PDA

View Full Version : What Battery Do You Prefer for Your XJ?

XJ408
03-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Whats a really good battery does everybody prefer???
I have Interstate right now and it seems to me its time for a new one....I was thinking in align with Optima but heard too many disagreements about those batteries.....Any other options out there??? I'll be running a lot of accessories in the future...:confused:

bluedragon436
03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I have owned two different Optimas in different vehicles, and have not had any issues with either of them... I had a Yellow top in my Cougar with a pretty decent system in it, and had a red top in my wife's Tiburon with a pretty extensive system in it, and never had any issues with either of them... Not to mention we use Optima batteries in all of our equipment with the military... so they can't be too shabby!! I am planning on picking one up for the XJ as soon as my current battery starts to act up, or I have the extra money which ever occurs first..

XJ408
03-29-2011, 12:37 AM
yea my interstate is acting a little funny rite now thats why im shopping around....

4.3LXJ
03-29-2011, 12:49 AM
The thing about Optimas is that if you discharge them, you cannot leave them that way. Just make sure you charge them as soon as possible.

XJ Rat
03-29-2011, 06:35 AM
I ran a Wal-Mart 1000cca battery in my TJ, then put it in my XJ. It lasted for 7 years. Now I run an Autozone 850cca battery in my XJ, as the Wal-mart battery was discontinued.

My TJ had auxilliary lights and a winch that got used. In addition, my grandson turned on the offroad lights and it totally killed the battery (This episode taught me to always run an ignition switched power line to any accessory). Recharged the battery, then it worked good for another 5 years.

I have bought the largest cca battery that would fit in my tray. That has worked for me.

Before you go bashing non-brand name batteries, check to see who made it. I am not one to spend an extra $100.00 for a name.

rguignard
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
i run a red top in my jeep that i got used from work its like 3 yrs old and works great but before that i only ran Interstates in all my trucks and cars but i get shop cost on them ! the thing with Optimas are they ether live forever or die real quick but its because the charging system in the car over chargers them and they dont like that lol kills them quick

modestmar00xj
03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
im running a optima red top in my xj with 4 lights for a year and everything been great! i would recommend one!

afbond03
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I am with XJ Rat. I run a Wally World battery as well. Found the highest CCA that would fit. It runs my 8 lights and winch just fine with no issues.

LizardRunner
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I run duralast batteries in all my vehicles; van, jeep, bike, boat (2). They usually last me at least 2 years past the date they are supposed to expire. the boat has one starting battery and one deep cycle, all my batteries are the highest cca I can fit. I've used most every brand out there over the years and really haven't seen much difference in brands as long as I maintain them correctly.

gary63
03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
if you find more than 1 battery with the same cca and the price and warrenty
then go with old school (weight) the heavest it usealy the best .

JAG
04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I too have heard both ways about the new optima's sayin that they outsourced more due to demand, but I don't know for sure. I have been looking for a deep cylcle like it and i have heard good things about these guys, almost the same principle... little pricey.

www.odysseybatteries.com/

BlueXJ
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I use the AutoZone battery in my XJ. I have tried the gel batteries in my Miata and they usually last about 3 years then they die. I have not tried the Optimas due to their high cost but will probably do so when I convert to dual batteries because they will have to lay on their side.

panama red
04-03-2011, 01:59 AM
I just bought a red top last week for mine, haven't been able to use it much yet.

XJ408
04-04-2011, 01:39 AM
one of my buddies was talking about the exide orbital batteries and i looked them up found something at http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/exide_orbital/ and found the orbital out performs the optima.....

Tural
04-04-2011, 03:18 PM
The thing about Optimas is that if you discharge them, you cannot leave them that way. Just make sure you charge them as soon as possible.

ain't that the truth... i ran a yellow top in my accord for about a year, then i sold the accord and the optima sat for about 4 years. now i just use it as a capacitor in my green XJ, because that's about how long it can hold a charge. it can't even get the starter to make a motion.

xjpirate
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
does anyone else run a battery-tender???? best $40 i ever spent! if the xj is gonna sit for a week it tests and trickle charges on it's own as needed

PolarXJ
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Optima red top for me, its seen some tough times and still kepts on ticking.

jdougn
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I run the red top optima in my XJ just in case I flip. I'd rather not have battery acid spilling all over. In my Chevy work van I run whatever battery is cheap!

jccatt
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
does anyone else run a battery-tender???? best $40 i ever spent! if the xj is gonna sit for a week it tests and trickle charges on it's own as needed
I use one for my camping battery. Its always connected and is still good after 4 years. Mine is a charger and conditioner, but cost way more than $40

may pop
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
8+ year old red top in my sons XJ.

Metlic53
05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
i've got a red optima in the white jeep and an everstart in the purple jeep. The optima is 7 years old and i think its about to die. the everstart is 4 years old and is still ticking good. Not sure which battery i'll buy next, was thinkin optima but may go with the exide orbital and try it out.

farmjeep
05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Whatever fits thats 1000cca and runs a plow! Gold series right now with aftermarket gold plated terminals and screw in adpater terminals for acc.