
05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
googled cherokee eagle,, came up with this
http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/johns-78-J10-GoldenEagle/P8175963.JPG

http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/GoldenEagle/

Those are FSJ's, and I don't recall them ever being called a "Cherokee".:D
"Eagle" was also used on CJ's

cantab27
05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
QUOTE=ice_cold;77514]Those are FSJ's, and I don't recall them ever being called a "Cherokee".:D
"Eagle" was also used on CJ's[/QUOTE]

just putting up what google threw at me there fella....:indifferent0028:

sima
05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Dears,

this is the data from my drivers licence:

1. Label: JEEP EAGLE (CHEROKEE)

2. type: XJ

3. year: 1992

4. power: 136

5. volume: 3964

It uses benzin and plin.

Thanks in advance!

Sima

steph74
05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Sima, if it is not too personal, would you care telling us where you are from ?

cantab27
05-06-2011, 09:37 PM
check ya battery,,ya gettin power

sima
05-06-2011, 09:52 PM
First question Sima. Does the engine turn over or does it not even do that?
Does the Jeep have a alarm installed? Is it a automatic or manual transmission.
Does it have 4.0 straight 6 engine?

Am not sure what a Cherokee Eagle is, thinking its a model designation for where it is that you live.

Dear,

yes, the engine is turning but cannot start. the original alarm is installed, its automatic and have 4.0 engine.

I think that the alarm is blocked the car (brakes are hard an immovable, for example) and does not let the current to the carburator. But nobody knows how to reset the alarm and I haven't any technical documentation about.

Sima

sima
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
check ya battery,,ya gettin power

Yes, I even changed the battery, the power is there but the engine couldn't start.
I am mostly worrying that the jeep was all day long at the mechanic and he didn't fix the problem.

Sima

steph74
05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't worry man, it is surely something so simple that even the mechanic cannot thing about it ;)

sima
05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Don't worry man, it is surely something so simple that even the mechanic cannot thing about it ;)

Yes, I agree.

But the whole week is passed and this troubled me.

Do you have some smart advice for my mechanic?

Yours,

Sima

alwaysxj
05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
try putting it in neutral and cracking it over, could possibly be a bad nss?

4x4Dalton
05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Just wonderin,what was the weather like the night the window was left down? Sounds like something may have shorted out under dash.

4.3LXJ
05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Sima

Please ask your mechanic if your engine is getting fuel delivered to it. Also ask if the spark plugs are firing. Report back and we will go from there.

sima
05-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Dear Sirs,

I meet my mechanic this morning and he want to change "PC for fuel injection" (if I translated correctly his words). Now he is looking to find this part somewhere.
I personaly doubt this solution but let's wait and see.
Yours,
Sima

Joliet Johnny
05-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I dont know if this will help but we had a problem similar this on my dads Dodge Caravan.
1st I disconnected to negative battery terminal
then I flipped the valet switch
then reconnected battery
it started right up
then I realized that alarm was pretty useless

Mudderoy
05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Dear,

yes, the engine is turning but cannot start. the original alarm is installed, its automatic and have 4.0 engine.

I think that the alarm is blocked the car (brakes are hard an immovable, for example) and does not let the current to the carburator. But nobody knows how to reset the alarm and I haven't any technical documentation about.

Sima

The brakes issues concerns me. Brakes are a mechanical not electrical item. No car alarm would set the brakes without a electro/mechanical device added.

ice_cold
05-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Unless they are power brakes and they "felt" like they were not functioning...maybe?

So the mechanic is going to change the PCM?

Mud junkie
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
You need to take pull the plug wire from the coil and verify that you have spark from the coil. I have seen too many mechanical and electrical issues blamed on alarms and remote starts. start with your basics fuel and spark. the fact that your window was down in a rain storm very well may just be coincidental! if your mechanic is blaming your ecm he is most likely unsure of the problem and blaming the computer.

sima
05-09-2011, 01:09 AM
You need to take pull the plug wire from the coil and verify that you have spark from the coil. I have seen too many mechanical and electrical issues blamed on alarms and remote starts. start with your basics fuel and spark. the fact that your window was down in a rain storm very well may just be coincidental! if your mechanic is blaming your ecm he is most likely unsure of the problem and blaming the computer.

No, no current there. No current-no sparks.

Another awfull event: yesterday (Sunday) I went to see the car. It was on the street, unlocked!!? Inside- whole mess of vires everywhere! I had no heart to look if something is missing.
I called my mechanic hundred times but he didn't dare to answer.
Then I went to the police but they said to me: don't worry man, mechanics rarely locked the cars. Unbelievable!

Sima

4.3LXJ
05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Yes, it is

Mud junkie
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Your pcm gets signal pulses from your crank shaft sensor then fires your coil. If your cps is bad no signal no spark, I have seen the wires for the cps bunt to the exhaust manifold causing a short to it and have also seen the wires chewed through by critters. just something to check for. Either way if no signal from the sensor it needs replaced first

sima
05-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Your pcm gets signal pulses from your crank shaft sensor then fires your coil. If your cps is bad no signal no spark, I have seen the wires for the cps bunt to the exhaust manifold causing a short to it and have also seen the wires chewed through by critters. just something to check for. Either way if no signal from the sensor it needs replaced first

Dear Sir,

thanks a lot! I will tell this to my mechanic (if he want to listen).

Btw, what is CPS?

Sima

cantab27
05-10-2011, 01:24 AM
hope this helps
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/standard-1.jpg

sima
05-13-2011, 12:38 AM
hope this helps
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/standard-1.jpg

I showed him this map and he decided that CPS (he called it RPM sensor) has to be replaced. Now we are looking to find this part somewhere.

Is there some test to find out for sure that CPS is kaputt?
I wonder that maybe we are on the wrong way again.

Sima

4.3LXJ
05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Sima

If your mechanic has made sure that you have sufficient fuel pressure by hooking up a gauge to it when the key is turned on, then there are two things that can affect the ignition spark. The most common thing to malfunction is the CPS, crank shaft position sensor. This tells the computer where top dead center is on the crank shaft. The injectors then fire sequentially, timed by the rpms of the engine. It also works in conjunction with the camshaft position sensor, located in the distributor. It too can fail, but not nearly as often. If he replaces the CPS, then even if it is not the problem, it is a good fail safe thing to do. They do fail often and having a new one is a good thing. Sometimes even testing the CPS and having it pass, it can still not work correctly. It is really nothing more than a magnetic switch.

sima
05-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Sima

If your mechanic has made sure that you have sufficient fuel pressure by hooking up a gauge to it when the key is turned on, then there are two things that can affect the ignition spark. The most common thing to malfunction is the CPS, crank shaft position sensor. This tells the computer where top dead center is on the crank shaft. The injectors then fire sequentially, timed by the rpms of the engine. It also works in conjunction with the camshaft position sensor, located in the distributor. It too can fail, but not nearly as often. If he replaces the CPS, then even if it is not the problem, it is a good fail safe thing to do. They do fail often and having a new one is a good thing. Sometimes even testing the CPS and having it pass, it can still not work correctly. It is really nothing more than a magnetic switch.

Thanks a lot! This is a valuable information for me since this part costs about 100 Euros around here.
I will appreciate much if you have a picture of CPS (for Cherokee) to put it here. I need it because, judging by the serial number, my part is not original.
Hence I do not know exactly what to buy to suit the machine.
Thanks in advance!
Sima

4.3LXJ
05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Sima, here is some information of testing sensors.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

sima
05-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Dear Sirs,

it seems that my mechanic finally fixed the problem.

He replaced CPS and deblockaded the alarm (he didn't say how).

I wish to thank everyone on this forum that tried to help.

Sincerely yours,

Sima

cantab27
05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
good news sima.....dont be a stranger now and keep posting and asking questions you may have........
happy jeepin

Mudderoy
05-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Dear Sirs,

it seems that my mechanic finally fixed the problem.

He replaced CPS and deblockaded the alarm (he didn't say how).

I wish to thank everyone on this forum that tried to help.

Sincerely yours,

Sima

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know it's running again. Don't forget us when the XJ is running well! :thumbsup:

sima
05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Dear Sirs,

I am glad to know you as a kind and emphatic people.

This sort is rarely to find around nowadays.

Yours,

Sima

4.3LXJ
05-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Sima, that is the highest compliment you could give. What country are you from? Tell us a little about yourself

sima
05-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Dears,

I don't like to talk about countries because they are connected with politicians and other scum and then someone gets wrong impressions on individuals living therein.

I rather remember my opinion when I was young that this world should be my home.

Otherwise, I am doing the math science- it keeps my mind clear as much as possible.

Sima

4.3LXJ
05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Sorry about the politics. We don't judge that kind of stuff here. We have many members, one from Mongolia. I am not even sure of the politics there anymore. What matters to us here on this forum is that we all have Jeeps. But I am happy that yours is running again. Another thing to watch that no one ever does is the Oxygen Sensor. It will affect your milage if it hasn't been changed for a long time, like 100,000 miles.