PDA

View Full Version : I have a rough idle, what can I do to fix it?

islandbum
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I have a 92 xj auto trans 4.0 when I am at a stop with my foot on the brake i feel a little rough idle. The jeep is my dd and I am in it a lot in stop and go traffic.
Not a big deal just enough that I feel it. Just like it misses a half beat. Gone with acceleration
What could it be:confused:

Mudderoy
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a 92 xj auto trans 4.0 when I am at a stop with my foot on the brake i feel a little rough idle. The jeep is my dd and I am in it a lot in stop and go traffic.
Not a big deal just enough that I feel it. Just like it misses a half beat. Gone with acceleration
What could it be:confused:

Have you done anything to try and resolve it, if so what have you done?

Changed plugs, rotor, cap, plug wires?

Have you checked and cleaned (if necessary) the inside of throttle body?

Fuel pressure might be an issue.

Clean air filter wouldn't hurt.

Oh and a vacuum leak might cause an issue.

islandbum
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Newer plugs only a month or so old. New air filter.
I am returning to the states in a few days and was just making a list of parts to bring back.
Some of the sensors are hard to get here so I guess I was thinking a long those lines and asking if any sensors could be causing the problem.
What do you think?

Mudderoy
05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Newer plugs only a month or so old. New air filter.
I am returning to the states in a few days and was just making a list of parts to bring back.
Some of the sensors are hard to get here so I guess I was thinking a long those lines and asking if any sensors could be causing the problem.
What do you think?

Are you noticing any idle issues? Like it revs above 1k when you come to a stop and put it in park? Throttle position sensor comes to mind.

I'm having a problem with rough idle when I first start mine but it clears up after about 5 seconds. I think it is the idle air control, which I need to take off and clean (or replace), but most people tell me I need to check my fuel pressure.

islandbum
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I was thinking iac maybe I will just bring one back and see if it helps can't hurt it is 18 or 19 years old.
I do have a new tps so I know that one is good
Thanks for the help