PDA

View Full Version : clutch master or slave cylinder

johnMZ24
04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
so i was driving last night and my clutch went right to the floor when i was shifting so i pulled over and there was no fluid on the ground, i looked in the reservoir and found that it was still full. and i went under behind the peddle and found i must have broke the peddle but when i put the shaft in the cylinder thingy it didn't have pressure... what one of them could have went?

LizardRunner
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
to find out which, the master or the slave, you will need to get under your rig and check to find out which one it is.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
If the master cylinder has fluid in it, then it is the master cylinder. If empty, look for a leak. A leaky slave cylinder is usually very obvious. 9 times out of 10 it is the master though.

johnMZ24
04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Yea the resivoir has fluid in it...its green tho lol but that coulda been juss my eyes last night or my flashlight. I had it towed so hopefully it won't be to much to have them install it. There's no leaks on the ground either before it got towed.

saar
04-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Hi,

My XJ has Auto, my second car (Alfa Spider) has manual shift.
When the slave stopped working there, I rebuild them both...
I think it is a good practice to build both of them.
(otherwise, you may find yourself with a similar problem soon)
Saar.

ralphy
04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree with Lizard and the others, It sounds like the fluid is bypassing the seal in the master cyl. And if your rig has any age on it the slave cyl may need attention also.