PDA

View Full Version : Skid plates

Joliet Johnny
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I was wondering if the oem skid plates are worth hunting down in the local pick-a-part or would I be better off buying aftermarket ones? To an extent money isnt an issue because I want a good solid offroad rig. Now that I have fixed the leaks and other issues (mostly cooling) its time to start the build. Also this is my 1st 4wd so I want to do it right.

Mudderoy
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I was wondering if the oem skid plates are worth hunting down in the local pick-a-part or would I be better off buying aftermarket ones? To an extent money isnt an issue because I want a good solid offroad rig. Now that I have fixed the leaks and other issues (mostly cooling) its time to start the build. Also this is my 1st 4wd so I want to do it right.

I think the OEM ones are better than not having any, and will probably be much cheaper. Once I have my SYE in I'd like to get a nice big skid plat that goes from one side of the uni-body to the other though.

I haven't looked into it in detail yet. There may be issues like performing maintenance on things, but I really like the idea of having a nice sheet of metal protecting the goodies.

prcjeep
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
the gas tank skids are a must... Rguignard, Rene, busted his a little over a month ago cuz he didnt have one... the front skid is also VERY sturdy... It helps protect most everything except the axle and drag link/center link. I dont know what the cost for these two at the jy would be but should be too much..

Mudderoy
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
This is the one I was talking about from JCR Offroad...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/XJTcaseSkidPlateDes.jpg

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/XJTcaseSkidPlatethmb.jpg

Joliet Johnny
04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
that looks nice its on the possible list

LizardRunner
04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Jcr also makes one of the best (IMO) gas tank skids. I like beafy protection, ok ok, I like beafy everything I admit it. I also don't mind the extra weight of 1/4" skids cause they are low and so also have the benifit of lowering the CG just a tad. Bumpers don't really need to be fully made of 1/4" only the space between the frame rails, the rest can be 3/16" with no problems, that helps keep overall weight down but puts the beef where you will want it during a recovery. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

4.3LXJ
04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I would like to offer a couple of thoughts on skid plates. That JCR plate looks very nice. Accept I would not like to take it into the mud. There would end up being 200# of mud trapped up there. On the other hand, if you are into rocks, that looks nice. In mud, brief plates that protect the tcase are a good way to go, sand too.

XJ4IV
04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
depends on what kind of wheelin your into! the factory skid for the front is pretty good for a basic wheeler but VERY hard to locate at a JY
but as for heavy wheelin there really isnt a good skid for the front area just beef up all your links is really the only way to get good insurance.
as for the gas tank skid... the OEM one is great I wish I had one! Ive seen some pretty good rock slams on the OE tank skid and it held up pretty good.
but as for BELLY skid... I REALLY like that JCR one... Im really thinking of how to make one of those that will work with my long arms

LizardRunner
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
what about starting out with the long arm cross member by claytons then adding to that? that cross member is a three piece unit with the center section bolted to the LA mounts. I've been thinking of using that piece for my lift build, mostly because I could fab up a couple of center sections of different sizes for different types of wheeling.

XJ4IV
04-28-2011, 09:25 AM
what about starting out with the long arm cross member by claytons then adding to that? that cross member is a three piece unit with the center section bolted to the LA mounts. I've been thinking of using that piece for my lift build, mostly because I could fab up a couple of center sections of different sizes for different types of wheeling.

Already have Ironman longarms... a 3 piece design as well