PDA

View Full Version : Charging problems

White hawk
03-19-2011, 09:48 PM
I have a 86 jeep xj 2.5 no a/c. The problem is that the alt. Won't charge my battery. Had the alt. Tested and it tested good. So I replaced the starter relay. Still won't charge. The cables are connected.
From batt. + to + post starter relay.
Batt. - to engine block.
Alt. Post to batt. + post.
Than #2 alt. To the post on the alt.
Batt. + to starter.

So is their a way I can eliminate the fusible links with fuses instead? If so where can I find the size of the fusible link? If not how can I test the fusible links.

Any help would greatly much appreciated. Gott a get this figured out by tomorrow night. So I can have helga to go to class Monday.

Mudderoy
03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a 86 jeep xj 2.5 no a/c. The problem is that the alt. Won't charge my battery. Had the alt. Tested and it tested good. So I replaced the starter relay. Still won't charge. The cables are connected.
From batt. + to + post starter relay.
Batt. - to engine block.
Alt. Post to batt. + post.
Than #2 alt. To the post on the alt.
Batt. + to starter.

So is their a way I can eliminate the fusible links with fuses instead? If so where can I find the size of the fusible link? If not how can I test the fusible links.

Any help would greatly much appreciated. Gott a get this figured out by tomorrow night. So I can have helga to go to class Monday.

Recently my 12+ year old factory alternator went out on me, or so I thought. I took it out and then went up to O'Reilys to get a replacement. I wanted be sure the problem was with the alternator so they tested it. It was good. I had them test it again, again, again and again. 9 times total. Eventually I just made the command decision that a 12+ year old alternator had long paid for itself, and I wasn't going to waste my time re-installing the old one. So I bought the new one. I went home, installed it and fixed my problem. The alternator was BAD! :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
03-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Here is what I did to get rid of fusible links. This is on a Chevy motor, but this same thing will work well for any Xj. Take your power off the large post of the starter relay. These are circuit breakers. If they trip, they will reset and not strand you

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4933&highlight=electrical

saar
03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand teh connection to the starter relay.
Why did you decide that it is a bad alternator?
What is the problem that you see?
Saar.

White hawk
03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Forgot the alt. Is 3 weeks old. Bought it new but there is always a bad one in a batch.

White hawk
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Here is what I did to get rid of fusible links. This is on a Chevy motor, but this same thing will work well for any Xj. Take your power off the large post of the starter relay. These are circuit breakers. If they trip, they will reset and not strand you

Thanks for that link. I will do that ASAP. what size of breakers did you use?

4.3LXJ
03-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for that link. I will do that ASAP. what size of breakers did you use?

You use 30A for the red links and 20A for the yellow

White hawk
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM

You use 30A for the red links and 20A for the yellow

Thanks. I wonder if I should just replace the volt reg. In the alt. Or just replace the alt.with a new one.

4x4Dalton
03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks. I wonder if I should just replace the volt reg. In the alt. Or just replace the alt.with a new one.

I myself would do like Tony and go with new alt.

White hawk
03-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Ok I just put in a new alt. And smelt something like burning tested the batt with a dmm it was 12 with out running when running didn't change. Tested the charge post on alt. To - on batt. And no change with it running. Blew this alt. So any sugestions. Taking it back to orielys.

4.3LXJ
03-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you need a new one.

White hawk
03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the help everyone got it fixed. I bought a new alt. From shucks this morning and had the same problem. So I checked the plug for the alt. And one had 11.47 v and the other had 12.47 v same as battery. I hooked up a ground strap from the alt. To motor and it is charging and working so it wasn't grounding through the mount at all.

But I much appreciate all the help.