PDA

View Full Version : Foglight Factory Switch ?

88AMCOMANCHE
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Hello everybody.1st off....Im trying to put on Foglights & mount em to the front bumper. Planm on using the original switch & wiring but the question I have is .....On the original swicth theres 3 existing wires Top=Black ,middle is green , and the bottom wire is green with a thin black stripe.
Which wire is HOT and which one is ground?
Generally black woul dbe ground but ya never know and i dont have a test light. Anyone know which wire is which on the factory foglight swicth? thats all i need to know & i can hook mine up.:pray:

oderdene
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
light green-t - fog light relay
light green - beam select switch
black - you are correct

it is 88 XJ, but i think MJ is same

xj4life2
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
You can make a test light , solder a couple wires on a light bulb then a paper clip on the hot and an alagator clip on the ground had to do this many times , i seem to lose things alot and my kids have no idea why .....

88AMCOMANCHE
04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
light green-t - fog light relay
light green - beam select switch
black - you are correct

it is 88 XJ, but i think MJ is same
Whats the "T" mean in Light green T ? And whats a Beam select switch?

88AMCOMANCHE
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
thats quite an idea. Thanx. will keep that in mind.I may just go to the local parts store & picup a cheap tester,maybe.

oderdene
04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Whats the "T" mean in Light green T ? And whats a Beam select switch?

green - T - green wire with stripe, yours should be LT GRN/BLK ()
beam select switch - is wire going to high/low beam select switch, my fog light lights on low beam, turn OFF on high beam

found electrical manual of 88 MJ, download it here (http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf) and see page 67

88AMCOMANCHE
04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
wow,thanx for the info.That should help a lot when i go out and get started on it again,within a few days. ....As for the selct beam swicth .......My original swicth which came in the truck new im assuming,has 3 prongs or contact points that the 3 wires go to. Im assuming I will either turn them ON or OFF by the switch regardless of what my regular headlights are set on. ,thanx again ,thats just what i was looking for. very helpful.I appreciate it.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Ooops. I just posted another Foglight post. crap! sorry yall. I looked thru the forums but didnt see the previous Foglight posting, but just now did but its too late. sorry. The most resent is an updated one atleast