PDA

View Full Version : RC 4.5 kit with 3" blocks??

Switch_knuckles
03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I have been lookin at the RC 4.5 lift. I like it and it seems to be a good kit. The only thing is I want a little more lift. But I am on a budget and can't afford the 6.5 long arms. I am not a big fan of lift blocks, but would 3" lift blocks have any negative effects on the RC 4.5?

bigjim350
03-18-2011, 03:07 PM
3" block is a BIG block. If it were me I would order the 4.5" lifted leafs and add a 2" lifted shackle. That would get you were you want to be. Although if you need a little more, you should be plenty safe if you added a 1" block. Just my opnion

Mudderoy
03-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I have been lookin at the RC 4.5 lift. I like it and it seems to be a good kit. The only thing is I want a little more lift. But I am on a budget and can't afford the 6.5 long arms. I am not a big fan of lift blocks, but would 3" lift blocks have any negative effects on the RC 4.5?

RC 6.5" lift is 4.5" leaf springs with 1" or 2" shackle (adjustable). So for $50 you can get the RC shackle and go to 6.5" in the rear.

You can put a pair of $30 2" spacers on the RC 4.5" coil and your at 6.5" in front.

Personally I'd never use a block on the Cherokee leaf springs.

Switch_knuckles
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
RC 6.5" lift is 4.5" leaf springs with 1" or 2" shackle (adjustable). So for $50 you can get the RC shackle and go to 6.5" in the rear.

You can put a pair of $30 2" spacers on the RC 4.5" coil and your at 6.5" in front.

Personally I'd never use a block on the Cherokee leaf springs.

Very nice to know!!! Thanks!!

Mudderoy
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Very nice to know!!! Thanks!!

SYE, brake lines, and drop pitman arm are needed to go to that 6.5" lift (and possibilly shocks)

Bigjim350 will argue with me on the SYE, but I'm just saying what I've read, I think Jim made a deal with the devil or something on his.... :rotfl2:

bigjim350
03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Well if your getting RC anyways, it only $100 more for the 6.5" kit, and it comes with adj upper and lower flex arms, new coils, leafs, and shackles. Also come with shocks, drop pitman arm, swaybar diso, and tcase drop. Pretty much everything you need. And yours being a 95 gives you a better chance of not needing a SYE. But if you do need one, Dirtbound Offroad has a hell of a deal on em. And for the lift give payless_4x a call and he will give you a great price.

bluedragon436
03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
^^ That is true... otherwise you'll be sitting like me... with the spacers and shackles and now I need to pick up some adj. arms to push my axle forward and centered back up... due to only having the lower arm for a 4.5" kit.. Either way I love my new found height, and can't wait to get an SYE... although I have had no issues driving with just a TC drop..

Switch_knuckles
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
So if I go with just the 4.5 kit, besides the parts that come with the kit. I will not need to upgrade or change the steering?

bigjim350
03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
No you won't HAVE to change any of it.

4x4Dalton
03-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Im doing a 4.5 lift and there are no upgrades to steering needed. But thats IMO you may want to ask around and see what others think.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
3" block is a BIG block. If it were me I would order the 4.5" lifted leafs and add a 2" lifted shackle. That would get you were you want to be. Although if you need a little more, you should be plenty safe if you added a 1" block. Just my opnion

X2:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
So if I go with just the 4.5 kit, besides the parts that come with the kit. I will not need to upgrade or change the steering?

Using the lift on the street, or mild off road, no. You may find yourself bending a tie rod depending on various factors if you start getting aggressive. That includes the u-joints on the axles.

OrangeXJ
03-19-2011, 04:18 AM
What Jim said

jdougn
03-19-2011, 08:37 AM

My local jeep shop (in business for almost 20 years) will not even talk about putting a lift block on most leaf springs. They keep a collection of busted blocks at the end of their parts counter for conversation starters. Go with the advice to add hockey puck style coil spacers up front and extended shackles on the leaf spring. Thats how I went from 4" to 6" and I belive it is a much better option.

Because of vibrations, my 98 XJ had to have a new rear drive shaft and SYE when it went to 6" lift. If your XJ starts vibrating at speed it's probably going to be the drive shaft in a bind, or it's too short and trying to come out. Just a suggestion, if you go higher than around 4" be ready to spend the extra money to upgrade other areas just to keep the XJ driveable.
my .o2