PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to the Lift Kit

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 12:51 AM
When I first went to lift my Jeep I had no idea what all would be involved. Many concepts were foreign to me, after several years now and being in, on and under my Jeep I feel more comfortable with how things go together and what needs to happen for a successful lift.

I'm no expert though. Buying a lift kit was a no brainer back when I first wanted to lift my Jeep. Seeing the steps I went from there to where I am today, well I would have done it a little different.

Minimal Lift Kit.

4.5" RC coil springs
4.5" RC leaf springs
Ironman4x4fab.com Adjustable Lower Control Arms
Ironman4x4fab.com Adjustable Track Bar
RC Drop Pitman Arm
Stainless Steel Braided Extended Brake Lines
4" to 8" Shocks (your choice of brand)

Chances would be good that you could find a pair of RC 4.5" coils near new and cheap since people like upgrading to 6.5" lifts.

The transfer case drop is just 1" hard rubber spacers, and longer bolts.

After this I would get...

Ironman4x4fab.com tie rod with tie rod ends
Ironman4x4fab.com adjustable upper control arms

Replace the drag link with a new one just to be safe. I got a MOOG for about $90.

DirtBoundOffroad.com has a very inexpensive SYE solution that I'm looking closely at. For the 97+ XJ's it's $110 and a front drive shaft from a junk yard, or you can get a HD drive shaft from DirtBoundOffroad.com.

I really like the Rough Country stuff, but after seeing, feeling and using the Ironman4x4fab.com stuff, I have no doubt it's about 1000% more bad a$$.

Rough Country has engineered their product to be light and strong, Andy just engineered his to be STRONG! :D

If you are sure you'll be going to long arms, hands down I would get Ironman4x4fab.com. I'll be going to that someday, just gonna be awhile before I can afford it. Right now I'm very secure in my Ironman4x4fab UCAs and LCAs.

Mudderoy
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I received a private message about this post. They were concerned if they should purchase a Rough Country lift after reading this post. So let me clarify.

I love my Rough Country lift, but now knowing what I know now I could skip some steps, skip spending of some money and go directly to the type of configuration I have now on my Jeep.

So this is more a post about how YOU can skip ahead. Learn from what I've done type of post.

I do not regret buying my Rough Country lift, it's been amazing! The one thing I've had a problem with, a bent track bar, was replaced with in 4 days of me reporting it to Rough Country!

Great product that is very reasonably priced and I and two other guys that beat the HELL out of their rigs run it without (or minimal) issue!

Color me a Rough Country supporter! I would happily buy Rough Country parts again and again.

rguignard
03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I received a private message about this post. They were concerned if they should purchase a Rough Country lift after reading this post. So let me clarify.

I love my Rough Country lift, but now knowing what I know now I could skip some steps, skip spending of some money and go directly to the type of configuration I have now on my Jeep.

So this is more a post about how YOU can skip ahead. Learn from what I've done type of post.

I do not regret buying my Rough Country lift, it's been amazing! The one thing I've had a problem with, a bent track bar, was replaced with in 4 days of me reporting it to Rough Country!

Great product that is very reasonably priced and I and two other guys that beat the HELL out of their rigs run it without (or minimal) issue!

Color me a Rough Country supporter! I would happily buy Rough Country parts again and again.

^^^ x2 mine has been 1 of the 2 that get beat on hard :thumbsup:

bigjim350
03-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Well I KNOW ironman4x4 stuff is amazingly strong. But I have been extremely happy with my Rough Country lift, and would buy the same lift again in a heart beat.

prcjeep
03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
ive had my RC lift on about 2 months and i dont think i need to worry about it breaking... I beat the hell out of it and it takes all the abuse.

Switch_knuckles
03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Being new to lifted vehicles, and being in the market for a lift, This was very informative.

afbond03
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
I like this post because I do think most people that have mixed parts have some of the best rigs.
Now I am not knocking on any company. It just seems sometimes this guy does this right and another has the other item down.
I don't take my engine work to my muffler guy kinda thing.