PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights hookup

88AMCOMANCHE
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I purchased some walmart 18.00 foglights (they look like the originals).. It comes with a short 6" ground wire , a Long red main power wire, & a white hot wire for conecting the 2nd light.
Im trying to hook them up using the factory dash Foglight switch. ....Ive located a "pigtail" plug hanging down behind the bumper with a Black wire and a Green wire. Just as a test,I hooked the foglight main wire directly into the pigtail & the lights came on & when i switch the headlights to Bright they go off. so......all seems normal. - What im mostly concerned & unsure about is ....... the pigtail has a Hot wire & Ground wire in it ....yet the lighst come on when i just hook up the Hot wire by itself. Should I "assume" the switch is already grounded? since it came with foglights from the factory and I know theres a black wire on the back of the switch.
OR.......should i tie in to to the ground on teh pigtail and ground it again even though the lights work by just hooking up the hot wire.? sorry so long,just trying to cover everything.

Mudderoy
04-19-2011, 01:25 AM
I purchased some walmart 18.00 foglights (they look like the originals).. It comes with a short 6" ground wire , a Long red main power wire, & a white hot wire for conecting the 2nd light.
Im trying to hook them up using the factory dash Foglight switch. ....Ive located a "pigtail" plug hanging down behind the bumper with a Black wire and a Green wire. Just as a test,I hooked the foglight main wire directly into the pigtail & the lights came on & when i switch the headlights to Bright they go off. so......all seems normal. - What im mostly concerned & unsure about is ....... the pigtail has a Hot wire & Ground wire in it ....yet the lighst come on when i just hook up the Hot wire by itself. Should I "assume" the switch is already grounded? since it came with foglights from the factory and I know theres a black wire on the back of the switch.
OR.......should i tie in to to the ground on teh pigtail and ground it again even though the lights work by just hooking up the hot wire.? sorry so long,just trying to cover everything.

We may require you stop buying stuff until you get a :camera: :mock: :rolleye0012: :D

bluedragon436
04-19-2011, 04:53 AM
According to all the wiring diagrams I can find right now, the switch is already grounded... but you should still ground your lights as well.. Been thinking of purchasing newer, brighter lights that are similar design to replace my factory fog lights... just can't talk myself into purchasing lights that are going to get replaced when I upgrade my bumper...