PDA

View Full Version : 16"tires on 17" rims?

Switch_knuckles
03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I know nothing about tires. Can 16" tires be mounted on17" rims?

bigjim350
03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Nope they sure can't. Sorry

alwaysxj
03-17-2011, 10:20 PM
16" need to go with 16" and 17" with 17"

Switch_knuckles
03-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. That is what I thought, but on a few of the other forums they said the tires could be stretched.

OverEasy
03-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks guys. That is what I thought, but on a few of the other forums they said the tires could be stretched.

I've never heard of anyone trying to stretch a tire/ wheel combo like that (16 to a 17). The 'stretching' I've seen most recently are the guys who stretch the width of the tires on the wheels. They will use a wider wheel w/ a narrower tire.

For example :
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/ekwpres36.jpg

Supposedly they are (with cars) running the widest wheel possible for clearance issues. Also in RWD it's said, helps with the snap back you get from the sidewalls. I have never/ will never try it myself so I don't know. I do know it has become a style now and is seen everywhere.

I've even seen some 4x guys do it with off road tires. I think (once again IMO) this is never a good idea to do it with a truck that is used for off highway purposes.

Example on a 4x :
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/leroy_nicholas1.jpg

Hope this kinda helps....

Switch_knuckles
03-18-2011, 03:04 AM
I had it done to my VW, but like you said sideways.

OverEasy
03-18-2011, 04:32 AM
I had it done to my VW, but like you said sideways.

Now i'm not going to lie, I do like the way some of the cars look when it's done. I don't like the extreme stretches but the milder ones look pretty good. There is a sweet 78 VW Rabbit running around my area with a mild stretch... I love that little car. (I'm biased towards the older vdubs myself) :thumbsup:

Switch_knuckles
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
VW's was all I owned for the past 10 years before I got The Nasty. I had a 97 Jetta, 89 Jetta, 91 Jetta. I have always wanted a Beetle. But back on the east coast it was kinda hard to find one that was in decent condition. The salt in the air and the moisture kill cars.

OverEasy
03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
VW's was all I owned for the past 10 years before I got The Nasty. I had a 97 Jetta, 89 Jetta, 91 Jetta. I have always wanted a Beetle. But back on the east coast it was kinda hard to find one that was in decent condition. The salt in the air and the moisture kill cars.

Really not trying to derail the thread here but you've got to talking about vw's lol!

Yeah, I've had a thing for them for a long time. We'll ever since I watched the movie Herbie forever ago.... lol!

I had a MK1 Jetta years ago w/ small stuff done. More for just the vw scene than anything, NO rice though. I loved that car and wish I hadn't traded it. I traded it because I was getting into the fast thing and traded for a S-10 w/ a 350 swap. Ohhh boy.... that was trouble (and not mechanically). LOL!

I'd love to get another after i'm done w/ my Sami project.