PDA

View Full Version : New lift rides rough. Opinions?

huntnjeep
04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi all,
My first post but not my first rodeo with jeeps.
I'm fixing up a '92 XJ 2 door for daily driver and AZ trail rig. I recently installed a RE 3.5' superflex kit with OME shocks. The rear is now 1" higher than the front. It also rides really rough. The tires are 31" BFG's and not overinflated.
I'm considering removing one of the leaves from the spring pack to level it, which may help with the ride as well. I really prefer a level vehicle.
I'm also thinking that I'm going to have to change shocks anyway so OME experience and opinions of alternatives would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

hookedonxjs
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
It will get softer after a few months of wheelin after the springs and shocks break in, Dirt bikes are the same and I never changed the the shock settings until the suspension started to sag for proper preload and shock valve settings.

xj4life2
04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
First of all the RE kits will make the front lower than the rear this is done for breaking and is the same stock just more pronounced lifted. As for the rough ride it takes a whule for the RE springs to soften depending on how often you use them (off road) the more the better. I personally am not a fan of OME shocks and would switch to Rancho or ProComp even the Deutchtech if nessary. OME are great on Yotas but have had bad luck on Jeeps with them

4x4Dalton
04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Just give it about 2 months total and yer ride should improve. I didnt use OME for mine but have heard to many bad stories about them on XJ's. Like Mark said if possible go with Doetsch or even Rough Country. I did a JY style 4.5 inch lift on mine using Doetsch up front and Rough Country shocks in back with S10 leaf springs. Been on for over 2 weeks now and I can feel it softing up a lil since first day. Just give it a lil while bro ya never know ya may have a sweet ride once it settles.

bluedragon436
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
All of my parts on my lift were used wit the exception of the shocks... and it was a bit rough at first... but as said before give it a bit of time to settle and then go from there.. if nothing else you might need to pick up some spacers for the front, and honestly if you can I would replace the OME shocks as said before... but give it some time to settle before you make the decision to replace anything...

4.3LXJ
04-25-2011, 09:10 PM
New suspensions nowadays will settle. It is a fact of life and the spring rates will lessen a little when they do. This is due to the method of making springs. In the old days the steel was heated to cherry red, formed and dipped in an oil bath to harden then then reheated to 400° and cooled slowly. They never settled or were brittle. Now the steel is cold worked to hardness and makes a few changes when it is flexed. Also, RE has some different spring rates available. Names like "superflex" really don't mean much.

huntnjeep
04-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll leave the lift as is and get into the rocks for more break in. Might put some weight in the back as well to help the break in. I think I'll give the shocks more thought and try something else. Gotta soften the ride a bit.
To be continued..

hookedonxjs
04-26-2011, 12:25 AM
First of all the RE kits will make the front lower than the rear this is done for breaking and is the same stock just more pronounced lifted. As for the rough ride it takes a whule for the RE springs to soften depending on how often you use them (off road) the more the better. I personally am not a fan of OME shocks and would switch to Rancho or ProComp even the Deutchtech if nessary. OME are great on Yotas but have had bad luck on Jeeps with them

Whoa did you say deutchtech? I loved my old deutchtechs.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Wow, most folks rave over OME shocks, I'm surprised.

Where your front control arms replaced?

bananaclip
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I just installed OME long travel shocks and love them! I was running the rough country kit shocks for a few months and they were very rigid.

cthwaites
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I have an older 4" lift with Old Man Emu shocks. Probably 50k on this lift. I just bought this rig. I want to soften the ride as well. New shocks? Which ones?
Chris

huntnjeep
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Update: Spoke with the guys at OME/ARB. They were very helpful. Following our discussion I removed the rear shocks and gave it a test drive. PLENTY of flex in the rear springs so it's definitely a matter of being "over shocked". I have the discontinued N35L's and N36L's, which are designed for a little heavier rigs. My Cherokee is a '92, 2 door with no extra bumpers, roof rack, etc. so it's about a light as a Cherokee gets. Unfortunately OME doesn't have another shock to suit my needs so I'm going to look at the adjustable Ranchos and possibly Bilstein. It also leaves me with a set of bomber shocks I can't use. Hello Ebay and Craigslist.
I don't have any complaints about OME. I just bought the wrong shock.

jccatt
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Shocks are like tyres, everyone has an opinion, I think rancho are over priced. Sounds like you want a soft ride. Some companys have different ride types. Google is your friend.

4x4Dalton
05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I would still give Rough Country a look bro. They are on mine in the rear and its a smooth ride for me.