PDA

View Full Version : Rear doors have a gap?

Switch_knuckles
03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I noticed today that my rear doors have a gap at the top. The top of the door sticks out a little compared to the front doors. Can anyone think what might have caused this and how to fix it? It is dark now so I will post pics tomorrow.

bigjim350
03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Are both rear doors doing it? If it bugs you, there are old school body shop ways of fixing it, but I dont think I could explain it. Maybe I can try and make a vid of it.

Switch_knuckles
03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah both doors. The gap is letting water in. I have covered parking at my apartment but we are moving to a place that does not have covered parking.

4.3LXJ
03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
There is a bolted side to the hinges. Loosen them and see if you can rotate the door a little to fix it.

bigjim350
03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
And if that dont fix it. You can put a 2x4 or something between the hinges, while the door is open. The will help hold the door open while you push in on the window frame area. Just push on it enough to get em tweaked in more at the top. Then shut the door and check gaps again, repeat if needed. Just be careful or you could cause unwanted body damage.

toebee97
03-18-2011, 02:06 AM
I have the same problem on my driver side door. A former owner must have replaced the top door hinge and didn't get it perfectly straight when they welded it, so I have a 1/4" gap along g the whole top of the door. Thought about doin the same thing you suggested Jim, but wasn't sure if it would work without breaking the door.

Sent from my CM7 powered Captivate

Switch_knuckles
03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
And if that dont fix it. You can put a 2x4 or something between the hinges, while the door is open. The will help hold the door open while you push in on the window frame area. Just push on it enough to get em tweaked in more at the top. Then shut the door and check gaps again, repeat if needed. Just be careful or you could cause unwanted body damage.

I am gonna try this today. Thanks Jim

RustyXJ
06-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I just discovered that I have the same problem on the front passenger door. What's strange is everything looks like it's aligned properly. Haven't tried bending the door frame yet:pray: Maybe I'll just leave it, it's not like I ever sit there:D

XJ4IV
06-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Ive had the XJ doors bend.... to fix it I strapped a tiedown strap over it and cranked on it pretty good.... it takes a few times but I was able to get mine sealed up ... REMEMBER roll your window first though

panama red
06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
real jeeps have 2 doors.:D

RustyXJ
06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
real jeeps have 2 doors.:D

Do I hear door envy?:poke: