PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

ice_cold
04-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Ok, still chasing gremlins.
Put the meter on the battery, it shows 12.7 volts, hook it back up and it slowly discharges. Close the door and it stops...DUH.
Put the charger/booster on it, the charger says it fully chqrged. Got the boy to try and start it, charger pins itself, nothing turns over. Just clicking and buzzing. Un hook the charger and everything dies. put it on boost, same scenario, nothin.
I am guessing that the battery is totally fubared. Thinking about changing cables while I am at it. The previous owner used those clamp type replacement post clamps, never been a fan of those.
So has anyone done the big 3 on there XJ and how much cable, etc did you need.
Thanks
Mike
I will get this thing running!!

XJ Rat
04-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Check this guy out for cables.

http://www.custombatterycables.com/index.htm

4.3LXJ
04-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Are the terminals clean, how about the ends of the cables where those cheapo supremo clamps are. Try doing a test. Turn on the head lights. If they work correctly, then if you hit the starter and they dim or die, then it is probably the connection at the battery. This very same thing happens a lot.

hookedonxjs
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
If your terminals are corroded a quick and easy way to clean them is to pour lemon lime soda ( cola seems to work too) in a small bowl or cup and put the battery clamp end of cables and let soak for a few minutes and then brush them a little with stiff brush and repeat intill they are clean. There is a instantanious reaction with the acid. Also the acid can travel down or up the inside of cable and a good way to check for that is to flex the cable with your hands from battery side down and if it feels ridgid at the battery side continue down untill it feels flexible and if there is any stiff parts of the cable then it is probably corroded inside which is when you would need new cable.

ralphy
04-30-2011, 12:07 PM
A little Arm & hammer baking soda on the battery cable ends and a little water will also clean the ends, If you do change the cables make sure all the connections are clean, especially the ground cable end. I've seen a bad ground more then once be the problem. Hope this helps.

ice_cold
04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Bought new connectors, and am going through checking the grounds. And its starting to rain...jeez...

ice_cold
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Changed the cables and ends...the originals were real ugly, and blue. Hooked everything back up...now she turns over much faster...but still wont start...2 parts left to check/replace.

hookedonxjs
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Ice on the up side it was probably time to go through the charging system anyway and ya might as well do it all and you will be good to go for a long time. The only way I know to really check the alternator is to take out and let a auto parts shop test it. I'm guessin you already checked the water in the battery if it is low fill with distilled water.

ice_cold
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Well so far I have replaced all the cables with larger ones, plugs, wires,cap,rotor,cps,and other assorted items...still no start...heck if it was a manual, I could drive it on the starter!!..lol
Going to try and check cam sensor and figure out a way to test the PCM. Still no spark.

ice_cold
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
OK..what decides when to spark?
If I am thinking right..the CPS and the Cam sensor tell the PCM that its ok to fire, then the PCM grounds out the coil to fire the coil...am I close?
So the coil and the CPS have been replaced. Pulled the battery out of the Bronco to fire it..no spark at the plug. Spins like crazy though..lol Have a definite fuel smell, so fuel is not a issue.
Anyone know what plug and wires/pins to check at the PCM to see if there is continuity between there and the sensors that are required?

With fuel prices, even at 18 to 20 mpg its better than the Bronco!

Thanks for any help

ice_cold
05-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Made a discovery today...pulled the cap to check the cam position sensor....On a whim I asked my wife to turn it over....then as the rotor was turning...I grabbed it....it stopped dead in my fingers. But the engine kept spinning, I let go at it slowly jerked back to speed then stopped again.

So I guess I will be looking to find another distributor, or is it something alot simpler?

Mike

4.3LXJ
05-06-2011, 08:36 PM
It could be something as simple as the gear on the end spinning. But you will have to pull it to find out. Make sure you find top dead center first.

ice_cold
05-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Well with me turning it over for the last couple weeks, I will have to start from square one to get TDC. Then the fun of loading the distributor back into the hole correctly...some much easier on pre-computer cars.....well it will have to wait till tomorrow...to darn dark outside.
Is the gear on the bottom held on with a rolled pin or ?

4.3LXJ
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Generally roll pins.

ice_cold
05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Found the issue today. Going to have to take a closer look as to how/why this happend.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/ice_cold1959/noname.jpg

Now to fix the issue....geez, does it ever end???

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

bluedragon436
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Glad that you seem to have found your culprit... Hope it is as simple as just replacing that gear, and not having any other issues for a bit after that...

ice_cold
05-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Not much left to fix or replace..lol
NSS is the last thing to do, but not a "must do" item.