PDA

View Full Version : No Brakelights

bluedragon436
04-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Well I was on my way to a friends house yesterday after helping him change plugs and fuel filter on his 2002 Ranger. Once we got to his house, he informed me that all my marker lights, and blinkers work, but my brake lights never illuminated when I hit the brakes. I checked both lights and they still have good filaments and do not appear to be blown. I checked the fuse pnl in the passenger kick panel, and there aren't any fuses that are just for brake(stop) lights.. but still checked the fuses for the marker lights, and they are still good.. I am kind of confused.. I have seen online where it says to unplug the brake pedal sensor and jump the two wires, if anyone can tell me how to get the plug to come out of the sensor I'll give this a try. I can't get my head up there to see how to get it to release. Any other ides of things to look at would be greatly appreciated. Especially since this is my DD and I have to drive it 35+ miles each way to and from work for the next week..

oderdene
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
here (http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/4tes0-jeep-cherokee-sport-1998-jeep-cherokee-brake-lights.html) i found good instruction

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/drivefast1971/2011-04-03_171658_1.gif
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/drivefast1971/2011-04-03_171713_2.gif

SWITCH CIRCUIT IDENTIFICATION

Terminals 1 and 2 are for brake sensor circuit.
Terminals 5 and 6 are for the stop lamp circuit.
Terminals 3 and 4 are for the speed control circuit.

SWITCH CONTINUITY TEST

Check continuity between terminal pins 5 and 6 as follows:

Pull plunger all the way out to fully extended position.
Attach test leads to pins 5 and 6 and note ohmmeter reading.
If continuity exists, proceed to next test. Replace switch if meter indicates lack of continuity (shorted or open).

Check continuity between terminal pins 1 and 2 and pins 3 and 4 as follows:

Push switch plunger inward to fully retracted position.
Attach test leads to pins 1 and 2 and note ohmmeter reading.
If continuity exists, switch is OK. Replace switch if meter indicates lack of continuity (switch is open).

bluedragon436
04-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks... I'll give that try here shortly... after the rain stops.. I found instructions on a different site on how to remove the plug from the sensor in the first place, which was what I was getting my butt kicked with earlier...

bluedragon436
04-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Alright, well took it out and jumped the harness.. to find out the brake lights do work... so I took the switch apart and found that one of the pieces inside was broken off... so hit up Autozone to have one ordered in... yea... for no brakelights in the rain for another trip back up to the auto parts store this afternoon!!

oderdene
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
congrats for find and solve the issue

BlueXJ
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Remember that there are two different switches. One for cruise control and another for without cruise. If you do not have cruise then you can use either but if you have cruise you need that specific switch.