PDA

View Full Version : Up-shift indicator

steph74
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a manual transmission, Renix engine on my 89 XJ

This up arrow on the left of the dashboard panel is supposed to be the upshift indicator.

It comes on and off depending on a variety of factors like speed, gear....

Now how is it controlled ?
Mine seem to come up randomly and I have tried to shift up when it comes on but it is ridiculous so I definitely ignore it.

But I am concern that there should be something to adjust that could make things work even better....

Anybody knows a bit more about that indicator ?

bigjim350
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
It is engine vacuum controled

xj4life2
05-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Here ya go :
This light is controlled by the ECU and is lit to indicate that the driver should shift to the next highest gear for best fuel economy. The lamp is located on the left side of the instrument panel just below the safety belt and "BRAKE" lamps. The ECU will turn this light off if the up-shift hasn't occurred within 3 to 5 seconds of its initial illumination. The light will come back on if acceleration has stopped and the engine rpm has dropped below the range of shift light operation.

This light is illuminated upon engine start-up and should go off after the engine has started. Engine speed and load are what determines when the ECU turns the light on.

NOTE: Once the vehicle has been shifted to its highest gear the light will not illuminate, due to the operation of a switch located on the transmission

Testing and inspection:
Turn ignition switch to run position.
Ground pin 7 of connector B.
If indicator illuminates, replace bulb.
Turn ignition switch to Off position.
Check for continuity between connector B pin 2 and pin 54 of engine controller.
If no continuity exists, repair open in circuit.

oderdene
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Testing and inspection:
Turn ignition switch to run position.
Ground pin 7 of connector B.
If indicator illuminates, replace bulb.

if illuminates bulb is ok, why replace normal bulb?

Turn ignition switch to Off position.
Check for continuity between connector B pin 2 and pin 54 of engine controller.
If no continuity exists, repair open in circuit.

xj4life2
05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Thats a typo and should read if bulb does not illuminate replace bulb. Sorry AllData has several typos

steph74
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys
the light is working, it is doing what it is supposed to do, lighting up then switching off if I change gear... or not either way.

I just cannot understand why it would illuminate when I am in 5th gear already, or why it would illuminate randomly when in 2nd gear accelerating hard or things like that...

So I will go ahead and test the connector as suggested just in case there are some issues there, and I will find the vacuum diagram to see if there is an issue there too...

I am not too attached to follow exactly the indicator, i barely see it from its location anyway... but I like things working as close as possible to normal ;) ( we are jeep owner we have to settle with the as close as possible concept ;))

prerunner1982
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Mine usually lights up at around 2k RPM.. for every shift.

93 4.0 5 Speed (AX-15)

LizardRunner
05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
X2 mine seems to light up at 2k rpm, mostly I just ignore it since it doesn't seem to know about my lead foot and need for acceleration to the "speed limit".