PDA

View Full Version : 92 XJ Massachusetts owner!

vwfoolwhy
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Hows everyone doing my name is Mike and I'm XJaholic.

I own a 92 Sport 4.0-ax15-231 this is jeep 12 out of 13 I've owned, and hopefully I'll keep it for a long time.

I purchased it 4 years ago as a one owner non running for $300.00. It was a southern vehicle and very well taken care of for it's 300+k Miles. No Rust at all not even surface.

After One year I installed a RC 3" ad a leaf kit I p/u local off of CL for $150.00 never installed including the shocks. As well as a nearly new set of 31" General ATs on stock steals for $100.00.

This combination was great for the last 3 years but the stock control arms causing the front geometry killed the ball Joints waring the front tires.

So this year I decided to put some money into the XJ and purchased:
RC 4.5" Long Arm complete Spring Kit.$1,500.00 w/rear shackles (mine are toasted)

SYE w/Rear CV. DS $350.00

15x8 Jeep TJ canyon Wheels with decent 30" tires $200.00

4 Ball Joints $40.00 shipped

Spicier Front shaft joints $23.00 shipped

so the plan this year is suspension and Interior up grades (remove rug bed line the floor) then spring of next year a set of D44's built to the gill.

I have a VW 1.9TDI that's ready to go in but I'm waiting until the 4.0 finally dies. I'm at 350K on the stock head gasket and no other major repairs The biggest to the motor was timing chain at 280K

bluedragon436
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!! Post up some pics of your xj, when you get a chance!!

cantab27
03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
cool ,,will be good to watch this build,,,few on here have mentioned diesel repowers...should have a few watching this thread,,,,,and welcome to xjtalk mate

vwfoolwhy
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I'll be writing up a build on it. Especially since I'll be running the AX-15 and the 231 in stock location.

The best thing is with less then $150.00 in simple mods to the TDI should be at 250+ HP with 300+ torque

I've had the engine Ready to go in for over a year so hopefully some day I'll get it in the XJ but I want the XJ built the way I want it first. Then the TDI will be the icing on the cake.

bluedragon436
03-29-2011, 11:55 PM
So I had been thinking about the TDI swap in my XJ for a bit... but after reading you thinking about or working on doing it I started researching cause I remember a shop talking about making a kit... there is a shop that has put out a kit for the YJ, TJ & JK, and is currently thinking about doing a kit for the XJ.. there is a link on this page (http://www.hpamotorsport.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm) for people to click on and show their appreciation of such a kit.. please click and get this kit R&D rolling!! The link is about a third of the way down going full width across the page...

modestmar00xj
03-30-2011, 05:31 AM
nice xj man sounds like you put some work into it!

vwfoolwhy
03-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I followed HPA during that whole build. My set up is much the same but my engine to trans adaptor is only 3/8" as well as the flywheel spacer. unlike there 1 1/2"+. My Flywheel is machined with the VW non symmetrical crank bolt pattern just like there's.

The best thing to do is check out the many TDI Forums and see what every one else is doing in there non VW TDI Swaps.

One of the biggest decisions is either to run the mechanical inj. or electronic. I chose Electronic and had the ECU programed and built my wiring harness.

Now many places sell an "ECU Program & Harness Package"

I've had the engine and trans running on the ground but never in an XJ.

They felt they needed the 1 1/2+ adapter plate to clarence the back of the head from the fire wall on there YJ. On our XJ's I don't see any problems.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
This will be interesting to watch while you do it.