PDA

View Full Version : soft brake pedal

Brass monkey
04-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Hi all, I took the jeep for a warrent of fitness, but failed due to the brake pedal being too soft. I bled the lines and got the pedal good and firm but as soon as the motor was started the pedal went pretty much to the floor though the brakes work ok, but the pedal is about 3/4 to the floor to get good braking. Is this normal or still too much travel?

cantab27
04-03-2011, 02:28 AM
hey cliff hows things mate....bring it around home will have a look at it for ya ,,,,if ya cant drive it ill come to you ,,pm me ya number .....enjoying the quakes.....

cheers wayne ...021756210

4.3LXJ
04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Cliff

I would look into replacing that master cylinder. If it is working sometimes and not others, then that is usually the culprit. I don't know about Kiwi parts, but here in the States I have had problems with using master cylinders from NAPA

Brass monkey
04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
ok, i will have a play with it today and see if i can get any results, if i get stuck i will give you a call wayne. The brakes still work ok just soft pedal.

uberxj92
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
if your master cylinder is bad ( which is an easy repair) you should be able to here a hiss when you press the brakes

xjrev10
04-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Are there any other issues that cause a soft pedal or lots of travel in the pedal even after the brakes are bled? Both of my MJs are bad. One has all new brake lines (professionally installed) and it still has IMO too much travel.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
If you have rubber brake lines that are going soft, then that will absorb a little travel. Also, rear brakes that are not adjusted tight

prerunner1982
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but how did you bleed it?

I use to have someone pump and hold the brakes while I opened the valve.

Now I can bleed them by myself with better results. I connect a hose to the bleeder screw, put it in a cup of clean brake fluid, open the valve and slowly pump the brakes 5 or 6 times. Make sure you keep the reservoir topped off. Start at the brake furthest from the master cylinder (rear passenger side), the go rear driver side, front passenger side, and then front driver side. Close the bleeder valve/screw with the hose still attached.

If I only did the front brakes I can usually get away with just bleeding the front brakes.

xjrev10
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I didn't do it. A local shop that I use for repairs in the wintertime did the new lines. Pedal soft. My other MJ, pedal soft since I got it. I'm going to check on the rubber brakeline.

xj4life2
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Brake lines , bad master cyl, leaking calipers , leaking wheel cyl , bad power booster or check valve in booster lastly bad proportioning valve all can cuase this issue

Brass monkey
04-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I bled the brakes again myself, by putting the end of the tube in brake fluid and got some improvement, enough to satisfy the inspector. The pedal still a bit soft but satisfactory. I will check the hoses etc but all good for now, cheers guys

cantab27
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
good shit,,,when do ya want to go for a run.....dont need brakes up the river.....all this rain Ashely be good

Brass monkey
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds good, havnt been out in a while. Got a couple of mates who are keen also. I only have sundays free at the moment if that suits, i will get in touch soon.