PDA

View Full Version : CPS change

ice_cold
04-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Well finally thawed the Jeep out so I could get in it.
Put the key in, starter spun like crazy, got the smell of fuel....no spark.
Checked distributor, wires plugs...etc.
Hooked the timing light up to double check for spark...nothing.
Tested the CPS...got the wrong reading...she is pooched.

So the question is...how the heck do you get at that sucker??
My first thought was cut a hole in the floor/firewall.....vetoed that idea..:)

So is there a method of doing this? I am thinking long extensions, etc. Its just, I can see it from the top, would prefer to not have to roll on the ice and water under the Jeep...but if I have to I will.

Mike

rugidone
04-09-2011, 10:30 PM
3 feet of extensions shallow socket and a universal (wobble joint)

rugidone
04-09-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoCPSchange.htm

rugidone
04-09-2011, 10:34 PM
And, luckily, it doesnt take long to change. Don't forget your safety glasses.

Mudderoy
04-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Well finally thawed the Jeep out so I could get in it.
Put the key in, starter spun like crazy, got the smell of fuel....no spark.
Checked distributor, wires plugs...etc.
Hooked the timing light up to double check for spark...nothing.
Tested the CPS...got the wrong reading...she is pooched.

So the question is...how the heck do you get at that sucker??
My first thought was cut a hole in the floor/firewall.....vetoed that idea..:)

So is there a method of doing this? I am thinking long extensions, etc. Its just, I can see it from the top, would prefer to not have to roll on the ice and water under the Jeep...but if I have to I will.

Mike

I used a 24" extension and a long extension with one of those wobbly joints to hold the socket. Hard part is putting the bolts back in!

prerunner1982
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
If you cut slots into the bracket on the new CPS you can install the bolts first and then slide the new one on. Also makes it easier the next time you have to replace the CPS as you won't have to fully remove the bolts. This may void any warranty though..

Be careful not to drop the bolts into the hole for the CPS, it will drop all the way to the bottom of your bellhousing.

bluedragon436
04-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I need to pick up a spare one of these to keep in my Jeep.. in case I have another one go out... stupidest design ever if you ask me!!

uberxj92
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
If you cut slots into the bracket on the new CPS you can install the bolts first and then slide the new one on. Also makes it easier the next time you have to replace the CPS as you won't have to fully remove the bolts. This may void any warranty though..

Be careful not to drop the bolts into the hole for the CPS, it will drop all the way to the bottom of your bellhousing.

good idea!!! it took 2 of us on 92 on 35's.lol.

Mudderoy
04-12-2011, 01:51 AM
good idea!!! it took 2 of us on 92 on 35's.lol.

Strange I did mine in under 30, maybe 15 minutes. It was very easy.

PolarXJ
04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I've also found it easier to remove the tcase side of the driveline, then you can swing the driveline out of the way.

ice_cold
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, replaced the CPS, plugs,cap ,rotor and wires. Charged up the battery.

Hit the starter, nothing, put in to neutral...started spinning...stupid NSS, next on list.
She turned over, caught, then died..and its now just turning over, no fire...guess its down to a coil or a Cam Position sensor.
Good Friday, nobodies friggin open, nutz.
Is a stock coil good enough or has anyone had better success with Accel or Mallory models?

Mike

Weldmen
04-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Is it easyer to replace the CPS if you have the Tcase drop? Should allow for better access, right? Just a thought. :confused:

ice_cold
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I ended up undoing the transmission and transfer skid plates/mounts and lowered the transmission and transfer case down about 2 inches. Gave me enough room to get my meat hooks into the tiny little space.

Gone looking for a coil...everyone has one till you get there. Oh look, we don't have one, the computer says we do. Next time go look dingle balls!!! geez...

Mudderoy
04-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Yep I have a 1" drop on my transfer case, I bet that's why it was easy to change. :rolleye0012: