PDA

View Full Version : 93 Cherokee runs about 10 miles until warm, stalls and won't crank!

JLBailey
04-08-2011, 08:37 PM
My 1993 Jeep Cherokee will crank and run fine for around 10 miles or so, after it warms up good it stalls out and wont crank until you let it cool down. Ive replaced the ignition coil, crankshaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, and plugs and wires. Has anybody ran into this problem and how do I fix it?

Mudderoy
04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
What have you done with relays? I wouldn't think a fuse would open and close but I would check them as well.

Can you check the fuel pressure when it will not run? Does it start missing or anything, or just die?

JLBailey
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Im not sure what relays to replace. I havent done anything with them and I dont have the tools to check the psi at my fuel rail.

JENSSEN
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
My 1993 Jeep Cherokee will crank and run fine for around 10 miles or so, after it warms up good it stalls out and wont crank until you let it cool down. Ive replaced the ignition coil, crankshaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, and plugs and wires. Has anybody ran into this problem and how do I fix it?

Ballast resistor

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/3fc7b823.jpg

by-pass it by connecting the two wires together and try that,..

put a test light on the pump,.. if it lights up cranking the shuts off in the run position I can pretty much guarantee that's it

:)

Mudderoy
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Ballast resistor

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/3fc7b823.jpg

by-pass it by connecting the two wires together and try that,..

THATS IT! I BETCHA!

I don't have one of those, forgot all about it.

:thanx:

JLBailey
04-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Ill try that, any more ideas?

JENSSEN
04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
JL read the chat box
or PM me and I will give you my number to assist

Tural
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Have u replaced the coil wire?

uberxj92
04-08-2011, 09:49 PM
definitely try the fuel pump resistor under the hood. & it wouldnt hurt to keep a spare costs like $7. also look at the ignition switch my 92 used to die when that got hot. also, look at your negative wire & battery connector ( on the battery). my bud has a 99 & the neg wire was weak & would just short out at temps.

bigjim350
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
definitely try the fuel pump resistor under the hood. & it wouldnt hurt to keep a spare costs like $7. also look at the ignition switch my 92 used to die when that got hot. also, look at your negative wire & battery connector ( on the battery). my bud has a 99 & the neg wire was weak & would just short out at temps.

x2 :drinking:

Firemanray
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Cat stopped up?!? I had a Nissan that ran like a top, after about 15 to 20 miles it would shut down and not restart. After it cooled off away it would go. Turned out the cat was stopped up. I "repaired" the cat and had no more troubles.

uberxj92
04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Cat stopped up?!? I had a Nissan that ran like a top, after about 15 to 20 miles it would shut down and not restart. After it cooled off away it would go. Turned out the cat was stopped up. I "repaired" the cat and had no more troubles.

LOL "repaired". love it. BTW i do not believe it was your cat thta was stopped up. i think that Eddie Murphy stuffed some banan's up your tail pipe LOL LOL . just teasing. but that does sound like a culprit for crappy runnings

JLBailey
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I have contemplated "repairing" my cat converter too, I repaired it on my chevy blazer and threw some flowmasters under the ol' girl. The Jeep might get the same treatment sometime this weekend. I bypassed the ballast resistor, but it didnt help. Ive replaced the blue plastic part of the ignition switch that goes under the dash, but not where the key goes in, do I need to replace that?

cantab27
04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
go back to cps maybe.....runs then stops,wont fire when warm but fires if you let it cool down....was cps when mates jeep had same thing....good luck dude.....

ps what cat,,,,,,mines gone....

uberxj92
04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
i do not believe that replacing the key lock on the steering column will help. check your cps & ecu