PDA

View Full Version : Help with no high-beams...

Mr Clean
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
The low beams in my '01 XJ Limited work fine. High-beams worked fine up until several months ago. They just quit coming on when the multi-function lever on the steering column was pushed forward to turn them on or pulled back to "flash" an oncoming driver with the high-beams. I up graded the wiring harness to the harness to a LMC 36-3580 and IPF H4 Fatboy's 2 years ago with no issues. The low's still work on the upgraded harness but no highs. I checked the relays, there are 2 with this harness, switching them between each other and seeing if the headlights came on, they did, so it doesn’t seem like it's the relays. The fuses must be good otherwise the headlights wouldn't be on at all if any were blown, correct? I just finished replacing the Multi-Function Lever on the steering column, it wasn't the problem because I still have no high-beams but I do have a brand new multi-function lever! So what are my next steps or plan of attack? Is there something I'm missing....? Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. Sorry so long winded I just wanted to make sure you have all the details need to properly help resolve my issue.
Thanx.

Mudderoy
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
The low beams in my '01 XJ Limited work fine. High-beams worked fine up until several months ago. They just quit coming on when the multi-function lever on the steering column was pushed forward to turn them on or pulled back to "flash" an oncoming driver with the high-beams. I up graded the wiring harness to the harness to a LMC 36-3580 and IPF H4 Fatboy's 2 years ago with no issues. The low's still work on the upgraded harness but no highs. I checked the relays, there are 2 with this harness, switching them between each other and seeing if the headlights came on, they did, so it doesn’t seem like it's the relays. The fuses must be good otherwise the headlights wouldn't be on at all if any were blown, correct? I just finished replacing the Multi-Function Lever on the steering column, it wasn't the problem because I still have no high-beams but I do have a brand new multi-function lever! So what are my next steps or plan of attack? Is there something I'm missing....? Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. Sorry so long winded I just wanted to make sure you have all the details need to properly help resolve my issue.
Thanx.

Let me make sure I understand. High beams were working. You upgraded the lights, and replaced the factory wiring with a harness. Both low and high beams worked after this.

So you swapped the relays. What do the relays control? One for high beams and the other for low beams? So when you swapped the relays the high beams DID NOT come on and the low beams did? In other words no change?

Mudderoy
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm betting that one relay is for high beams and the other for low.

If the high beams are not working the relay is bad, it's not receiving a signal to come on, or you have a bad ground.

If you have swapped the relays and the lows still work then the relay is fine.

Now it would be time to confirm that you are getting power to the relay and then power out of the relay to turn on the high beams.

Mr Clean
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Let me make sure I understand. High beams were working. You upgraded the lights, and replaced the factory wiring with a harness. Both low and high beams worked after this.

So you swapped the relays. What do the relays control? One for high beams and the other for low beams? So when you swapped the relays the high beams DID NOT come on and the low beams did? In other words no change?

Correct highs worked fine until a few months ago; yes, upgraded & both high & low beams worked after this. The relays are part of the harness, as to what they control my guess would be yes one could be for the high beams & one for the low beams or each one controls both high & low beams. Yes when I swapped the relays the high beams DID NOT come on & the low beams did. And correct no change.

Would or could only the high beam portion of the relay go bad, if one individual relay goes bad or fails they both fail to turn on the high beams or low beams depending with part or the relay went bad?

Mudderoy
04-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Correct highs worked fine until a few months ago; yes, upgraded & both high & low beams worked after this. The relays are part of the harness, as to what they control my guess would be yes one could be for the high beams & one for the low beams or each one controls both high & low beams. Yes when I swapped the relays the high beams DID NOT come on & the low beams did. And correct no change.

Would or could only the high beam portion of the relay go bad, if one individual relay goes bad or fails they both fail to turn on the high beams or low beams depending with part or the relay went bad?

Relays are cheap, you could try replacing one and worse case you'd have a spare. The relay for high beams COULD be wired differently but I doubt it.

It's going to be either the voltage going to the relay, the voltage coming out of the relay to the headlights. Get a volt meter and you'll find the problem.

Mr Clean
04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm betting that one relay is for high beams and the other for low.

If the high beams are not working the relay is bad, it's not receiving a signal to come on, or you have a bad ground.

If you have swapped the relays and the lows still work then the relay is fine.

Now it would be time to confirm that you are getting power to the relay and then power out of the relay to turn on the high beams.

How do I confirm this, that I'm getting power to the relay and then out of the relay?

Another thing, the high beam indicator light that comes on when you have the high beams on only comes on when the multi-function lever is pulled toward you like if you were flashing an oncoming car. It does not come on when pushed forward as it should when the high beams are on. Not sure if that makes any difference with the problem.

Mudderoy
04-21-2011, 12:25 AM
How do I confirm this, that I'm getting power to the relay and then out of the relay?

Another thing, the high beam indicator light that comes on when you have the high beams on only comes on when the multi-function lever is pulled toward you like if you were flashing an oncoming car. It does not come on when pushed forward as it should when the high beams are on. Not sure if that makes any difference with the problem.

Well I was a little concerned that you may have introduced a problem by replacing the multi-function lever.

Take your volt meter, you can get a cheap one for $8 at a electronics store.

You'll need to get an internal diagram of the relay that you have. Looking at the diagram and what wires are attached where you'll see where you need to measure the voltages.

After looking at this you will also be able to see how you can bypass the multifunction lever to "test" to see if maybe the lever is hooked up wrong, or faulty.

I don't know the timing of the changes but you could have two problems causing the high beams not to work. Thank God this isn't a low beam problem.

Mr Clean
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Well I was a little concerned that you may have introduced a problem by replacing the multi-function lever.

Take your volt meter, you can get a cheap one for $8 at a electronics store.

You'll need to get an internal diagram of the relay that you have. Looking at the diagram and what wires are attached where you'll see where you need to measure the voltages.

After looking at this you will also be able to see how you can bypass the multifunction lever to "test" to see if maybe the lever is hooked up wrong, or faulty.

I don't know the timing of the changes but you could have two problems causing the high beams not to work. Thank God this isn't a low beam problem.

I'm pretty sure replacing the multi-function lever hasen't opened pandoras box causing additional issues. Everything works as it did before except for the high beams; it's only a 2 plug & play lever. I tried to upload you 2 pics of the type of relays I'm working with but I'm getting this message:
Exceeds forum quota by 42.8 KB. How do I upload pics?

Now I need to learn how to use a multimeter to check everything. Haven't checked yet but any topics on here on how to use a multimeter to check issues like what I'm dealing with? ?

And yea Thank God it's not the low beams!

Mudderoy
04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure replacing the multi-function lever hasen't opened pandoras box causing additional issues. Everything works as it did before except for the high beams; it's only a 2 plug & play lever.

I tried to upload you 2 pics of what type of relays I'm working with but I'm getting this message:

Forum attachment quota has been reached

I noticed you are trying to upload a picture to the site. You've run out of space. We have a very limited amount of space for pictures. What you do is use a picture hosting service, like photobucket. Here is a link on how to post a picture.

How to post an image (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=174)

Let me know if you need help. We really like seeing the pictures!

Mudderoy
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure replacing the multi-function lever hasen't opened pandoras box causing additional issues. Everything works as it did before except for the high beams; it's only a 2 plug & play lever.

I tried to upload you 2 pics of what type of relays I'm working with but I'm getting this message:

That's right you said high beams worked AFTER changing the multi function lever. Good, scratch that then, at least for now. :o

Mr Clean
04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
That's right you said high beams worked AFTER changing the multi function lever. Good, scratch that then, at least for now. :o

No, my high beams didn't work BEFORE or AFTER changing the lever, so don't scratch that, whatever THAT is..

Mudderoy
04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
No, my high beams didn't work BEFORE or AFTER changing the lever, so don't scratch that, whatever THAT is..

I need a nap...

Get the volt meter on it and trace that 12 volts to see where it stops. I think I'd start at the headlight. If you have 12 volts there the problem isn't the switch or the wiring. It's the bulb! I know prob isn't that but...

4.3LXJ
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
If I could chime in here, I think we can narrow the problem a little more quickly. I would operate the lever to engage the high beams until the lights go out. Then pull the plug on the relays and check the wires going to terminals that go to the prongs labeled 10 and 12 on the relay. These are the two vertical spades on the sides in this pic.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0487.jpg

One of these should have power on one of the plugs. You need to check both since you don't know which is powering the high beams. If you find that neither of the plugs has power then the most likely thing that happened is that when you replaced the lever, the rod that actuates the high/low beams has been displaced and not functioning. The actual switch is on the left side of the steering column under the dash. It is operated by a rod that goes from the lever in the steering wheel area to the switch. There are two rods, make sure you are looking at the one on the driver side of the column. The other operates the ignition switch on the passenger side. If you operate the lever, the rod should move and be inside the switch.

Mr Clean
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Tony, Steve thanks for all the information on what to check; I'm on it and will report back with my findings or any additional questions. Now I'm off to lean how to use a multimeter to check these things out.

Mr Clean
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
After almost a year, an update on what the issue was with my headlights. The + wire that attaches to the + battery terminal was destroyed from battery acid, go figure. One copper wire in the twisted strand was all the was making contact. When I slightly tugged on it it broke off completely.
I've since replaced it (the wire) and cleaned up the contact point and have had no issues since doing so but I keep an eye on it.

BTW how do I stop or prevent battery acid from forming on my terminals? It's eating the hold down clamps, tray anything in it's path.

LizardRunner
02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
For the Battery tray use automotive undercoating or a bed liner product or plasticoat or liquid electrial tape,( the first two are cheeper). Coat the tray completely, two or three applications will ensure you got everything coated well. Battery acid on the terminals is an indication that either the battery is over full or venting because of heat, if that battery is still good, you can do several things; use the red and green felt neutralizer pads under your terminal connectors, coat the cleaned terminals and connectors with dielectric grease, or spray with an undercoating. If your having that much trouble with corrosion, You might fare better with replacing the battery with a gel type battery.

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
After almost a year, an update on what the issue was with my headlights. The + wire that attaches to the + battery terminal was destroyed from battery acid, go figure. One copper wire in the twisted strand was all the was making contact. When I slightly tugged on it it broke off completely.
I've since replaced it (the wire) and cleaned up the contact point and have had no issues since doing so but I keep an eye on it.

BTW how do I stop or prevent battery acid from forming on my terminals? It's eating the hold down clamps, tray anything in it's path.

Thanks for the update. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated finding someone with the same problem I had, asking questions, getting suggestions, but never taking the time to come back and post what the solution was. No telling how many people you will help with this solution post. :thanx:

Carves
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the update. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated finding someone with the same problem I had, asking questions, getting suggestions, but never taking the time to come back and post what the solution was. No telling how many people you will help with this solution post. :thanx: