PDA

View Full Version : XJ 6x9 or 6 1/2 speaker upgrade

msmoorenburg
04-18-2011, 07:05 AM
So my 91 has no tunes (no speakers either) so fella's post up picks of your mods. No need for subs just door and hatch setups!

Mudderoy
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
So my 91 has no tunes (no speakers either) so fella's post up picks of your mods. No need for subs just door and hatch setups!

I went back and forth on this, at least for replacing the front speakers. Finally I went in with some Infinitys but not the factory replacement. That was maybe 3 years ago, one is blown.

So I'm just going to get a good brand that fits. These didn't have the bass response the originals had anyway...

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 10:51 AM
6 x9 are flawed from the start because of the shape, at higher volume you can see it's shape distort at the four "corners", and that leads to distortion, that is why you will never see home audio with oval speakers or high end car audio 6x9s. For the hatch lid I reccomend nothing the vibration that they will produce will drive you nuts. I tried screwing and gluing the plastic panel and I could never get rid of the anouying vibration. I reccomend Insted of buying 2 sets of inexpensive speakers buy one set of decent speakers either coaxial or components with either built in crossover or outboard crossovers and one of these 3 tweeter types silk( sometimes called textile),aluminum or titanium. Avoid mylar tweeters which are in most speakers at walmart. However online walmart has some good stuff . Go 6.5" you must have a pre 97 and I would mount them on top of the door panel screwed into door after removing the stock grills on panel. Of course you will have to drill new holes becuase the stocks are 5.25". If it were a 97-01 mount speakers to door panel only. This means cutting a hole them. What happens is with the stock grills cause deflection and sound starts bouncing around in your door. The grills that come with speakers are tuned and help difuse the sound. Sound dampening sheets work.

I also recomend an amp, it will do a few things first your head unit will run cooler which means less distortion and it has a hipass crossover that will let the speakers play louder by eliminting lower frequencies that the speaker can not produce. My reccomendation for crossover settings is 60hz hipass with no sub and 80hz hipass and 80hz lowpass with a sub. most bass in rock is in the 60 on up techno can go all the way down to 20hz.. your ears hear about 40 to 16000 hz. so when you see tweeter specs to 24000hz only your dog will hear the difference.

If you got any more questions ask I did cover alot of this in xj sound system part I and even gave online dealers that have real deals. In my half a$$ atempt to put together what is the culmination of owning 4 xjs and freinds and families xjs and having free access to anything and everything in car audio. If you are not that familiar with car audio PM me with the amount of cash you want to cut loss with and I will check out some deals for ya.

Later hooked

xj4life2
04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey msmorenburg I went back to the stock size speaker and just upgraded to a better speaker with more output capability. I did put a 8" sub in the back cut out just for some mild bass and a good blend. It can thump but not what I'm after , just good sound. I have a Kenwood deck and a 500w amp. Speakers I believe are Kenwood also. I used the existing wireing for the speakers and ran new for the sub and the amp . Sounds great almost covers up the exhaust or lack there of. lol lol

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's for some perspective. Hertz are made in italy this set of components have electronic active crossovers. They sell for $5,000 a set. There is a 5 page article on a system I did using hertz and audisson in the jan. 07 low rider mag. Which is part of the macmillan publihishing group who publishes lots of mags. Once you get in with them they will try to use you in every mag they can. Ok so I guesse my point of this is when your looking at some 50 buck speaks and some 70 dollar ones therhttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22/alarmingentertainment/car%20audio/hertzmlk3inboxlidopen.jpge's not much difference.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/patrolman1997/car%20audio/DSC_4500.jpg
These are made in germany had their 3 way component set up in my 89 using qlogic kickpanel kit, 8" in doors and 5.25" and tweets in kicks. I won several SQ contest with that set up against a crap load of hot import night types They laughed when I pulled up in a lifted xj until they saw. The xj is a great platform for audio due to it's interior size. Sound needs to expand and small car just don't allow for that. Anyway couldn't find picture of their $5,000 dollar set these are just $1,100 a set.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Real american made amp sells for abouthttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/rommelrommel1/DSC04166.jpg $2,500

msmoorenburg
04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Well the info is great but i'm not gonna spend that kind of coin in a mud bug/ rock crawler. I'd like to see how well 6 1/2 fit ver's factory speakers. My rig is a 91 and I did pickup the factory sound bar that goes in the rear.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
The world's most winningest and copied sub.http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/madespl/car%20audio/z-3qtr.jpg

rguignard
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
that is some ba stuff but its worth more than my jeep lol but i bet it sounds great !!!!

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=msmoorenburg;75073]Well the info is great but i'm not gonna spend that kind of coin in a mud bug/ rock crawler. I'd like to see how well 6 1/2 fit ver's factory speakers. My rig is a 91 and I did pickup the factory sound bar that goes in the rear.[/QUOTE
By removing stock speaker grills 6.5" fit the magnet fits in the stock cut out and the flange will sit on the door panel, but I'm dead serious about the vibes the back panel will make. Look at the online dealers I posted in part one. You will get stuff at wholesale prices. Definetly use the sound bar. But 5.25" speakers are the stock size if you plan on no sub I really would be leaning towards the 6.5" though they produce more bass. I have done some amazing low budget systems. A good brand that I like that's inexpensive is power bass they have coaxials with silk tweets and built in crossovers for the price of some cheesy pioneer, sonys ect. All companies make good stuff but they also make some cheap crap too. Make it easy on yourself sand me a PM and I will do some research for ya. When I had my shop I would often do free installs for kids with no dads to help them.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
that is some ba stuff but its worth more than my jeep lol but i bet it sounds great !!!! I made these post just for perspective so people don't sweat that extra 10 bucks for audio.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Moose

I used the cheapest Sony deck, it had knobs. It is easy to adjust while driving. Almost old school.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1094.jpg

Then I put 6.5" three way speakers in the door.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1092.jpg

And 6X9" three ways in the rear

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1093.jpg

The rear speakers required I make a wood spacer since the panel is about 5/8" off the fiberglass and a little fiberglass removed to accommodate the speaker in the stock position. The front speakers I made a little plate I pop riveted to the door so I could use some other holes for the speakers. However on the wife's XJ I put some Sony speakers (which I didn't like nearly as well) and used the stock holes.

hookedonxjs
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice 4.3 It looks like what I did for my dad and it was a big improvement over stock. My dad had a cassete player though. The funny thing about head units is the amp and tuners are the same on the $69 to the 300 plus decks. Like I talked about in part one of xj sound system things that will make a difference are 24 bit resolution most decks are 1 bit and burrbrown processing built in electronic crossovers and hi volt rca outputs and eq for compressed music files. Other than that graphix flip down face plate don't do a thing, besides all the graphix are stupid nothing like watching dolfins jumping while your wheelin.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes, this unit will run subs and power antenna and anything else, accept it was pre ipod so no jack for it. I have had this unit for about 10 years now and just lost the graphics the other day. A little smoke job that didn't trip the fuse. My next deck will accept the ipod. Oldies are getting hard to find on the radio anyway. Just lost our local station.

hookedonxjs
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Yes, this unit will run subs and power antenna and anything else, accept it was pre ipod so no jack for it. I have had this unit for about 10 years now and just lost the graphics the other day. A little smoke job that didn't trip the fuse. My next deck will accept the ipod. Oldies are getting hard to find on the radio anyway. Just lost our local station.

4.3 concider a deck with built in bluetooth it will self mute and a usb port infact there are now decks just for compressed media no cd player. For your oldies I would concider going satelite, You can see my sirius in part one. I live half way between san diego and la we have lousy radio and reception here. Last time I went to moab I listened to classic vinyl the whole way. They have a ala carte plan 50 stations for $6 a month. I like that it has fox news and talk stations and any and every kind of music you can think of. What I like about the set up I have is I have the boom box and home dock so I can take it out of the car with me where ever I go. To find the best deal find the deck you want and then go to any of the 3 places I mentioned in my xj sound system thread. You will save a ton of bread. 97-01 xjs need a dash kit and pre 97 no dash kit.

4.3LXJ
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks. I think that when I do take the plunge, I will get the one that takes accepts the ipod. I am an Apple guy anyway. It is getting so that to listen to some of the music I like I am either going to have to down load it into the ipod or use satellite radio. I really like the idea of slipping the ipod into the unit out of sight. The unit I have now has enough base for me. I can turn it up and down at the touch of a button and sufficient for what I want. I would not feel good without a waterproof amp anyway. There are places I will go, like the Fordyce creek trail that the water is above the doors and places where I go now that the water is up to them and getting deeper.

hookedonxjs
04-20-2011, 12:56 AM
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z363/brian_mcdonald1/idaalpine.jpgAlpine IDAx305s
This would be your deck, multi media no cd player. Your an apple person there is internet radio called pandora that my nieces and nephews use off there I phone. Maybe you should concider mounting amp high marine amps are just powder coated white. But marine speakers might be something to concider.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I haven't had water inside yet, but came close. I am not really headed for subs anyway. I have been satisfied with my sound system, and so were the teenagers when they were still at home. But it was new then.

Metlic53
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
i have infinity reference series 5 1/4 with a fosgate amp running four of them. They are the loudest crisp speaker i've heard. But you gotta have a good amp for them. ive also got 2 12'' JL subs, but am thinkin of downgrading to a small sub in the right rear of the jeep. I need space! i asked for 6x9 and they said they would have to do some major modification to the doors to get them to fit, i could prob do it myself but just got direct bolt in with an amp. No bass, just mid and highs with tweeters.

hookedonxjs
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
i have infinity reference series 5 1/4 with a fosgate amp running four of them. They are the loudest crisp speaker i've heard. But you gotta have a good amp for them. ive also got 2 12'' JL subs, but am thinkin of downgrading to a small sub in the right rear of the jeep. I need space! i asked for 6x9 and they said they would have to do some major modification to the doors to get them to fit, i could prob do it myself but just got direct bolt in with an amp. No bass, just mid and highs with tweeters.

I personly don't care for 6x9s they were big in the 70s and jensen triaxials were the best. I have owned them and when running an amp you can actualy see the cone distort at the points by the mounting holes and this is because of their shape it's suspension dose not push and pull evenly. I know bazooka tubes don't look as good as a sub you and your friends can admire but they put out big bass in a small place built of rugged plastic . The best sound can be had by pointing the sub towards the lift gate or towards the corner pocket area. This is called loading. Depending if you have a sound bar or not, I do not recomend mounting them in the lift gate if you play it loud you will end up with lots of rattles. The only way I got rid of them in my 89 was to fill the whole panel with spray foam insulation. But my dad's 88 he didn't listen to it too loud and there was just a little anoying rattle. Check out what you want at shop ask if they will show you what things sound like in the xj. Then go to onlinecarstereo.com to see if it's a deal or not. My shop I had a 50foot speaker lead and we would throw what ever you wanted to hear in your car. If middle eastern people own the shop run, down here they have adds for killer deals but when it comes down to buying they are out of stock or you have to pay extra for all kinds of crap"switch and bait" other places throw in. Too bad your not down here I would be more than happy to help. If you have not read my xj sound systems I and II there is alot of good info and my xj box design that was the best one I made for my xjs to keep a small foot print in the back and protect the sub from anything rolling around. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Metlic53
04-22-2011, 12:59 AM
I personly don't care for 6x9s they were big in the 70s and jensen triaxials were the best. I have owned them and when running an amp you can actualy see the cone distort at the points by the mounting holes and this is because of their shape it's suspension dose not push and pull evenly. I know bazooka tubes don't look as good as a sub you and your friends can admire but they put out big bass in a small place built of rugged plastic . The best sound can be had by pointing the sub towards the lift gate or towards the corner pocket area. This is called loading. Depending if you have a sound bar or not, I do not recomend mounting them in the lift gate if you play it loud you will end up with lots of rattles. The only way I got rid of them in my 89 was to fill the whole panel with spray foam insulation. But my dad's 88 he didn't listen to it too loud and there was just a little anoying rattle. Check out what you want at shop ask if they will show you what things sound like in the xj. Then go to onlinecarstereo.com to see if it's a deal or not. My shop I had a 50foot speaker lead and we would throw what ever you wanted to hear in your car. If middle eastern people own the shop run, down here they have adds for killer deals but when it comes down to buying they are out of stock or you have to pay extra for all kinds of crap"switch and bait" other places throw in. Too bad your not down here I would be more than happy to help. If you have not read my xj sound systems I and II there is alot of good info and my xj box design that was the best one I made for my xjs to keep a small foot print in the back and protect the sub from anything rolling around. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

When it comes down to music i'm pretty good and know what goes with what. i had a bazooka tube with the 10 in sub (i got it for free and threw it in the back) and the thing sounded amazing, i also had a punch stage 3 fosgate sub in the back. well after a week it all got stolen. I've had two systems stolen from me, a kenwood system (2 12's) door speakers, sony amps, and the JEEP, found the jeep a week after christmas 2007. got the next system stolen a week after i got it. installed viper security and haven't had problems currently. My current setup is 4 infinitys, pioneer fold out deck, 2 12'' JL audio w3's with custom ported box, rockford fosgate p500-2 running the subs and fosgate r300-4 running the infinitys and a 2 farad capacitor. i think its 2 farad. I always look at online car stereo before i buy something. i wont allow anyone to install any speaker setup anymore due to the fact that the stereo places around here try to rip me off because im a kid.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members/metlic53-12264/albums/1997-jeep-cherokee-sport/13626-a.jpg

hookedonxjs
04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Look at the way I have my amp mounted in xj sound system I have it rip off proof by using machine screws,washers and lock nuts through the side panel you need to pull out the panel insert screws with washers from back and lock nuts and washers on the amp side so if you had a nut driver you would still need the panel pulled out to keep the machine screws from turning which at that point the crook will say this is more hassle than it's worth. Also with this set up the amp runs cool out the way and you can take the subs out at night. The way your set up is now it's all on the box so they can take every thing at once.Once I lived in a kinda bad area and My cassette deck got ripped off all the time and I started leaving the doors unlocked so they wouldn't break the window anymore, but whoever didn't check to see if door was unlocked and broke window again. I the left the window open but thought of a way to stop this because I had no garage to park at night. So I lodged a 4" hunting knife under the seat with the tip towards the headliner and the handle on floor board held in place by the foam. Went to my ranchero to go to work remembering to remove the knife and I discovered that the door was wide open just like all the previous times before but to my surprize the deck was still there and so was who's ever blood on my seat, alot of blood in fact. Then me and my freinds that day after work cruised round untill we saw a kid walking funny, like he broke his a$$. Never found him or her "because we had the worst girls gang in OC on our street the damas de la noche" But that was the last time it got broke into. I hope this helps if you were in the area in would help you for free. Oh yeah don't beafraid to do your own install on the speakers it's very easy and chances are you will do a better job than the hacks at most carstereo shops.

hookedonxjs
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
When it comes down to music i'm pretty good and know what goes with what. i had a bazooka tube with the 10 in sub (i got it for free and threw it in the back) and the thing sounded amazing, i also had a punch stage 3 fosgate sub in the back. well after a week it all got stolen. I've had two systems stolen from me, a kenwood system (2 12's) door speakers, sony amps, and the JEEP, found the jeep a week after christmas 2007. got the next system stolen a week after i got it. installed viper security and haven't had problems currently. My current setup is 4 infinitys, pioneer fold out deck, 2 12'' JL audio w3's with custom ported box, rockford fosgate p500-2 running the subs and fosgate r300-4 running the infinitys and a 2 farad capacitor. i think its 2 farad. I always look at online car stereo before i buy something. i wont allow anyone to install any speaker setup anymore due to the fact that the stereo places around here try to rip me off because im a kid.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members/metlic53-12264/albums/1997-jeep-cherokee-sport/13626-a.jpg

Ported boxes rock metlic and the jl's sound way better in a ported box. Good choice.