PDA

View Full Version : Bead Locks!

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I know nothing about bead locks, other than the basic they help keep the tire on the rim and of course they help keep the wheel from spinning in the tire when it is aired down and under high torque situation.

I think as everyone knows they are not legal to run on the street, not DOT approved, but people do it in Texas and get away with it all the time.

I probably can't afford them right now, but I want bead lockers damn it!

Can you put bead locks on an alloy wheel?

Basically tell me everything you know, or point me to a good site. Thanks!

rguignard
03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
yes you can bead lock a alloy wheel but you have to get a alloy bead lock kit and then you have to find someone that can weld the kit to the wheel

heres some sites to look at tony

http://www.trailready.com/wheels.html

http://www.cwibeadlock.com/

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=92500.2XX,92601.7XX,92601.8X X,92603.00X,92803.00X,92803.594X&c=18&cn=Beadlock+Wheels+for+Jeep%AE+Vehicles

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=92500.2XX,92601.7XX,92601.8X X,92603.00X,92803.00X,92803.594X&c=18&cn=Beadlock+Wheels+for+Jeep%AE+Vehicles

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/wheels/beadlocks.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Beadlocks/Beadlocks.htm

the best i can find tony they dont make a kit for alloy wheels

XJ Rat
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I know nothing about bead locks, other than the basic they help keep the tire on the rim and of course they help keep the wheel from spinning in the tire when it is aired down and under high torque situation.

I think as everyone knows they are not legal to run on the street, not DOT approved, but people do it in Texas and get away with it all the time.

I probably can't afford them right now, but I want bead lockers damn it!

Can you put bead locks on an alloy wheel?

Basically tell me everything you know, or point me to a good site. Thanks!

Tony;
Spend your money on something else...All the years off roading (30+), I have blown a bead once. It took us about 20 minutes total to reseat the bead, and air up the tire.

If you regularly run single digit pressures in your tires they are a worthwhile investment. If you gotta have, get these http://www.eco4wd.com/Faqsftp/StaunFaqs.htm . Staun internal beadlocks.

I hear some people say beadlocks are illegal, but call DPS/highway patrol/state troopers barracks, etc. No one can ever tell you the section that makes them illegal. At least that is my experience in California, Pennsylvania and now Texas.

You can buy wheels (Trail Ready & AEV come to mind), but it is also very popular to make them (Stockton wheels will turn yours into beadlocks). Basically turn down the bead, and weld on the locking ring (not easy to do for a novice, but easy to describe).

bigjim350
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Not sure about alloy's. Contact this guy http://www.ceoffroad.com/beadlocks.shtml He is in Spring, so he is local. Also he can cut just about any design you want in the ring, and install em for you. I was talking to him a while back, and he quoted me an amazing price.

rguignard
03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
heres some good ones

http://www.omfperformance.com/beadlocked_wheels.php

easttxhunter
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
If you are doing it for performance you can always go the screw route. My tires are screwed to the rim on my Trans Am. I have run 5.80's at 122mph with low 1.30 six foot times and never had a problem. But bead locks are cool looking.

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 11:59 AM
If you are doing it for performance you can always go the screw route. My tires are screwed to the rim on my Trans Am. I have run 5.80's at 122mph with low 1.30 six foot times and never had a problem. But bead locks are cool looking.

Yep yep, I'm all about looks with functionality, and I really like the looks of it. Okay let the flogging begin...:smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Tony

Beadlocks are getting popular enough that there are many companies that make them. They look cool. But there is a down side. First, bolts have to be retorqued periodically. They can work their way loose over time. Not all of the bead locks seam to do it. I think it is a function of the second pitfall, the width of the bead lock area. Not all tires are the same thickness in the bead area. The bead lock area needs to be matched to the tire you are going to use. Then you don't have the retorque problem. That is why the Baja boys can run a thousand mile race with no problems. They have that all worked out in their million dollar rigs. I have also heard of one exploding on the editor of 4wheeldrive and sport utility magazine. He claims he has a permanent injury from it.

I haven't visited the site in awhile, but OMF makes a weld on bead lock for aluminum rims. There was another I heard about, but cannot remember who it was.

My personal preference is to use a Mickey Thompson simulated beadlock (the rings come in red) with a Staun internal bead lock. To my way of thinking, this is a much better set up except the wheel is not as strong as some bead locks which weigh more than a steel wheel. The reason is that the design of tires have changed somewhat in the bead area. If you push on the outside of the tread, the tire moves over under low pressure and the inside bead deforms and the air is lost on the inside bead. I had this happen to me out in the rocks with my swampers. The inside bead let go instead of the outside bead, the opposite of what you might think. Four Wheeler had an article on this a couple of years ago.

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Tony

Beadlocks are getting popular enough that there are many companies that make them. They look cool. But there is a down side. First, bolts have to be retorqued periodically. They can work their way loose over time. Not all of the bead locks seam to do it. I think it is a function of the second pitfall, the width of the bead lock area. Not all tires are the same thickness in the bead area. The bead lock area needs to be matched to the tire you are going to use. Then you don't have the retorque problem. That is why the Baja boys can run a thousand mile race with no problems. They have that all worked out in their million dollar rigs. I have also heard of one exploding on the editor of 4wheeldrive and sport utility magazine. He claims he has a permanent injury from it.

I haven't visited the site in awhile, but OMF makes a weld on bead lock for aluminum rims. There was another I heard about, but cannot remember who it was.

My personal preference is to use a Mickey Thompson simulated beadlock (the rings come in red) with a Staun internal bead lock. To my way of thinking, this is a much better set up except the wheel is not as strong as some bead locks which weigh more than a steel wheel. The reason is that the design of tires have changed somewhat in the bead area. If you push on the outside of the tread, the tire moves over under low pressure and the inside bead deforms and the air is lost on the inside bead. I had this happen to me out in the rocks with my swampers. The inside bead let go instead of the outside bead, the opposite of what you might think. Four Wheeler had an article on this a couple of years ago.

Great information as usual, but what a buzz kill! :rotfl2:

Yeah I think the Staun is a much better overall solution as it gives you bead lock from both sides. I just hate the idea of fake bead locks, but using those together does accomplish my goal.

I may just have to go with the Staun and be the only one that knows how cool that looks. :D

4.3LXJ
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
You will have two valve stems to prove you have them. Those who know will know you are cool

LizardRunner
03-17-2011, 12:46 PM
the best ones in my opinion are the reworked military hummer rims. True double bead locks, get the 12 bolt model to be street legal. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hummer_Rims/

XJ Rat
03-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Tony;
It appears my reply might have been a little harsh. Sorry, it was the engineer side of me.

My loosing a bead experience taught me a good OBA system far outweighs the benefit of beadlocks. When I blew my bead, the guy in front of me had a York OBA system. I jacked up my Jeep, put a strap on the tire OD, hit the tire with air, and we were off again. This experience caused me to put OBA on my Jeep.

Extreme wheeling or racing, sure, get beadlocks. For recreational wheeling, get the OBA system. If you really like the looks of the beadlocks, get some simulated locks.

I like the looks of beadlocks too, but could not justify the purchase price for the looks. Besides, I would cry when I got rockrash on them. Take a look at any of my rims, they all have at least 50% rockrash.

Mudderoy
03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Tony;
It appears my reply might have been a little harsh. Sorry, it was the engineer side of me.

My loosing a bead experience taught me a good OBA system far outweighs the benefit of beadlocks. When I blew my bead, the guy in front of me had a York OBA system. I jacked up my Jeep, put a strap on the tire OD, hit the tire with air, and we were off again. This experience caused me to put OBA on my Jeep.

Extreme wheeling or racing, sure, get beadlocks. For recreational wheeling, get the OBA system. If you really like the looks of the beadlocks, get some simulated locks.

I like the looks of beadlocks too, but could not justify the purchase price for the looks. Besides, I would cry when I got rockrash on them. Take a look at any of my rims, they all have at least 50% rockrash.

lol no problem Glenn I didn't even notice you being harsh. Yeah price vs. warm fuzzy doesn't appear to be worth it. Just like the rash vs. fun. As long as I don't dent it or remove a LOT of paint, I'm not so concerned. :D

4.3LXJ
03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
One of the reason I like the Michey Thompson wheels is that you can buy extra rings for them. You can have one to wheel and protect the rim and one for good looks. And did I mention they come in red Tony?

Mudderoy
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
One of the reason I like the Michey Thompson wheels is that you can buy extra rings for them. You can have one to wheel and protect the rim and one for good looks. And did I mention they come in red Tony?

Yep I saw those a long time about in the Quad mag. Pretty, but I don't like fake. Well with two exceptions....