PDA

View Full Version : A/C air compressor

Pioneer
05-02-2011, 02:44 AM
I cant get my air compressor clutch to engage. I removed the low pressure power wires and tried to jump it, no good. I also ran a fused wire from the battery to the clutch power wire for direct 12 volts, still no luck. Am I to assume the clutch is bad?

It also has no compression due to being empty, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

rugidone
05-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Is your clutch kicking at all(clunking) it might just be slipping?

Pioneer
05-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Not at all. Never.

4.3LXJ
05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I am a little confused here. Is this air conditioning or a compressor converted to on board air?

jeepxj95
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
have you tryed to jump the rely??

Pioneer
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
air conditioner, not oba, have not tried to jump the relay, dont know how to do that

4.3LXJ
05-02-2011, 06:47 PM
To check the clutch is a simple procedure. Hook up a wire to the positive battery terminal and then disconnect the connector on the wire to the clutch. Touch the hot wire to the wire from the clutch. If it jumps, it works. The most common cause of the compressor not engaging is being undercharged.

Pioneer
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I tried this the other day, i dont think i should have started the engine...

just went out and tried wire from battery to live clutch wire without starting the motor, the clutch did not jump, no movement.

4.3LXJ
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Clutch sounds fried then. You might want to also verify power to it with the AC switch on

Pioneer
05-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Ah, will do ASAP. Thanks.

cyclone70
06-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Turn on A/C and put a meter on the clutch coil connector.
I just replace one on mine recently.
Not a bad job,need a puller to get the pulley off.
Probably snap ring pliers too.
No tapping shaft with a hammer to get the pulley off.

Mudderoy
06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I cant get my air compressor clutch to engage. I removed the low pressure power wires and tried to jump it, no good. I also ran a fused wire from the battery to the clutch power wire for direct 12 volts, still no luck. Am I to assume the clutch is bad?

It also has no compression due to being empty, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I recently bought a 1999. I too was having problems with the A/C clutch. I took a big hammer and hit the clutch while the A/C was on and the low pressure switch was jumper-ed. Eventually I got the clutch to engage. If I turned the A/C off, or removed the jumper it wouldn't engage without the hammer. So I figured me beating the clutch every time the Jeep got hot wasn't a worth while use of my time. :mock:

Luckily a friend had a old compressor that I was able to use. Problem solved.