PDA

View Full Version : LED Off road lights

Mudderoy
03-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Would you be interested in LED off road lighting? As in rock crawling style lights? Incandescent lights get hot, lenses crack from water/mud/rocks, and use a lot of electricity. If you could get enough light to see the ground clearly using LEDs for a decent price would you be interested?

bigjim350
03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I would use em alot, if I had them. But I would only want clear lights, any of the colored ones dont light things up enough to be usable.

Mudderoy
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I would use em alot, if I had them. But I would only want clear lights, any of the colored ones dont light things up enough to be usable.

White LEDs is what I had in mind.

4x4Dalton
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah I would be interested.:driving:

DirtBound Offroad
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I am looking to get a 20" Rigid bar on front and 4 2x2 for floods on the sides.

Look on youtube for the rigid light videos it is amazing how much output they have.

DETOURS
03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Once covered in mud...................well. :pee:

Mudderoy
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Once covered in mud...................well. :pee:

I thought they were mainly used for rock crawling...

bluedragon436
03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Trails and rock crawling are what they are usually used for.. but if you hit mud on said trails,or on other off roading adventures, then they'll get covered by mud... depending on pricing might be interested..

rguignard
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
maybe what do you have in mind tony ?

Mudderoy
03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
maybe what do you have in mind tony ?

We have a new vendor http://www.BlueWaterLED.com/ and I was talking to them about putting together an off road "rock crawling" LED light package. I was just seeing how much interest there would be in it.

DeftwillP
03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Depends on pricing.....

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

rguignard
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Depends on pricing.....

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

im with him on this one but green would be nice :shocker:

Mudderoy
03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Well I'm thinking as long as it is affordable it would be worth it to some people. $2000 for rock crawling lights, ahhhh no.

rguignard
03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Well I'm thinking as long as it is affordable it would be worth it to some people. $2000 for rock crawling lights, ahhhh no.

hell tony $2000 for a xj noooooo :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
03-30-2011, 10:22 AM
hell tony $2000 for a xj noooooo :smiley-laughing021:

Well you know some companys have the LED light bars that you can mount on the roof of your Jeep, and they cost $2k

rguignard
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
i guess that would make my jeep worth about $2001.00 lol

hookedonxjs
03-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey Tony there is a place south of here in san diego county that was the original co. that made lighting kits for dirt bikes to turn them into street legal dual sport bikes named baja designs that now is producing led off road lights that are very trick looking. As all led's there not cheap but my brother sells welding supplies to several shops that build 100k dollar sand rail's and he also grew up with the guy that started fabtech. For fun helps his friends pit at the baja 500 and 1000 and they all say that baja design's are the best leds out now.

Mudderoy
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey Tony there is a place south of here in san diego county that was the original co. that made lighting kits for dirt bikes to turn them into street legal dual sport bikes named baja designs that now is producing led off road lights that are very trick looking. As all led's there not cheap but my brother sells welding supplies to several shops that build 100k dollar sand rail's and he also grew up with the guy that started fabtech. For fun helps his friends pit at the baja 500 and 1000 and they all say that baja design's are the best leds out now.

Well the real point of my thread was to help out a new vendor www.bluewaterLED.com get an idea of the interest in LED off road lighting. I bought 4 red LEDs for my Jeep for $20, I'm thinking with a little bit of testing they may be able to offer a very bright LED cluster for maybe $40 a light source. So instead of having cheap, or expensive, incandescent lights that get hot, use a lot of electricity and crack when water hits them, or break with rocks, and LED cluster would probably outlast the rig and you could have them on with engine off.

I just haven't wanted to do the trial and error to see how many need to be put in one spot to have enough light.

I'm guessing that for $160 you could have a set of white LED rock crawling lights!

hookedonxjs
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Are you friends with bluewater? Why not just tape led flashlights to your rig? Or change the site to bass boat talk. I saw the stuff and baja designs is a million times better and really made for offroading and torture tested in some of the most extreme terrain on earth.

Mudderoy
04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Are you friends with bluewater? (removed due to content)

Friends? No, I just tried their product and it was just as good as the $35 LED that I bought from Roundeyes.com. I contacted them about being a vendor on xjtalk, and they joined.

So the only reason I liked them to start with was they have a very good product for 1/15th the price of a competitor.

prerunner1982
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I had never heard of them until the link was posted in the thread the other day. I looked at their stuff and it looks good. I obviously don't need them since I am stock and don't (can't) rock crawl... However, if I did I would be interested.

prerunner1982
04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't how many lights were used here, but that seems to be some pretty decent light output, would be even more so if it was white.

http://www.bluewaterled.com/images/samples/large96.jpg

Mudderoy
04-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Are you friends with bluewater? Why not just tape led flashlights to your rig? Or change the site to bass boat talk. I saw the stuff and baja designs is a million times better and really made for offroading and torture tested in some of the most extreme terrain on earth.

I'll reply again, to the full original text.

Friends no, a fan, yes!

I've only seen a few examples of LED off road lights and they weren't anything that I could come close to affording. Even the one's that I could afford were very pricey.

From the stand point of using LED flashlights, well hell yeah why not? I look at that no differently that a guy finding some scrap steel and building a bumper, or sliders. You find something that "might" work, think about it and try it.

Checking BajaDesigns.com...

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/images/items/Thumbnail/620200.jpg
$449.95 :bang:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/images/items/large/620276.jpg
$1,399.00 :out:

HOLY shit! :bogroll: :stars:

I might like to have this option but ahhhh yeah, I'll take the bass boat option right now...

http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic26.jpg
$18.99 (thats for two) from www.bluewaterled.com

I could buy 147 of these for $1399. My Jeep would look like it was ON FIRE! :smiley-laughing021:

BTW it's great when people share differing opinions on things as it gives everyone a chance to learn something. Like for example I may have missed something on bajadesigns.com that hookedonxjs was referring to.

hookedonxjs
04-03-2011, 10:30 AM
In less than 1 minute I found ledlights.com They have bulbs, strips, inverters the works. Not to mention about a dozen other sites.

Punisher
04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't how many lights were used here, but that seems to be some pretty decent light output, would be even more so if it was white.

http://www.bluewaterled.com/images/samples/large96.jpg

I agree what your saying with this photo... I know there are some LED lights that are weak and bright but its depends on the photo too as I'm a photography for my hobby if you take a normal photos of lights on a car it looks dims to a point but if you slow dow the shutter speed on the camera the lights get brighter and brighter from the shutter speed of the camera...
So with my experiences dont count on the photo for light brightness... its not always as bright as you think it is...

Mudderoy
04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
In less than 1 minute I found ledlights.com They have bulbs, strips, inverters the works. Not to mention about a dozen other sites.

I only have experience with http://www.roundeyes.com/ and http://www.bluewaterled.com/ I know what the light output and how these are made.

I'm not understanding what your argument is here, other than spend a wad of money or just shut up about it.

Am I correct that all the BajaDesigns.com lights are so expensive? Do you own any of these? Do you have and LED lights on your rig? I'm just not following why this is such a big deal to you.

hookedonxjs
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello hell no! I stupid but not that stupid I'm fine with my IPFs and autopals I'm not a big fan yet of leds and floresents maybe I'm old school and I still associate leds with the fast and furious. But I still have seen the baja designs up close and working and they are in my own opinion that they are "real" off road lights and the likes of pro desert racers and the baja design dual sport kit I put on my 91 540 ktm was the s$^& and I can say that they are "real" manufactures and have been around since the 80's and are industry leaders.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic26.jpg
$18.99 (thats for two) from www.bluewaterled.com

I could buy 147 of these for $1399. My Jeep would look like it was ON FIRE! :smiley-laughing021:

BTW it's great when people share differing opinions on things as it gives everyone a chance to learn something. Like for example I may have missed something on bajadesigns.com that hookedonxjs was referring to.

Tony, I was having a thought, dangerous I know.:D But one of the things we as XJ owners all really need is a decent back up light. I was looking at these on the web site and did not see dimensions. I was wondering if something like this could be made to fit cleanly into the stock back up light pod and give a good back up light. Worth a thought anyway.

prerunner1982
04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Tony, I was having a thought, dangerous I know.:D But one of the things we as XJ owners all really need is a decent back up light. I was looking at these on the web site and did not see dimensions. I was wondering if something like this could be made to fit cleanly into the stock back up light pod and give a good back up light. Worth a thought anyway.

I had thought the same thing last night.... I don't know if it would give enough distance though.

prerunner1982
04-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Dude... what do you have against BlueWaterLED?

And so what if these were specifically designed for off roading, not like this is the first time in history that something has been used for off roading that was not intended to be used that way..

Take the winch on the front of your rig... or the winch that you want on your rig. Do you think the first one was specifically designed for off roading? Doubt it.. it was most likely borrowed from another application.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I had thought the same thing last night.... I don't know if it would give enough distance though.

I don't know either. But the lens on the backup light acts as a diffuser anyway. If you wanted a focused beam, it would have to be something else.

KH96XJ
04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I'ld be interested in a set if the price was low enough. Otherwise when I'm ready I would just piece meal them together.

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 11:30 AM
This my point we champion any one that makes their own bumpers, rails and suspension components. How ever when I found the same leds at ledlights.com for half the money than BWleds All the sudden I'm the antichrist. All the products are generic, it's not like it's even propriotary products just generics. From now on if I know of any other ways to save members money I'll just keep my mouth shut. But comparing BWLEDS to baja designs is like comparing a 8th scale rc rock crawler to a full scale crawler.

Mudderoy
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
This my point we champion any one that makes their own bumpers, rails and suspension components. How ever when I found the same leds at ledlights.com for half the money than BWleds All the sudden I'm the antichrist. All the products are generic, it's not like it's even propriotary products just generics. From now on if I know of any other ways to save members money I'll just keep my mouth shut. But comparing BWLEDS to baja designs is like comparing a 8th scale rc rock crawler to a full scale crawler.

In my opinion, your original message was hostile and demeaning to the vendor and myself.

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't follow payless sells lifts but if a guy has bastardized lift their heros. I'm sure that some of suspension parts are generic and beleive me I tried to reverse engineer the lift kits but they are for the most part propritary to what ever model they are made for. All I was trying to point out that jeep owners are resourceful and being a jeep owner I found identical leds for half the money in less than 1 minute.

Mudderoy
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't follow payless sells lifts but if a guy has bastardized lift their heros. I'm sure that some of suspension parts are generic and beleive me I tried to reverse engineer the lift kits but they are for the most part propritary to what ever model they are made for. All I was trying to point out that jeep owners are resourceful and being a jeep owner I found identical leds for half the money in less than 1 minute.

...I found identical leds for half the money in less than 1 minute.

You don't see a problem with this statement?

It indicates you are smarter and/or more resourceful and you provide no evidence that the LEDs are identical.

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm a libertarian and sites like this are a wealth of knowledge and are in the true spirit of the pursuit of happiness and liberty. It's in the best interest of freedom not to censor or manipulate the feedom of speech or the flow of Ideas. My own business was a victim of the free market place. I did not try to write my senetor or representives to gain unfair or preferential treatment I manned up and went on my way to another path of least resistance. Please PM if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks to all that have shared ideas and money saving tips.
Brian

bigjim350
04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm a libertarian and sites like this are a wealth of knowledge and are in the true spirit of the pursuit of happiness and liberty. It's in the best interest of freedom not to censor or manipulate the feedom of speech or the flow of Ideas. My own business was a victim of the free market place. I did not try to write my senetor or representives to gain unfair or preferential treatment I manned up and went on my way to another path of least resistance. Please PM if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks to all that have shared ideas and money saving tips.
Brian

When your buisness fell "victim to the free market place" was it because people were bashing your product with out compairing them? Cause that seems to be what your doing to a new vendor that just hopes to make a profit in the free market place. Now if you had personal bad experiances with them I could understand that, but as far as I can tell this is not the case.

xj4life2
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Since my companys name was mentioned in a previous post , I will chime in. Yes we sell lift kits and I encourage everyone to check for the best price they can get. If I can beat I will if not I will tell you so and several people on here can attest to that fact. As for someone who wants to "bastardize" thier lift I encourage it, by doing so you learn more about your rig and what it can do.I will also say that I welcome any and all vendors on this site and encourage vendors to join all the time and I would encourage you to ask them "baja designs " to become a vendor on this site if you feel that strongly about thier product. Thanks to Bluewater for joining and makeing thier product available to us !!!
Mark

prerunner1982
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
How ever when I found the same leds at ledlights.com for half the money than BWleds All the sudden I'm the antichrist.

It wasn't until an hour ago that you said you found any for a lesser price, it seemed more aimed at bashing the vendor. One of your original post quoted below just makes mention that with a quick search you found other companies that sell LEDs. Great.. but as of currently they aren't vendors here. Nobody is requiring you to purchase anything from BlueWaterLED or requiring that you do so to be a part of this site. We all like better deals but your previous posts don't really indicate that you were trying to tell everyone about better deals and this thread really isn't the place to do that.

If you weren't interested in a potential kit from this vendor then don't post, create you own advising of the different kits you have found....in case anyone was interested.

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
If that is true than why the heck don't you go after people who post about bastard spring packs, home made rock rails or anything that a sponsor sells? This is a forum to let the free flow of ideas pass between freedom loving people who just happen to like the XJs and I would expect the same regaurdless from everybody that frequents this site or I would have seen straight through it and not even have made any effort to enlighten it's guests or members that I have knowledge or an opinion in any respect to have anything pertaining to XJs. I have owned 4 xjs and 2 cjs, I bought the first one the year they came out 1984 because the ex had a hard time puttin the kid in the back seat of the cj and I do own a chiltons xj manuel. I visit this site to learn about ways to save money and opinions of products I'm intrested in. So in my own personal opinion don't shoot the messenger I'm just some guy that hates bad deals and shotty products so damn me for taking any advice that was instumental in helping me make any decision about any purchases from any vendor that has or will ever sponsor this site. Last time I checked were still the land of the free.

LizardRunner
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
It's great that we have blue water as a vendor, good stuff.

I've been around the led circuit for about 10 years now, I have blown out "off road" (way to expensive for the time they lasted, but they were not Baja designs) led's just as I have spent good money on crap leds that blew in just a few hours of use.

Not many that aren't in "jeep speed" mode or are into desert racing could really afford the Baja designs products. Sponsors, pay for the items found on most desert racers so for them, sure, go with the best you can find, you aren't going to have a chance to win if you don't.

I've been looking hard at blue water ever since I found out about them. I plan to buy a light kit for my boat, some lights for my bike trailer and RV along with some I'll use on da lizard. While I'd love to have some BD lights on da lizard, they are out of my non- sponsored status pocket book.

The 4 led light that bw designed to use inside a live well would have to be very stout. We (yes I'm also one of those guys) BASS'ers tend to do 70-80 mph on the water, waves will beat a boat to death as well as toss anything not tied down out into the brink. Lights that will hold up to that sort of abuse, should hold up on any, mudding, trailing or rock crawling. Once I get mine and have them mounted, I'll post a report. I'm thinking two of the 4 light units per wheel for rock lights, probably two inside so I can see what I'm looking for after dark, one or two for backing up and one or two under the hood. I'll even measure the lumines the units put out so everyone can have a scientific measurement to go by.

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I thought that ledlights .com was self explainatory.

Mudderoy
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
If that is true than why the heck don't you go after people who post about bastard spring packs, home made rock rails or anything that a sponsor sells? This is a forum to let the free flow of ideas pass between freedom loving people who just happen to like the XJs and I would expect the same regaurdless from everybody that frequents this site or I would have seen straight through it and not even have made any effort to enlighten it's guests or members that I have knowledge or an opinion in any respect to have anything pertaining to XJs. I have owned 4 xjs and 2 cjs, I bought the first one the year they came out 1984 because the ex had a hard time puttin the kid in the back seat of the cj and I do own a chiltons xj manuel. I visit this site to learn about ways to save money and opinions of products I'm intrested in. So in my own personal opinion don't shoot the messenger I'm just some guy that hates bad deals and shotty products so damn me for taking any advice that was instumental in helping me make any decision about any purchases from any vendor that has or will ever sponsor this site. Last time I checked were still the land of the free.

What we have here is a failure to communicate... :rotfl2:

That free speech you are talking about, I thought we were doing. You're original post was put back so we could discuss what you said and better understand your meaning. After several days and posts I'm no closer to understanding it. I have clearly said I thought your original post was written in a way to upset/insult/disrespect myself and the vendor. I may have missed your response but I didn't see where you tried to correct my understanding, so I am left with that was your intent.

Other than that one point of contention I think WE are all saying the same thing, yet we are still arguing.

I LIKE the idea of people coming up with their own and less expensive options. But that is what I am promoting with the LED from bluewaterLED over say the $500 LED lights you were talking about. To me that is the same thing as building your own bumpers, sliders, etc...

I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere in my understanding of your point, and I'm not able to get my point across to you. So I'm kind of at a loss.

I'm glad you find the site helpful and hopefully we can just put this mis-understanding behind us and start new on the next post we both choose to comment on. :sign0181:

steph74
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
As a true believer in the bastard pack lol I would say that a couple of candles will do the trick.... just melt the wax and stick the candle you can put the in every direction and every where.... Maybe I am going to start my own company I think i have something there...

More seriously (or not)... even in a court of law, you cannot assume things just to get to your point. Sooooo unless you are a deceived user, your opinion is not valid...

I buy my tools from Walmart because they are cheaper,
I get as many part as I can from a junk yard because they are cheaper,
I learn from the forum because it is cheaper than 1/going to school for that and 2/paying a mechanic

I look at our vendors websites and products and even if I am happy that they join the forum, I know that I will not buy their products in the near future.... but one day, I will be aware of all the novelty and options that are offered to me and in this particular case, why not getting products from a boat lighting specialist.... I see a lot of site with mods that are using marine products...

Some of our members here are using marine grease too if I am correct....

anyway....

in a rock crawling situation, I am thinking that the advantage of the LED reside in the flatness of the display... if you are going to put them in your wheel wells maybe the flatter the better....

So go for it ;0

xj4life2
04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I use marine grease daily here and have a boat deck plate in the hood for ventalation :)

hookedonxjs
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
No just simple economics. Just like red box was to blockbuster. You just gotta roll with the changes or be rolled over.

steph74
04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
yeah and generics are robbing pharmaceutical companies from their profits not allowing them to develop research on new products....

Welcome in a world of free speech and free market....

4.3LXJ
04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
As I read this, I think there needs to be a small discussion made on the goals of this site. When Tony started this site, he not only wanted to have information dispersal on XJs, he wanted a site that was friendly where anyone could ask a question and not be treated as a dummy or illiterate noob. When there are posts that are defamatory then that is stepping outside the parameters of the intent of the site. When welcoming a new vendor, we as staff and the members all support the post because we all might want to purchase their product in the short or long term. Also, the small revenue will go to enhance the site since Tony has demonstrated time and again he is not in it for the money. That does not mean we have to purchase anything from them. But it does mean two things. We will treat them with common courtesy and we will vote with our dollars. If the prices or products are not right, then lacking business they will probably move on quietly and that is the end of it. The free exchange of information is what this site is all about, but it needs to be done in a manner that those who are on the receiving end are comfortable.

xj4life2
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Eloquently put Steve , I agree !!

Mudderoy
04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
As I read this, I think there needs to be a small discussion made on the goals of this site. When Tony started this site, he not only wanted to have information dispersal on XJs, he wanted a site that was friendly where anyone could ask a question and not be treated as a dummy or illiterate noob. When there are posts that are defamatory then that is stepping outside the parameters of the intent of the site. When welcoming a new vendor, we as staff and the members all support the post because we all might want to purchase their product in the short or long term. Also, the small revenue will go to enhance the site since Tony has demonstrated time and again he is not in it for the money. That does not mean we have to purchase anything from them. But it does mean two things. We will treat them with common courtesy and we will vote with our dollars. If the prices or products are not right, then lacking business they will probably move on quietly and that is the end of it. The free exchange of information is what this site is all about, but it needs to be done in a manner that those who are on the receiving end are comfortable.

For you RULES people we don't go out of our way to dictate to you what you can and can't do. I think that is just a bad first impression and may give you the idea that this board is all about controlling you, it isn't.

We prefer to let you screw up and then privately tell you the problem, when possible. I think everyone likes to be respected and all we ask is that everyone just respect everyone else. When you don't then we'll try to get you to correct the problem and/or we'll reformat your message so that the point of the message is there, but without the disrespect.

My first choice is for you to correct it once you've been made aware of the problem. Of course said "problem" is only our opinion and there will be times when opinions will not agree. We understand that and that is when we have to make hard decisions like modifying the posts.

Thank you to ALL the 99.9% of you that either are respectful right out of the box, or have changed you're approach on this site to be a respectful one.

I know many of you have been abused on other forums, and you might feel that you have to hit hard on your first post, or you'll be flamed just because you are perceived to be weak. Very very sad, but understandable from what I have seen on other sites.