PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Chuck Peacock!!!

4.3LXJ
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Chuck Peacock, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

Chuck Peacock
03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello, right back,

I've got a 97 Cherokee Sport 4WD that's turned into our third car.

My wife got this one off of the infamous "Lynch Road Lot" (which wasn't on Lynch Road, even in 1997). It was supposedly a Chrysler executive's car but if so it came without such "executive" touches as power windows, power locks, etc.

Overall it's been a very reliable thing -- in 10 years I think all we've replaced has been the water pump, the radiator, the electric fan, the air conditioning and the brakes.

Of course, now it's starting to need a little more -- the transfer case has become reluctant to shift out of 4WD and it has a bunch of what I think is chain noise. The tires need replaced and I think it may need fround-end work first. And, oh yeah, the driver's side rear door doesn't open any more and getting to the inside of the door when you can't open it seem to be a real pain.

When I came across this group for XJ owners I thought it might come in handy. I know similar groups for my wife's Saturn Ion Redline and my Mazda RX-8 have been useful.

Chuck

bigjim350
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the site. When you decide to start working on it ask any question you may have, and somebody will be more than happy to help :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Hello, right back,

I've got a 97 Cherokee Sport 4WD that's turned into our third car.

My wife got this one off of the infamous "Lynch Road Lot" (which wasn't on Lynch Road, even in 1997). It was supposedly a Chrysler executive's car but if so it came without such "executive" touches as power windows, power locks, etc.

Overall it's been a very reliable thing -- in 10 years I think all we've replaced has been the water pump, the radiator, the electric fan, the air conditioning and the brakes.

Of course, now it's starting to need a little more -- the transfer case has become reluctant to shift out of 4WD and it has a bunch of what I think is chain noise. The tires need replaced and I think it may need fround-end work first. And, oh yeah, the driver's side rear door doesn't open any more and getting to the inside of the door when you can't open it seem to be a real pain.

When I came across this group for XJ owners I thought it might come in handy. I know similar groups for my wife's Saturn Ion Redline and my Mazda RX-8 have been useful.

Chuck

I have read that the drive chain should be replaced every 100k miles. NP242 transfer cases are notorious for not wanting to shift out of 4wd and back to 2wd. The trick is to poop the automatic into neutral while moving straight (about 20 mph or less) and then press transfer case selector full forward. You should feel a pop and the lever should be fully forward.

cantab27
03-17-2011, 04:01 AM
hi mate and welcome to xjtalk

BrianXJ
03-17-2011, 04:25 AM
:welcome: to the xjtalk family.