PDA

View Full Version : 8.25 axle upgrade

mndobondo
04-13-2011, 04:04 AM
I was thinking about up grarding to alloy axel and wanted to know if the cost was worth the difference in pricing as my research show's the 8.25 has great axel strength so what might be your thoughts or ideas.to help before I start buying parts for rebuild...

MaxxTraxx
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
What do you have in the jeep now? The 29 spline 8.25 is stronger than a 35, and pretty close to a 44, but it has limited gear/locker choices.

Mudderoy
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
What do you have in the jeep now? The 29 spline 8.25 is stronger than a 35, and pretty close to a 44, but it has limited gear/locker choices.

up to 4.88 available :link: (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-160580-chrysler-8-25-ring-pinion-4-88.html)

ARB Detroit Aussie PowerTrax and Rene's choice of lockers Weld are all available for the C8.25

jdougn
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
What size tires do you want to run and what type of wheeling do you do? In my research, the 8.25 seems strong enough unless you're going to wheel hard rock on 35"+ tires. My '98 XJ has had 33s on it for years with some fairly heavy wheeling with no problems from the rear axle.

mndobondo
04-14-2011, 02:35 AM
currently I run 31's and a detroit locker I broke a axle on achy-breaky in mojave ca a week ago (that and three ribs) and I am in the process of making repairs I installed the detroit about 9 years ago and was beating my self up over why I would put $600 plus in a 8.25 but then after checking I remembered its actually better then the D35..which is why not many axle's are made.. Its looking like funds are keeping me in the stock range I found a complete axle today all the brake parts axle backing plate lines are present and It will leave me with a spare so I am going to bring it home tomorrow.replace the parts that went missing in its trip backwards down the hill and get back on the trails...

Mudderoy
04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
currently I run 31's and a detroit locker I broke a axle on achy-breaky in mojave ca a week ago (that and three ribs) and I am in the process of making repairs I installed the detroit about 9 years ago and was beating my self up over why I would put $600 plus in a 8.25 but then after checking I remembered its actually better then the D35..which is why not many axle's are made.. Its looking like funds are keeping me in the stock range I found a complete axle today all the brake parts axle backing plate lines are present and It will leave me with a spare so I am going to bring it home tomorrow.replace the parts that went missing in its trip backwards down the hill and get back on the trails...

I hope breaking the axle and ribs weren't related. I'd love to have a Dana 44 front and rear on mine, but with 29 splines on the 8.25 I think it will be fine. Besides mine is a daily driver first and foremost. I need a bigger bank account for an off road only toy.

mndobondo
04-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Ahhh yes the ribs and axle are connected and it too is my only car I am retired have a motorcycle do my own work which saves major $$ but I do like to up grade the parts when I can found a compleat rear today should provide what I need and a spare but I am still up grading all the brake line to proper length steel braided I have been working on this jeep since 96..lol

4.3LXJ
04-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Are you going to recycle your locker? If so, if I was doing it I would check into changing the side gears in the locker to 29 spline and get those alloy axles. That would make your set up pretty much unbreakable. Just a thought.

mndobondo
04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I am keeping the detroit only using the axles the upgrade was weather to go to alloy or not but it seems like the stock 29 spline is plenty tough..

4x4Dalton
04-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Keep us posted on the upgrade on this. And if ya can pics would help alot. Later on down the road I'm thinkin of upgradin axles to something stronger myself.