PDA

View Full Version : Longarms

lowrider
04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm wanting to upgrade to a longarm kit. Mine is a straight drive so I want something that will be easy to drop the tranny out when doing a clutch. I was lookin at the one on ironrock4x4.com but it is a 3 arm kit. I need help since I don't know much about them. What are the advantages or disadvantages of the 3 arm kits.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Three link front suspension does not bind as much as the four link that comes stock during maximum articulation. So in effect, the suspension is a little freer and theoretically will be easier on the bushings. One of the things that happens with long travel suspensions is that no matter whose bushings you use, they tend to need replacement often from crushing the sleeve into the outside of the bushing. Been there, done that. So if you are planning on lots of full travel, a three link can be an advantage. If you are mostly mall crawling, it is not necessary.

ironmanandy
04-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Most guys that go long arm tend to want gobs of wheel travel for flex.... normally they want way more than needed. long arms provide this. After they achieve this and break shocks, shoot out coils on the trail or roll over in parking lots they realize that all of this wheel travel is doing them very little good. If you pay attention to the pros they themselves only run 14-16" shocks.

With that said if you head into the long arms with a practical state of mind you can end up with a kick ass suspension that works really well.

If you are looking for a cross member I really like the Claytons off road X member. The install is easy. The parts are solid and they work perfect with my long arms.... not to pimp my parts but they really do. :rolleye0012:

I have helped a lot of guys set these up on a budget and do it safely and practically. Feel free to give me a call. 704 796 3502 There are a lot of good options from several companies available.

I really encourage setting up limit straps and bump stops that work properly.

Too much travel can make you roll over when you dip into holes as well as add to excessive body roll and loose control of the vehicle.

Good luck, and whatever you do please do it safely
Andy

lowrider
04-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you to both of u for the help u both told me what I need to know. And Andy I will be given u a call when I get ready to do something and ask for your help

DeftwillP
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Iron rock is not a 3 link. Repeat: Iron rock is not a 3 link.

I'd buy Andy's arms (if I didn't already have a line on some that will work until I build my 3 link) which are on sale right now and then wait for his crossmember.

I'm sure he'll be releasing some pics and stats on that crossmember any day now...... ;)

PolarXJ
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
x2 Iron man is not a 3 link Just a y link with one of the arms not being a y