PDA

View Full Version : Doors wont stay Open,WHY

88AMCOMANCHE
04-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Hello everybody. Both my doors when u open them, there is nothing to keep them open. They move freely & will often swing back & try to close. - I used to have an old 69 mach 1 Mustang that I rebuiilt years ago, & I remember there was a spring in the door againts this metal piece which kept tension on teh door once you oepned it.
My truck has No springs or anything.Just some metal long thing that moves freely. Is a spring missing?? anyone know what its called if thats the case. The doors are agrivating because they never stay open cuz gravity will slowly make them shut.:mad0029:

hookedonxjs
04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
88 I changed out the front door checks in my dad's 88xj 10 years ago. They have them at a website called team cherokee @ $62.95 each. I think that they are the only place now after they bought out the factory. Good place to know about they were only place that had the lift gate bumpers. They will fix your problem for sure. And there's always pick a part.

XJ4IV
04-16-2011, 07:34 AM
there is a little arm between the hinges that has a pin on it
looks like this
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj_eb6Dqqm9bNzUhhWkem1U6i6AnBnS dzNqPIK5ZqVH9J2SfKJ&t=1
not sure if yours is bad or missing or what but thats what makes the door stop in the two locations while open, it has a MEGA spring in it and yes when its in the "closed position" you REALLY gotta crank on it to get it out to the open position

88AMCOMANCHE
04-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanx a lot. Based on the price....I guess i will have to put that on my "things needed to replace eventually" list. Right now,Im considering Removing my clutch fan blade & insalling another Electric fan in its place.Ive heard it increases horsepower slightly and also gas milage. But that too is onthe backburner.

XJ4IV
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanx a lot. Based on the price....I guess i will have to put that on my "things needed to replace eventually" list. Right now,Im considering Removing my clutch fan blade & insalling another Electric fan in its place.Ive heard it increases horsepower slightly and also gas milage. But that too is onthe backburner.

I did that as well.... as for HP gain... I didnt really notice but it worked WONDERS on the ole cooling system... 80+ MPH for about 20 miles today WITH AC blowing and stayed under 200 degrees!

XJ4IV
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
oh and that hinge thing... just snag one at a junkyard, they SHOULD be the same from XJ to MJ, I THINK the ZJ had the same one as well to remove it you have to remove the inside door trim to get it out once you remove the nuts... but simple... I never even use mine though cause of the doorless conversion, if it werent a PITA on my jeep Id send mine to you but opening MY door is a little difficult due to the crap I have modified on the doors inside

88AMCOMANCHE
04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
wellthanx. I appreciate the thought. - Ive decided WHEN i do it,Im just going to replace the drivers side only. .unless ofcoarse its a super easy job,which so far Nothing on the truuck has been simple. Nothing. Everything ive set out to do,somehow has snoballed into another project needing to be fixed or a reason to go spend some money at the parts store or ebay somehow. But of it turns out fairly easy I'll do both sides. If not ....MY side gets fixed lol

XJ4IV
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
oh its very easy.... the hardest part is pulling the arm out if its in the closed position.... but just put some vice grips on it REALLY tight and give it a good tug BUT if you remove one at a junkyard it should be in the open position. remember one important thing.... get that pin as well unless you wanna throw a bolt in it

88AMCOMANCHE
04-17-2011, 12:14 AM
okay, Thanx. Right now its on hietus *however thats spelled* .....but will be pulling it out of the garage later this week.

4x4Dalton
04-17-2011, 01:42 PM
If ya can once you get the hinges and go to fix yer doors do a thread on it. May help somebody else out down the road with theirs.

WilliamK1974
04-23-2011, 08:32 PM
On my '92, the arm is pinned to the body, but whatever's supposed to work inside the door itself seems to have come loose. I can't tell what's going on cause none of the holes in the door skin are big enough to access anything. Any idea how to cure this?

88AMCOMANCHE
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
from what i gather.....It takes removing the door panel inside & getting to it that way. The piece is called a "door check" .....its on my list of things to do one day.

XJ4IV
04-24-2011, 08:27 AM
On my '92, the arm is pinned to the body, but whatever's supposed to work inside the door itself seems to have come loose. I can't tell what's going on cause none of the holes in the door skin are big enough to access anything. Any idea how to cure this?

remove the speaker... if that doesnt work...popeye... your arms are too dang big LOL

WilliamK1974
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
remove the speaker... if that doesnt work...popeye... your arms are too dang big LOL

Don't ask why I didn't think of that myself. Sometimes I'm too thick for my own good.

Inspection inside the door shows that the part with the springs on it has broken off and fallen into the bottom of the door.

Is the "door check" mentioned earlier in the thread the springs inside the door and the arm that connects to the body? If so, there's hope for repair here, though maybe not the top of the priority list.

Thank you,
-Bill

88AMCOMANCHE
04-27-2011, 08:30 AM
yeah same here ...One of those "do later" kinda things. For me...Ive sank SO much time & money into almost every section of the truck from redoing steering column to welding in a new floorpan to replacing front end to wiring & Lights to heater core etc .....yet the Only thing Ive really done engine wise is flush the cooling system. ....I kinda wish so many other things weent needed , so I could have spent more time on the drivetrain.