PDA

View Full Version : '92 XJ Sport transmission cooler lines

WilliamK1974
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Not long ago, I posted a question on here about what sounded like engine pinging at the point when the transmission was about to shift, especially from 1st to 2nd. Since then, this issue is looking more like a transmission problem rather than engine knock.

Just over a week ago, I discovered that the lower hose running from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator had a leak, and the level of fluid in the trans was low according to the dipstick.

As a stopgap measure, I poured in a bottle of Trans Stop-Leak and topped off the fluid level with ATF+4. This actually "solved" the problem for three or four days. The transmission shifted more smoothly, tightly, and the knocking sound disappeared. But this was just temporary, and the leak has resumed, along with the knocking sound.

So, I decided to change both the inlet and outlet lines. The local Advance actually had them in stock, but there's just one problem: the lines they carry are designed for quik-connect, and what's fitted in the vehicle are screwed in with flare nuts.

At some point recently, the radiator has been replaced, though I'm not sure when as maintenance records on this vehicle are non-existant. From what I gathered, the stock radiator from the factory was fitted with the quik-connects, but this aftermarket radiator is different.

So, what's the next option to explore? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
-Bill

Mudderoy
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Not long ago, I posted a question on here about what sounded like engine pinging at the point when the transmission was about to shift, especially from 1st to 2nd. Since then, this issue is looking more like a transmission problem rather than engine knock.

Just over a week ago, I discovered that the lower hose running from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator had a leak, and the level of fluid in the trans was low according to the dipstick.

As a stopgap measure, I poured in a bottle of Trans Stop-Leak and topped off the fluid level with ATF+4. This actually "solved" the problem for three or four days. The transmission shifted more smoothly, tightly, and the knocking sound disappeared. But this was just temporary, and the leak has resumed, along with the knocking sound.

So, I decided to change both the inlet and outlet lines. The local Advance actually had them in stock, but there's just one problem: the lines they carry are designed for quik-connect, and what's fitted in the vehicle are screwed in with flare nuts.

At some point recently, the radiator has been replaced, though I'm not sure when as maintenance records on this vehicle are non-existant. From what I gathered, the stock radiator from the factory was fitted with the quik-connects, but this aftermarket radiator is different.

So, what's the next option to explore? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
-Bill

That's interesting, I didn't know a knocking sound could come from the transmission. Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.

WilliamK1974
04-23-2011, 08:38 PM
It's an odd sound. From inside the cabin, it sounds like the engine briefly turns into a diesel, then the gears shift and it's back to normal.