PDA

View Full Version : GAS /BRAKE PEDAL oops

88AMCOMANCHE
04-07-2011, 12:17 AM
a guy at work has like a 98 Wrangle, real nice.....well as he was pulling up to the curb,he somehow hit the gas as he was braking . I looked at his pedals & they are kinda close together. Back home later.....as I was tooling around the yard,like i always do(no plates yet) ....I also noticed just how close my gas pedal is to my brake pedal. there Might be an inch inbetween.Just guessing. - Ive caught myself dragging the edge of the brake pedal a few times, but I blamed my big stupid work boots for it. .....But I wanted to ask yall what yall thought. - Are the pedals slightly too close to each other? is there a "quik fix" solution to the problem? or it is what it is & I have to be Xtra carful. Id like to somehow someway make some modification just to gain a hal;f inch inbetween to the pedals.

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
It isn't hard but it does require taking the pedals out so you can do a heat and bend of the pedal arms, below the pivot points. you can get a whole inch by doing that mod. without having to add any metal.

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
forgot to mention that it will raise the brake pedal a tad, unless you want to cut and lengthen the arm after the bends are made.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I would Love to do that. But dont have the equiptment to do that kind of heating. I noticed that my carpet slightly bows out from the center hump next to the pedal by about 3/4" ......Would driving one small short machine screw w/washer into the carpet,drawing it close to the hump,allowing me a bit more space ...be a bad idea? It would work. 1 scheetmetal screw .......but i think it would look tacky kinda.

LizardRunner
04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
that would work but you could also just reglue the carpet down with no holes required. I've bent pedal arms with just a propane torch as the heat source, takes a little longer than my rosebud and oxy/acet rig but it does work and you can do it without a vice. I have used vice grips and a 12" crecent to do the bending job.

hookedonxjs
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
You could practice your rallycross driving skills and learn to use them at the same time. The technique also works very well while turning in sand.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
well.........Removing the entire pedal got me shaking. Been doing projects on that truck for a full year now & the last few months Ive just gotten my belly full for taking on big projects because everything i take on doing wether it be heater core replace, or small rust hole, or whatever it might be seems tpo snoball into a much bigger project seems like. I just may have to check into seeing what removing the pedal entails

LizardRunner
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
usually there is only one bolt to remove. If I have some time this weekend I'll take some pictures of the assembly and post a how too for you.

88AMCOMANCHE
04-09-2011, 08:17 AM
ok, cool