PDA

View Full Version : On board Air - As discussed in 4/6/2011 podcast.

Mudderoy
04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I mentioned on last night's podcast that I have been wanting to install an air horn for those inattentive driver's on the road. Having the ability to air up a tire or two would be great as well.

A neighbor of my parents used to have an air horn in is Ford pickup. He didn't have an air compressor installed he just had a hidden tank. This was back with service stations had a nice air compressor and the hose was hanging there right next to the gas pump. When he would fill up with fuel, he'd top off the air tank.

I do want an on board air compressor but I should be able to build my on board air in stages. Get the functionality of on board air sooner. Oh and that air horn.

The main reason I want to run the air horn off a tank and not just buy a inexpensive instant on air horn is the delay I have read about. Even though it is instant on the small built in air compressor takes a 1/2 or 1 second to pressure up. Also I want to be sure and have plenty of air pressure for my horn blowing pleasure! :D

In this picture you can see where the Viair 2.5 gallon tank was mounted on a Jeep.
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/articleImages/355/1396.jpg

The article I got this image from can be viewed here :link: (http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/listing.cfm?articleID=355)

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm going to use a scuba tank for my on board air. will hold extreme pressures and 80 cu ft of air that way. I'm planning on an aluminum tank so the weight won't get to high.

bluedragon436
04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
thought about planning in a section of my storage solution to hold a scuba tank, maybe not the larger sized ones, but a decent enough sized tank... see if I can't find one that doesn't pass their regulations anymore... or just keeping an eye on craigslist... but my OBA setup will be a build up/collection over time... not a huge hurry for me just yet.. but will def be keeping an eye out to see what all ideas come up... might have to borrow some of them... LOL..

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
yeah, scuba tanks come is several sizes 50 cu ft up to 80 cu ft. all are the same diameter it's the length that changes. I used to have plenty of tanks but got away from the ocean and that resulted in my selling all my tanks. I'm going to get a used one but I want it to pass inspection or be current cause I may go with a dual piston pump which could give me up to 300 psi if I can fit it in there.

Mudderoy
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
How would you fill a scuba tank? I mean high pressure requires a source that is capable of filling it right?

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
mostly it would be just a valve change out to a manifold setup. I'll see if I don't have some pictures of a valve. you also could do a seperate fill line by drilling and tapping since scuba tanks are meant to hold over 1700 psi, I think you would not have any saftey issues.

DeftwillP
04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
2001?

modestmar00xj
04-08-2011, 01:15 AM
cool! good article! this is what i wanted to see. i cant wait to run my OBA system.

XJ Rat
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I had a 3-1/2 gallon tank under my TJ hooked to a York F210R . It worked good, never had any problems with it.

On my XJ, I am going to try 6" diameter PVC piping behind both panels on either side of the rear storage area. With a viaair compressor. For PVC, the schedule 40 in 6" diameter is rated to 180psi. Want more, get schedule 120. The tanks rusting away will never be an issue. Blowing up, someone watches too much TV, that will not happen. Most OBA systems are 100-125psi. Put a blow off valve which pops below the tanks maximum pressure and you are good to go, should have this anyways.

One thing, use a minimum 3/8" line. 1/4" you will not get enough flow to run air tools or air up tires in any decent amount of time. In my old Jeep club I knew one guy who saved a couple bucks running 1/4" line. First time out he saw first hand his mistake. Second time out he pulled all the 1/4" line and replaced with 3/8" line. Made a BIG difference. For what we use it for, flow is what you want.

Mudderoy
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I had a 3-1/2 gallon tank under my TJ hooked to a York F210R . It worked good, never had any problems with it.

On my XJ, I am going to try 6" diameter PVC piping behind both panels on either side of the rear storage area. With a viaair compressor. For PVC, the schedule 40 in 6" diameter is rated to 180psi. Want more, get schedule 120. The tanks rusting away will never be an issue. Blowing up, someone watches too much TV, that will not happen. Most OBA systems are 100-125psi. Put a blow off valve which pops below the tanks maximum pressure and you are good to go, should have this anyways.

One thing, use a minimum 3/8" line. 1/4" you will not get enough flow to run air tools or air up tires in any decent amount of time. In my old Jeep club I knew one guy who saved a couple bucks running 1/4" line. First time out he saw first hand his mistake. Second time out he pulled all the 1/4" line and replaced with 3/8" line. Made a BIG difference. For what we use it for, flow is what you want.

Hey that's really cool information. Please take pictures and do a write up when you do this.

BTW, I was refering to the 2250 psi tank launching the XJ if punctured. :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes. I have a 4" PVC tank I made. Two things, one you have to keep them away from heat. Second, fittings need to be drilled and tapped into the double layer area of the caps.