PDA

View Full Version : SENSOR overkill

88AMCOMANCHE
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Ive looked at several 4.0 Jeeps Older & newer. But mostly older ......And none of them seem to have the mass overload of gadjets & various "they do something just not sure what" sensors.
Theres also a trillion & a half vaccuum lines & wiring.
Yet ive seen an 88 jeep cherokee same drivetrain & same interior options as mine and when i raised the hood. I didnt see even half of the wiring & sensors as what mine has. ..... Wish I could elliminate or simplify under my hood somehow. There must be 35 sensors & things i have no idea what they do or what theyre for. They cant be All necessary ,can they?:cry:

steph74
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
that is everybody's dream... I am afraid to remove anything....
I am sure they all have a function that is important. And I am pretty sure that some work together...

rguignard
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
i think bluexj is the best one for this question hes the one that know the renex system

xj4life2
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Yes all of that is nessary if you have a Renex system on the truck, I also have the Renex and would never own another one.That being said, heres a link that is very helpful
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm
Hope this helps if you have specific questions let me know if I can help.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Youd never own another one? Is it that bad? or something specific maybe. Or is it the same complaint as I have with way too many sensors & vaccuum lines for who knows what. And ty for the link. Will check it out.

xj4life2
04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Naw all the sensors don't bug me its the brake system I hate , One year newer and I'da been fine

steph74
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
yes the sensors are annoying, but what a great way to learn ;)
They are not very difficult to diagnose with a good multimeter for most of them.... the only problem is the price lol I find some of them pretty expensive ;)

nevertheless, if you find info on some that we can deal without, it might be interesting.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
thats for sure. I know a lady that has a 90 Cherokee and under her hood,it looks empty lol doesnt have Not even Half the stuff mine has. Im jealous. So easy to clean, so easy to diagnose should a problem arise. Just easier.